Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Mitsubishi seems to be struggling in North America but the newly introduced Eclipse Crossshould help liven things up for the brand’s image.

When the Eclipse Cross name was announced, the internet went crazy because it took such an iconic name from Mitsubishi’s history and people didn’t think it could live up to it. The Eclipse did big things for Mitsubishi as a sports car and it seemed odd that a crossover would continue its legacy. The Eclipse Cross is now available for sale and is an unexpectedly well-sorted product with just a few downsides. Make sure to check out our full review, but here is a quick overview of the pros and cons of this new crossover.
Read more about the 2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross Pros and Cons at AutoGuide.com.

·
Verified ***** Member
408 Posts
I really don't agree with the direction that mitsubishi decided to move.

Engine: 1.5L turbo 4-cyl

Output: 154 hp, 185 lb-ft of torque
So make their vehicles bigger, and with less power? This doesn't seem like it will make the roads safer for anybody, and will no doubt be a very boring vehicle to drive.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
...not to mention the use of "Eclipse" for a crossover is heresy. At least the last couple of eclipses pretended they were worthy of being the DSMs successor.

Can you imagine if they had released this thing as the "1500GT VR4"?
The Mitsu we knew is dead, there's a reason my new car is a Subie.

17,558 Posts
How long before someone beats that "touchpad" to pieces in frustration ! I'm sure its very clever, but who would want to try to operate that while driving?

·
Perfectionist
66 Posts
Actually, we just bought one and this SUV is awesome. We test drove all the competitors and none are as responsive and fun to drive. The shift pedals at the steering wheel make this automatic fun to drive, well, if you are a true driver and not glued to your cell phone. Looks breaks out of the cookie cutter SUV mold and looks very sexy (not 3000gt sexy but still sexy). This is probably the best vehicle Mitsubishi has produced since the 3000gt.
I guess I don't understand people who want an SUV that is like a rocket. That is why I have a VR4, way nicer for extra fast driving every time, no matter what.
Give it a test drive, you will be pleasantly surprised.

·
Perfectionist
66 Posts
How did it compare to the Ford Escape 2.0 turbo?

Coop
Sorry, can't tell you. No Ford's allowed in this household :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
About the same engine config hp/tq as my daily beater Colt CZT but twice the curb weight... And I thought my CZT was slow compared to the VR4

This is a gramma car imo. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

·
Perfectionist
66 Posts
About the same engine config hp/tq as my daily beater Colt CZT but twice the curb weight... And I thought my CZT was slow compared to the VR4

This is a gramma car imo. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Well unless you want to pay 30K to 70K to get your power fix I think it is doing just fine. My wife had no issues following along in 80 miles an hour traffic coming home from the dealer. Yeah, we bought from a dealer 4 hours away from us because we got an amazing deal on the fully loaded SEL model. All the local dealers laughed at me for wanting a price I ended up getting. Guess I have the last laugh.
For me, an SUV is a utility vehicle, meaning it needs to carry people or in our case people and dogs easily and bring home our purchases from different stores. For that, I don't need 320hp or more. Even if it had that it would never handle as well as my 3000GT VR4 so I would waste gas just so I can say I got lots of power in my SUV?
I guess I am not the idiot that tries to race a true sports car with my SUV or truck because even if I could keep up in the straightaways he/she will lose me in a hurry once we hit the curvy roads unless they are incompetent drivers.
This SUV looks extremely sexy, has great lines and curves, has plenty of power to get you in huge trouble with the law, so I fail to see that not having 300+hp is an issue, sorry.
Once again, I got a real sports car for my speed fix. And I had a few trucks and high-cost SUV try to keep up with me and yeah, I had no issues putting them in their place when I wanted to. In most cases, I just use them as my cop catchers and it is fun when they are trying so desperately to get away and they can't.

·
Perfectionist
66 Posts
Then you didn’t drive the competitors. I would think .5L would make a huge power difference.

Coop
Ok, so you would buy a car, SUV, truck only based on power? You get your power fix and you don't care how it looks? Ford's are just not vehicles I would consider based on my experience with them, same goes for VW. I also wouldn't consider Kia or Hyundai. But just about any Japanese built car, SUV is a good choice. But since my whole extended family drives Hondas I am not going that route easily. It was considered though and came in second after the Eclipse Cross. It mainly lost on exterior looks and not having a panoramic sunroof. If I was interested in resale value it would have won hands down though. But I buy vehicles to own until they stop working, I am not wasting money on the get something new every three to four years standard out there.

