Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys..heres the deal. The whole import performance thing is catching on pretty good right now where i live. I drive a 94 base stock 3000 5 speed. Ever since i got the thing everyone wants to race me. Other guys where i live have gotten imports and everyone is talking about how they have the fastest car. They are also claiming to be able to outrun a friend of mine with a mustang so to shut everyone up me and another friend are putting a race together. I am going up against:

1. 95 Acura Integra GS-R 5 speed with exhaust, lowered compression but no turbo, and header.

2. 98 Honda Del Sol V-Tech 5 speed with a test pipe and header

3. 97 Monte Carlo auto stock...subs and heavy rims.

4. 98 Chevy S-10 SS...I dont know much about this truck but the guy wants to run with us so i guess he is going to.

5. 98 Mustang Gt 5 speed H-pipe, gutted cats, flows, chip.

Now...the guy with the Del Sol claims to be able to outrun all of us, including the Mustang, because he says his car is sooo fast. I can see how he thinks that since he just got out of a 4 cylinder ford ranger. The guy in the S-10 swears he can run with Mustang, and the guy in the Monte Carlo wants to run me for $100 dollars. So we are all going to go out and get to the bottom of things. What I want to know is how do you guys think I will do. I know the Stang is gonna run off and leave me, but what about the others? Do I have a chance? I am a pretty good driver and i know how to keep my car in its power band. Do yall think I will hang with them or get whipped?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well your car is base with no mods... if you said you had a VR-4 or something it would be a different story. I'm not sure to answer your question though. I've never been a fan of Honda's and Acura's that turn into rice rockets so I have no clue. The Mustang will own you though because it has more hp and less weight. Not sore about the Monte.. I would say if it is stock you would be able to take it. I have no clue with the truck.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i used to own a del sol -VTEC, she was a cute thing and zipped along quite well.. and it had a great engine.. 160HP from a 1.6L 4cyl. only 111 torque though.. but didn't matter too much since the car is very light. had a beautifully sounding 8250 rpm redline. I don't have anything against honda's.. I only have problems with the people that modify them very heavily and make them flashy to show off. I can't stand the noise of the exhaust..

Since the Mustang is fairly modified and the del sol doesn't have a turbo/supercharger the del sol will loose out. Assuming everyone gets of the line perfectly and not going to insane speeds.. it should be.. Mustang, del sol, integra, monte carlo, chev SS...

so where do you fit into all of this.. well considering the truck has nothing special and all the mods you listed are correct.. the mustang should win.. i'd say the del sol and integra will give you problems.. the monte carlo shouldn't.. and the truck shouldn't either..

if you're going to fairly high speeds the del sol will fall back its gearing isn't that great so going past about 70-80mph will be its downfall.. as for the integra it doesn't loose out as badly in high speeds, its fairly light and handles well though.

but make sure the integra and del sol do not have super or turbochargers..
generally speaking most trucks don't do well getting off the line but be weary of them when they get going..

you doing some sort of drag or road race ?

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
Versus your 222hp GT, the 98 Mustang being modified will probably get the best of you. I know a guy with a 98 mustang with a K&N and underdrive pulley and it's definitely faster, quicker, and more powerful. The 98's gotmore power than earlier years. It's not faster/quicker by a lot, but it is a faster car. And the guy's a good driver too, not some schlep that doesn't have a clue. The del sol you should get but it'll put up a fight because it's soo damn tiny and light. Integra will probably hang on bu won't win. The Monte Carlo and truck, no idea...

EricB

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is going to be more of a road race. The closest race park to us it Millington Motorsports Park which is about 30 45 min from us. So we are going to all go out one night around 3 or so. There are is a nice 6 laner with a turn lane not too far from us, so we will parobably go out there and line up 3 at a time and make several runs. I just wanted to get it together to shut everyone up about being the fastest. I know that my car is not near fast, but I want to prove to them that they wont blow me away in a race.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably get the best? I would say definately get the best... I hate Mustangs personally but come on now. Even a stock Mustang GT has a stronger engine, more hp and weighs at least 400 lbs less than a base 3000GT. On top of that it has a few mods which would make it beat you even worse. If you had a VR-4 you would own it, no problem. Unless you were going up against an old Rustang 5-slow or something I wouldn't expect much. I agree with the insight about the other cars though.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know for a fact the the mustang is gonna win. The only reason he is even racing is because the guys in the acura and del sol swear that they can beat him. When I told him and told him about the race, he wanted to run simply to embarass them. I know he is going to bust all of our tails, but I wanted him to prove to the others that are mistaken on their assupmtions about his car.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Any TT Stealths or 3000s live close enough to RED3K to lend support? Sorry, bud, but I'm in Philly and my turbos are in Alabama :-(

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if no one can make it well maybe a few idea's on how you're going to race may help you out..

since you can hold you car at the optimum power bands there are few pre-race things you can do..

1) gas up.. was it fill upto about 1/2 or 2/3 tank ?? and get the good stuff!! I like the sunoco Ultra 94..

2) check tire pressure.. also if its gonna be a rather cold night add a little bit of air to make sure you're at spec pressure..

3) since you know where you're going to race either do a practice run before the race.. if that's not possible then try figuring out the racing line by drawing the road you're racing on.. protecting and staying on the line may give you an edge in staying a head the other cars..

4) hmm lets see if we can lighten your car a bit.. maybe taking out the spare tire, jack.. etc.. everylittle bit can help.

5) clean the air filter.. really easy to do.. if its really dirty get a new one asap.. otherwise a good shake and pat may help you get an couple more HPs back..

6) clean the car.. nothing like racing around in a dust heap.. probably not necessary but hey looks help too

though making sure all your grills are clean could be somewhat helpful..

7) general fluid check.. when was you last oil check??.. if its been a while never hurts to get a quick oil change.. heck go synthetic if you do..

hope this helps..

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am about 2 minutes outside of Memphis, TN in a little city called Olive Branch. I have a new air filter on my car, but I could check into the other hints. I keep my oil change religiously, and i know the street we will be on. Its a flat straight stretch for about a mile and a half. Thanks for the help.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<font face="verdana,arial" color=#300050>I know this is an old thread but if Red3K hasn't raced them yet, maybe I can show up, take the front facia off my car, ease up behind him and give him an extra two tires worth of go-go! We'll get that Mustang!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts