Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used set of 1999 3000gt headlamps. They look amazing except in some places it seems as if the clearcoat is starting to come off. I have read numerous posts on the steps to follow in order to restore your headlights for the 1995-1998 3000gt's. Does anyone know if this will also work on the 1999 headlights??? I would assume it would since the '99's are plastic just like the others, although I thought I would try and get some input from people who know before I begin the process! Also, has anyone tried this procedure??? and if so how did it turn out??? I could use a little encouragement...when I think about using sandpaper on plastic I start to get a little scared!!! So, any help or testimonials would be greatly appreciated....thanks!

·
3kgt Driver
3,505 Posts
i have the same question too. im in the process of also buyin used 99 headlights. :confused:

·
Registered
784 Posts
I had clearcoat peeling on one of my '95 headlights. I too was worried about using sandpaper, but it turned out just fine. I did not follow anyone's directions on the process, I've done enough sanding & polishing of my own that I figured it out. The most abrasive I used was 600 grit. I used the cheif aircraft supply plastic polish kit for part of it. I started out using the drill attachment like it said, but it just didn't do the trick. It worked much better when I just did it by hand. I think if you start out doing it by hand you will save yourself hours of work. I spent a total of four and a half hours, but now not only is there no clearcoat peeling off, but all of the little rock chips are gone too. When the lights are on, I can really see a difference between that headlight & the one w/ clearcoat b/c the one I restored looks like new while the other one has all those tiny rock chips that really show up in the light. It should work just the same on the '99, they're made out of lexan too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.