Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why is it that my 91 stealth r/t non turbo will accl. to 40 in like nothing then slow down so much going from 40-60? i have a hks smf intake and removed intake resonator. oh yeah and snake eyes convertion which adds like 50 whp! no but really what could i do?

·
Registered
101 Posts
what does the snake eyes convertion do? where can i find new snake eyes? By the way, i got a 91 STealth ES, same engine as yours, and i think i screwed up my 2nd gear a little form wear and tear, might need a new clutch soon

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the snake eyes convertion is just making your headlights shine through your clear piece under the headlight (pop up lights only) and you can find how to do it in the main page of 3si.org and under modifacations i think.

·
Registered
43 Posts
check your spark plugs and wires

Check to see if all your spark plugs are firing properly and check your wires. If a wire is damaged your car will probably do that

·
Bored User
1992 Stealth R/T Twin Turbo
1,146 Posts
bigboyiv: What do you mean "blow off valves" ? Just curious... I'd like to see your car.. shoot us some pictures sometime soon. :D

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
yes something is wrong with your car. I don't know what but that is not normal. My car pulls hard all the way through 3rd gear up to 100 mph. So keep asking around. Maybe it is your 2nd gear synchro, do you beat your second gear a lot?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
A friend of mine that same problem with his SUV. Jeep Cherokee HEHEHE:D ...He took it to the dealer and they said his CAT was the problem. So they replaced it and now it seems fine.:D That could be it but I'm not sure.;)

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
yeah second gear is the gear i use to go intown with. I hope i don't start to have any problems. :(

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
um one the subject of cats, what would be better for money just get my cat gutted or buy high flow cat?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
jon3k said:

Gut the cat yourself = free

.jon
GUTT IT!!!!!!...but, if you want to save the earth buy a FreeFlow CAT. HEHE:D

·
Registered
101 Posts
what is a cat? how much does it cost for a high flow one? recommended brands? thanks

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
A 'cat' is short for Catalitic Converter. It fit between the engine exhaust, and the muffler. It's basicly a filter. A stock one runs about $75-100. I think high flow or free flow cats run all the way up to $200. That sound about right to everyone?

·
og
4,293 Posts
couple of things:

gut your cat, you will most def not pass emissions. bios24, you're pretty much on target with the price of a hi-flow cat altho just about every one i've seen goes for ~$200, stock is going to actually run ~$300 from mitsu w/ the 25% off 3si discount. MOO goes the mitsubishi cash cow :D i'm not going to recommend a hi-flow cat brand because i haven't put one on my car yet, i will be installing an ATR as soon as the down-pipe is finished.

roo1524, you have a couple of possible problems, you have NO other symptoms besides the car not accelerating properly from 40-60 in 2nd gear? do you have problems in any other gears, only under hard acceleration, etc? any odd sounds, does the car slip out of 2nd gear easily without you depressing the clutch, do you have trouble getting it into 2nd gear? more info and perhaps we can help you troubleshoot. right now it sounds like it MAY be a synchro but there are def other possibilities, fouled plug, bad wire, etc tho these symptoms usually persist throughout the gears.

well hope this little bit of info helps, safe travels.

- mike

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well my cars altenator went out about 2 weeks ago and my car is pretty much fine in other gears. clutch is normally disengaged from 2nd and to second um but when i am out racing and stuff my clutch will get reall hot you can smell it pretty bad. hope that helps thanx alot guys.

p.s. so you dont think i would pass emissions with a gutted cat huh? that sux a free mod that would help alot and i cant even do it. how does everyone get away with it?

thanx jesse

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
roo1524 said:

p.s. so you dont think i would pass emissions with a gutted cat huh? that sux a free mod that would help alot and i cant even do it. how does everyone get away with it?

Well you could try to get a stock one that is used and install that one right before you go for emissions tests. Or you can find out if somebody passes inspections if you slip them a $20. HEHE:D . If you want that power you could get a FreeFlow CAT but than you are looking at $200 and sometimes not even passing emissions test as my friend found out. :p

·
One Shizz-rippin' M F
3,554 Posts
You should be pulling the hardest in 2nd between 40 and 60, peak torque is at 4500 which is a little over 40. How could it be the synchro? all the synchro does is equilize the speed of the input shaft and the output shaft when entering a gear so it doesnt grind. when the gear is engaged the synchro is doing absolutely nothing. The problem doesnt seem to make any sense, If it were a bad plug wire (partial connection) it would lose power under load, if it were a clogged cat, it have problems at high revs primarily.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts