Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Money pit owner.
2,544 Posts
well, it sounds like a rod or main bearing to me. how is your oil pressure?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No way to tell it doesnt have a gauge also my oil pressure light doesnt come on when the is running but when I pump my breaks up an down the rpms do the same as if there's a vacum leak.

·
Money pit owner.
2,544 Posts
it's weird because once you've heard a bent valve vs collapsed hydraulic valve lifter vs spun bearing, you can become very good at distinguishing the sounds.

I'm no expert, but that sounded to me more like a bearing than any other noise.

probably would be good to have a library of sounds pinned somewhere because we seem to get the "what does this sound like?" question every couple months.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At this point I'm all in an refuse to give up! So main or connecting rod you say? I'm confused myself bc the tapping sounds like it's right on top. I hear no tapping on the bottom.

·
Money pit owner.
2,544 Posts
I admit I've not heard a spun bearing sound specifically on a SOHC car. It seems more common on cars that have been over-boosted.
how many miles on your car?

a failing hydraulic timing belt tensioner also rattles too, i assume a SOHC engine has a timing belt tensioner, do you know when the timing belt was changed?

·
Money pit owner.
2,544 Posts

·
Money pit owner.
2,544 Posts
not as many videos with clear sounds of a spun bearing on a SOHC car, for whatever reason. spun bearing seems to be louder and can actually screech a bit, probably from the friction of the metals. i hope to never hear that from my car lol

I have the original 1mm hydraulic lifters in my car and i usually get a bit of lifter tick if the car hasn't been driven in a while, so i cannot easily relate to the guys that have a constant lifter tick.

I've idled my car with the front valve cover off, oil doesn't spray everywhere, just oozes out at idle, maybe that would help you narrow down the source of the noise.

hopefully some SOHC guys can chime in, the SOHC engine looks quite different from the DOHC cars, but i have to think the hydraulic lifter tick and spun bearing noises are the same with the different engines.

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,683 Posts
Get a mechanic's stethoscope. That'll help pinpoint top or bottom half of the engine. Sounds like a fully collapsed lifter to me but I'm no expert.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Rip the oil filter apart see if there is bearing material and drain oil. If not look other places easy to distinguish.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok guys I'm gonna pull the back cover to expose the rocker arms tm if it doesnt rain I'll update my finds. Btw the engine is quite when warm at idle but once I increase rpms to about 3000 that's when the tapping get loud also love those videos they are helpful to me. I feel like it maybe a lifter or bad rocker *fingers crossed!* 😅

1 - 16 of 16 Posts