Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
3SI #1068
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here goes...

1. It's cold here.. well I get moisture in the car somehow, condensing on my windows, now I keep the windows up... and I don't hear any air sneaking in... anyone have this happen?

2. Ignition sticks sometimes.. I'd say once every two weeks I have to spend like 5 minutes working the key to get it to unlock so to speak

3. Squeaky steering wheel.. I have found some lubricant that is safe with electrical components... I was just wondering if anyone else has had they types of problems...

I realize my car is getting up there in age a bit... I was curious if anyone else has had these things happen...
thanks again...
RICH91ES

B

·
0 Posts
I got rid of an '85 MR2 earlier this year that had every one of those problems. I got rid of the steering squeak with WD-40 once I took the column cover off and found out where it was squeaking. I had to replace the cylinder for the lock to get that to work. I never cured the ventilation problem.

I think your car is just showing it's age.

·
BFA
1,180 Posts
on the ignition part, maybe your key is wearing down. I just got a 92 R/T TT and the key doesn't open the glove box or trunk anymore, and it get's really sticky on the doors. I'm gonna have the mitsu dealer make me another one for about $10, cause I still have the key code on the key. It's just an Idea, but if you have a spare, you should see if you still have the same problem with that one.

Jason

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Hey Jason, before spending big bucks at the dealer (well, okay, 10 is not really big bucks, but I'm a cheap shit), try taking your key to any old regular key-cutting place. I got new ones cut for two bucks each.

But, what's more important for you, I'm guessing your old worn key still retains its original outline, and just has dull and rounded edges now, and since the key guy cuts a key based on the key's silhouette, you'll get a new key that has the original shape but with sharp edges again.

Does this make sense? I inherited two keys with my car, both somewhat worn from years of use, and both giving a little trouble. The new ones are the same shape, but sharper, and work like a charm.

·
Registered
653 Posts
This may sound kind of dumb, but have you tried turning the steering wheel to the left when your key sticks? Mine does this from time to time if I park it with the wheels aimed in a certain way. The ignition key won't budge until a turn the steering wheel until I feel it hit the steering lock. Give it a try net time.

D

·
0 Posts
DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW I WOULD GO ABOUT GETTING A KEY MADE FOR MY TRUNK AND GLOVEBOX THE CAR NEVER CAME WITH THIS KEY SO IM WONDERING HOW I WOULD GET ONE .THANKS

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
It really is not expensive to get a new key from the dealer and they always seem to work better than going to a little key shop. You also can get blanks from the dealer to take to the key shop with the Stealth or Mitsubishi signature. You have to go through the dealer if you want to get one of the vale keys that will start the car but not let someone into the glove box. I know my worn key will not open the glove box but it is supposed to be a plane silver key to give to vale so they can drive you car but not get into what ever you have in the glove box.

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
Dave, there is but one key for the car - it opens the doors, trunk, glovebox, and starts the car.

EricB

G

·
0 Posts
SUTHNR - My 93 SL has a valet key that will not open the glove box but will start the car. It's to give to valet parking attendants so as to offer you some degree of protection and privacy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts