Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
1993 3000GT SL 75,000 miles.
About a year ago I put on a set of 4 coilovers. 3 of them behave perfectly, but the one on the passenger side front makes all kinds of banging noises when I make a turn. It's almost as if the coil is binding on something, then it lets go with a creak or a bang depending on how hard I turn.
I have to get a new tire on that wheel anyway. I don't know if it a symptom of the coilover problem or not, but it is very worn right around the middle. I'll go get a picture - BRB!
And while I had the wheel off I figured I would try and (somehow) slather some grease wherever the spring has a contact point top and bottom. However, if you look at the first picture with the red arrow, you can clearly see where some kind of shim (is the best that I can describe it) has worked its way from underneath the spring. It makes sense to me that this would provide some kind of mechanism to prevent the coil from binding - Si o No?
I also took a pic of the damper - I don't see any evidence of leakage from there.
I assume I can get some coil compressors from VIP, so I guess my questions to you guys are these:
If I can compress the coil enough to be able to work this shim back underneath the spring, how do I make sure it stays put please? I see a sort-of a folded clip at least on one end.
What do you think of my idea of trying to work some grease under the coils if I can compress em enough please?
Do you think something else needs to be adjusted -- like what is that little red cap under the hood for please?
Thanks
Phil
coilover1.png
coilover2.png
tire view1.png
tire view 2.png
tire view 3.png
coilover1.png coilover2.png tire view1.png tire view 2.png tire view 3.png
coilover1.png

·
Registered
165 Posts
Is your strut mount at the top seized/ not turning with your spring? This would cause the spring to make those sounds when you turn. It happened to me and sounded exactly as you describe it. New top strut mount and it's all good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is your strut mount at the top seized/ not turning with your spring? This would cause the spring to make those sounds when you turn. It happened to me and sounded exactly as you describe it. New top strut mount and it's all good.
Hi
First time I heard any noise from it I checked the retaining nut under the hood and I found it was a bit uhhhh...not tight. So I cranked on another turn on the top bolt. Are you saying that I should back that turn off again?
What about that shim that appears to have squeezed out from under the spring please?
Thanks
Phil

·
Registered
165 Posts
From the pics it almost looks like there is no strut mount bearing that turns with your front wheels. It's like rear struts on the front. The tops of rear struts are solid and don't turn but the fronts have to have a mount that turns with the front wheels when you turn left and right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts