Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

341 - 350 of 350 Posts

·
One fix at a time
7,788 Posts
I'm really considering getting a 92.5mm VR4 block, and getting the 74 crank worked on by Ray for the 3.5 setup. I like the idea of running tool steel pins.

Ray (or anyone else that can factually answer) I have a question: Is using your custom piston a necessity or can I use some other pistons?

Been thinking alot, just haven't committed. A few upcoming expenses are in order, but would like to set my VR4 up for a 3.5.
You have to make up for the extra stroke somehow. The piston pin gets moved closer to the top of the piston. The customs pistons are worth it and not much more than others. I like the ring set that comes with them because they're definitely stronger/thicker than OEM by a long shot.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
For this.. it takes a special piston. You can use any 72 rod

Ray, can you explain to me why I would need to run your pistons to get a 6g74 crank in a 6g72 block? I'd like to use my own pistons and rods. If using my own pistons/rods affected displacement, how much we talking?

Separately, what would having a 6g74 crank worked on to fit a 6g72 block come out to? Crank work only.

Thanks

17,342 Posts
like tsb was saying if you run a normal piston it is going to come out of the top of the deck.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
like tsb was saying if you run a normal piston it is going to come out of the top of the deck.
Ahhh, that didn't even cross my mind. Didn't consider moving the pin placement towards the top of the piston in regards to dealing with the piston smacking the head. Good to know! Thanks.

PS - I'm retarded

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
damn i forgit to take comparo pics today. the pistons is waaay different. the compression hight is different as well as a huge dish to keep compression down with the added stroke and reverse dish in the center to clear the rod. the piston is very custon and really neat actually

·
One fix at a time
7,788 Posts
I snapped some pics real quick since I had them sitting in my closest. I need to clean them up, install the rings, and put the motor back together but since I haven't decided what I'm doing yet I've been putting it off. :(

·
Ninja Performance
42,337 Posts
damn i forgit to take comparo pics today. the pistons is waaay different. the compression hight is different as well as a huge dish to keep compression down with the added stroke and reverse dish in the center to clear the rod. the piston is very custon and really neat actually
First time I saw them in person I was "wtf? that's crazy looking"

They definitely work though.

-Chris

341 - 350 of 350 Posts