Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car to Mitsubishi Dealership, cause one night when I was driving from a club I made a right turn and my Engine shut off everything else worked, but my engine wouldn't run...I mean it would turn over, but the joker wouldn't run. The service departmentment told me that I needed a new ECU for the vehicle and that my car had fried the old ECU...Just for future reference...

If you can't start your car on the first turn and your clutch is all the way to the firewall...You might have a blown fuse in your ECU or it might be your battery...Make sure you tell the tech to take a look at the ECU cause that badboy is expensive to replace.

Anyhow Well I it took 5 days to recieve my ECU, cause of the big Anthrax in the mail scare...anyways after they had replaced my ECU I started my car and bam it was running again. Well I don't even travel more than 5 miles and guess what the car dies on me...Everything was on except the most important part of the car the engine. Well when the flatbad tow truck took my car to the dealership it was closed. So they call me in the morning and told me that I had blow a 20V fuse that controls the ECI. Well sure enough I told them to give me a spare one incase it happened again. So they did...I took my car out and not even 20 minutes later that damn fuse blew when I was making a turn...I noticed so far that it blows a fuse when I make a turn...Could it be a wire in the steering column or could it be a grounded wire touching a hot wire under the hood near like the tires? This is confusing and I am not about to pay for the labor cost of this event...They said it could take up to 3 days to find out the problem....sheesh..

Thanks!!

Will

Caracas Red 1998 3000GT VR-4
18 inch Konig Monsoons
K&N FIPK
Eclispe DVD, CHANGER, and LCD Screen
2 10 Kicker VR Comps and Kicker ZR400 amp.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It sures sounds like you got screwed for a new ECU you didn't need.

If this only ever happens during a right turn then I'd say there's definitely something shorting out due to the turning motion. Whether it's in the steering column area (likely) or not would require you to investigate.

Try getting the circuit diagram for that circuit, and tracing the wires. You might find one of them to be exposed. I'd post the diagram myself except I don't have a copy. :)

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
I had a similar problem on one of my DSMs. The problem turned out to be where I'd tapped a wire that left the ignition switch. Those weren't fused except way back at the 'ECU' fuse. My wire ran under the gas pedal, where it shorted out <i>only at WOT</i>. You can imagine how long that took to solve!

Check around your ignition switch, as well as anything you may have connected directly to it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts