Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to think for a while of a older, small, cheap, light, rare car to build the hell out of, then it hit me:

A buddy of mine has a, 72 I think, 240z that's just been rotting for a cpl yrs. I know it was already quick , at least low end when he drove it. I could probably pick it up for next to nothing, if anything. I haven't thought it through at all, just now had the idea, but I'm thinking it would make a great mostly track, sometimes street project car.

Any big hurdles to turboing one of these? How hard would it be to fuel inject it (is that a prerequisite to turboing it)? How are the tranny's? Anyone know the weight? Really any opinions I'd be glad to hear them, especially if they are negative, I'd hate to get into this and then find out it's not worth it.

Obviously a Z forum would be better for this, but the idea just hit me so I thought I'd run it past you guys.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The only Z forum i know of is www.hybridz.org

I guess that forum doesnt offer that much on building up the turbo. But it does offer good info on V8 Z's. :eek:

I think one of the main problems with the older car is rust. Check out the forum and they have some posts about what to look for when getting an older Z.

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
You could part out the engine that's in it and drop in a 2.8 Turbo I6 from a 280ZX. They can handle quite a few horses. The easiest and cheapest thing to do would be a Chevy engine/trans swap. It'd be a hell of a lot faster than a turbo one.

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
I have a 72 240z project car. I inherited it and know nothing about it. I also have a 1968 Datsun 1600 roadster convertable to work on. It will be a good 5 years before I can start working on these cars though. I love them to death, they were definately the "bomb" back in the day!

There is a guy in Orlando who dropped a Grand National motor and tranny into his 240Z. It is stock looking and street legal and he runs hight 10's :eek:

·
Registered
52 Posts
v8 it!

ive owned a 72 240z and did a lot of research on them. They come in 4 speed manuals which is a pain in the ass going 3000 rpm at 60 mph...but you can swap a 5 speed from the newer 280z or 280zx's. Theres a guy in idaho who has a 5 speed and l28 (280z engine_ in his 240. They swap right in and are stronger in the higher rpm's. Then he also has a 350 in another one that he is running 10 second 1/4 miles in. Its amazing what you can do with those cars, even seen one beat lamborhini's and vipers at autocross events on the internet, even on kazaa i downloaded a video of a v8 240 beating an Yamaha R1 drag racing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have owned 3 240's, and still own a '71. There are some good forums out there, and a strong Z internet club.

Here's the deal:

You cannot just drop a 5 speed into a 240 unless it was a 1972 or later. The earlier trans were different, as was the driveshaft and even the trans mounting. Even the hole in the tunnel is in a different spot.

They can be modified to accept a 5 speed, but you would be better of with a 1972 or later.

The V8 swap is awesome, not real cheap, but the rear ends will not hold up to the V8 if you abuse them. You can find a limited slip diff out of a newer style Z car, use the axles from a 260 and the covers from your 240 and get a somewhat better rear end with limited slip.

I know of no easy way to put the V6 of the later cars in where the inline used to go. I am sure it coiuld be fabbed up and installed, but a 350 chevy fits and the parts are available off the shelf.

You can also build a 3.1 litre engine with a 280 block and some 240 rods and a diesel Maxima crank. This is a bit pricey as the pistons are not one of the stock sizes. Any L6 build will be rather expensive as the head work is trick and specialized if done right. The bottom ends are bullet proof, and rarely fail for any reason even when seriously abused.

The cars are light, and if you stick to a stock style engine, they will handle well and can be reasonably fast, but not easily up to modern standards without spending some serious cash.

I'll dig up some boards and links when I get a chance.

Parts are still plentiful, best known is Motorsports Auto in SoCal, Victoria British and a few others. The v8 conversion parts are available from motorsport and a company called jags that run.

Ray

·
Registered
224 Posts
I saw a 280z at our local drag races fitted with a big block. I didnt think it was possible but some how they fit it in. Some beutician from Wichita was driving it. I think she was running low 10s.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.