For me looks is one of the most important issues, second is driving something that isn't owned by everybody and their brother. I don't follow the crowd, never did. I mean just reading the Car and Driver review of the Eclipse Cross is so telling if you pay attention to the stuff they criticize. Most of their issues are totally unimportant issues (like no volume knob, really? can we move on from the sixties please? The vehicle offers THREE ways to control the volume but because there is no knob that is an issue?). And the revving issue they are talking about is not an issue at all if you take over manually since Mitsubishi designed it that way so you still can be a driver and not just steering a car that does everything else.

My biggest complaint about this SUV is actually all the electronic nonsense they need to put in these days for all the incompetent drivers out there. One complaint was that the Eclipse Cross only has a lane departure warning and not lane assist???? Really??? If you need any of this BS get the fuck off the road and take the bus, thank you.

·
Premium Member
17,995 Posts
I am not debating looks. I am debating testing it against other small suv’s. If it’s a daily driver first it has to be reliable, then fun to drive, then looks in my opinion. I honestly thought you had driven both, even the ford 1.6 turbo to be more fair in engine size. But maybe someone else has driven both.

Coop

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I am not debating looks. I am debating testing it against other small suv’s. If it’s a daily driver first it has to be reliable, then fun to drive, then looks in my opinion. I honestly thought you had driven both, even the ford 1.6 turbo to be more fair in engine size. But maybe someone else has driven both.

Coop
+1

Looks? Just to be different?? I don't know about all that. My newest daily driver for work was #1 trunk space to conduct business and #2 the most power and acceleration for fun driving since I drive so much. The... dare I say... 271 crank-hp Honda Accord coupe V6 manual 6-speed (0-60 in 5.6 stock, plus now I have full bolt-ons) perfectly fit the bill. And it looks good... and is reliable. I agree as stated before, Mitsubishi as we loved and knew it is dead. Their new Mirage has 3cyl with 78hp. Seriously??? Everyone from the glory days is either dead or moved onto working with... Kia... making better more powerful vehicles than Mitsu. LOL. From my understanding that's why the Evo died, everyone who designed it left the sinking ship.

·
Perfectionist
66 Posts
+1

Looks? Just to be different?? I don't know about all that. My newest daily driver for work was #1 trunk space to conduct business and #2 the most power and acceleration for fun driving since I drive so much. The... dare I say... 271 crank-hp Honda Accord coupe V6 manual 6-speed (0-60 in 5.6 stock, plus now I have full bolt-ons) perfectly fit the bill. And it looks good... and is reliable. I agree as stated before, Mitsubishi as we loved and knew it is dead. Their new Mirage has 3cyl with 78hp. Seriously??? Everyone from the glory days is either dead or moved onto working with... Kia... making better more powerful vehicles than Mitsu. LOL. From my understanding that's why the Evo died, everyone who designed it left the sinking ship.
Well, I am glad most people disagree with my choice because that is exactly the way I like it. You couldn't pay me to drive a run of the mill Honda Accord. Dependable? Sure, but great looking? No, just average, Fun to drive? sure if you forget how average it looks on the outside.

The 3000gt is not the fastest car out there and certainly not the best deal either but it looks is second to none, you need to go up to serious money before you find anything matching. The amount of people that just started to compliment me on my VR4 (all stock) is just astounding. And what is even more astounding is that half the people thought it was a new model. Heck, even my wife in her base model got compliment after compliment. Of course, that one is sold now to make room for the Eclipse Cross.

But that gets me to dependable. My wife 3000GT was with us for 12 years and was the most dependable car I ever owned. Everything it needed over the years was just routine maintenance and wear and tear replacements like tires, brakes and at the end a clutch. So what else can you ask for? A great looking dependable car is my #1 choice every time.

And the Eclipse Cross falls right into that same category and after now over three months of ownership, both my wife and I couldn't be happier with our choice. But to each their own. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Well, I am glad most people disagree with my choice because that is exactly the way I like it. You couldn't pay me to drive a run of the mill Honda Accord. Dependable? Sure, but great looking? No, just average, Fun to drive? sure if you forget how average it looks on the outside.

The 3000gt is not the fastest car out there and certainly not the best deal either but it looks is second to none, you need to go up to serious money before you find anything matching. The amount of people that just started to compliment me on my VR4 (all stock) is just astounding. And what is even more astounding is that half the people thought it was a new model. Heck, even my wife in her base model got compliment after compliment. Of course, that one is sold now to make room for the Eclipse Cross.

But that gets me to dependable. My wife 3000GT was with us for 12 years and was the most dependable car I ever owned. Everything it needed over the years was just routine maintenance and wear and tear replacements like tires, brakes and at the end a clutch. So what else can you ask for? A great looking dependable car is my #1 choice every time.

And the Eclipse Cross falls right into that same category and after now over three months of ownership, both my wife and I couldn't be happier with our choice. But to each their own. Cheers!
You don't have to convince me about the VR4, it's my favorite car of all time. Mitsubishi sucks now though. They don't even make the list...

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...ion/car-brands-reliability-how-they-stack-up/

They have been near the bottom for a while now. If you are arguing that you think the Eclipse-cross looks better, or is more powerful, handles better...more fun to drive... whatever it is... then you are out of your mind. No offense, even though you think my Accord sucks. Given a poll, I'd be willing to bet that most people who care about the things you said you care about, they would much rather have my Accord... easily. My car isn't stock, anyway. Coilovers, rims, full exhaust, 3.7L plenum and TB upgrade, K&N intake and a tune. I out handles my VR4 hands down, though I hate to admit that.

·
Perfectionist
66 Posts
Mitsubishi did suck for quite some time. That is why they are making a real effort to reverse that trend and the Eclipse Cross is that first effort and maybe last effort too. At the dealership, they told us that Mitsubishi is quite unhappy with their sales here and are really considering to withdraw from the North American market.

After the 3000GT this is probably the sexiest vehicle they have produced. Many people compare it to the Lexus SUV at half the price. And I must admit, looking at them online after hearing this comparison, Mitsubishi maybe borrowed from them :). The EVO was as average looking as can be and just as boxy as a Subaru WRX. Sure, fast, but man, nothing to look at at all. Heck, I even think your Accord looks better than any EVO.

It always boggled my mind that anybody who loved a 3000gt could love an EVO. I guess that must have been solely based on performance and not looks because we are talking swan and ugly little duckling here.

Also as I said already I don't base my vehicle purchase on what other people buy, I buy what I know to be a great vehicle at an incredibly low price. And I couldn't love people like you more because as long as you guys are dumping on Mitsubishi they are forced to sell for less even though their product is right up there with the others. Of course, there is the worry that the dumping becomes too much and they pull out of our market as I said before but hopefully not.

·
Perfectionist
66 Posts
...not to mention the use of "Eclipse" for a crossover is heresy. At least the last couple of eclipses pretended they were worthy of being the DSMs successor.

That would have been awesome. Of course, in that case, it would have been a twin-turbo engine not just single.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts

That would have been awesome. Of course, in that case, it would have been a twin-turbo engine not just single.
Dude, you talking to yourself now just to feel better about your purchase? A 1500GT shit show would be awesome?? Just stop... lol.

·
Awesome avatar eh?
464 Posts
Mitsubishi is quite unhappy with their sales here and are really considering to withdraw from the North American market.
This is reason enough to not buy anything from them. What good is a warranty if they're not around to honor it? Mitsubishi sucks now. If they built cars people wanted they wouldn't be considering pulling out of the market.

Previous 3000gt owners are interested in evos because they are stick shift, awd, turbo, they handle better, can be made faster more easily, can carry more than one passenger comfortably, better aftermarket support, etc, etc...

Looks are subjective, what looks good to you, might not look good to someone else.

I hope the new car works out for you.

·
Pro xfercase destroyer
5,423 Posts
More of Mitsubishi going in a direction nobody cares about.

Nearly every car manufacturer has something similar. This does not set Mitsubishi apart in any way at all. The only way they are going to get customers back is to offer something truly special. This ain't it...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts