1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeff,

I was looking through your transmission pages and came across this link:
http://www.geocities.com/lutransys/jlucius/2-AWD6.htm#Front

Your graph shows a top speed of over 200MPH on a 5 speed and 225MPH on a 6 speed?

I thought we could only hit around 175MPH? I know you have to have the HP to actually push the car to overcome the wind resistance, however I thought the gearing wouldn't do it....

???

Travis.

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
He's right, and TT's top speed is 160 in 4th gear, limited by power, not gearing.

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
Just as the above gentlemen state, the gearing is there but not the power (stock).

For example, 100 mph requires ~50 HP to overcome wind resistance. At 125, that figure goes up to 100 HP. At the factory-rated top speed of ~155 mph, ~160 HP is required to overcome the wind. I think you get the idea. At 175 mph, ~300 HP is required for aerodynamic loss, 100 HP for drivetrain loss, and about 40 HP for tires. 200 mph would require about 400+ HP just to push against the air!

·
UP THE IRONS!!!
3,129 Posts
Exactly......that is "theoretical yield" that doesn't take into play density, temperature, atmospheric pressure, humidity, wind, or added weight.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Jeff Lucius said:
Just as the above gentlemen state, the gearing is there but not the power (stock).
Would the transaxle overheat at that speed? It doesn't have an oil cooler ...

·
Registered
606 Posts
ummm, i'm not going to mention any names, but someone on this board recently hit a legitimate(guaged by speedo and one of those nifty computer gadgets which i don't know the name of:rolleyes: ) ~198mph in a first gen TT.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Toxic13 said:
ummm, i'm not going to mention any names, but someone on this board recently hit a legitimate(guaged by speedo and one of those nifty computer gadgets which i don't know the name of:rolleyes: ) ~198mph in a first gen TT.
GPS

·
Registered
606 Posts
that's it, thanks!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
????

Doesnt factory computer have a rev limiter and a speed limiter......after a certain point it will hit fuel cut......I'm not sure since i'm not that crazy to find out.But i know one of my friend have a Honda civic and it used to hit fuel cut when it hit 120mph.....The car would totally shut down.And i also have tryed this on a Ford Explore it does the same thing at??? i don't remember what mph.But this cars have a factory speed limiter i believe we do too.:confused:

V

·
0 Posts
I believe that we have rpm limiter at around 7200-7500 rpm,
but I don't think 3/S cars have speed limiter.My friend's 2000
Civic EX hits the limiter at 125mph.The limiter doesn't shut
the whole engine down,it only kicks the speed back to around
115 mph.For the new Accord,the limiter is at 140mph.

·
HIGHRISK
501 Posts
What the heck is that thing that medicguy posted a pic of? How much does it cost and where do you get 'em from? Looks really cool!

·
curt93T/T
5,079 Posts
I believe Rob was the one showing off the GPS. Our cars don't have governers as far as speed goes. The Rev limiter is a safety feature so you don't blow the motor. I believe at 160 the RPM range in 5th is like 5 grand and some change.

·
Registered
606 Posts
yeah, that's the GPS that i was talking about. he said he was at redline in fifth at that speed.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
No Eric, we don't have a speed limiter, and as I recall it was either 5200 or 5400 (hell maybe it was 5300) doing 160 in 5th gear.. been a little while since I had that up there... but pushing the rev limiter (which with added power you will do) will increase the top speed due to gearing as well. so that 200mph top on the 5 speed tranny, becomes even higher, do to the fact you can rev higher, if you were producing the power.. I beleive at 9000 rpm in 5th, on a 5 speed, you are doing about 225 mph..

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
No speed govenor????

This is weird:confused:......i never thought that our ca don't have speed govenor:confused:.Even a golf cart have a speed governor these days.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did some testing....

.... I was on the freeway after I posted this thread and noted that I hit 60MPH at exactly 2000RPM. Then I ran it up to 3000RPM and hit 93MPH. That's a difference of 33MPH in 1000RPM in 5th gear.

Because I'm in the same gear, it should be linear. So, if you add approximately 33MPH per 1000RPM given that I hit 60 @ 2000RPM, then my 91TT should be able to hit 225MPH at 7000 RPM (I think the speedometer gear issue the 91's have is affecting the numbers). So, if I take that into account, 200MPH @ 7000RPM should be the number for the 5 speeds. If I was crazy enough to put a G-Force chip in, then I could hit 230MPH....

....now, how much HP would it take to hit 7000RPM in 5th?

I'm not going to try it :p, but I'd like to know. If I have 450HP @ the wheels, then could I hit 200MPH?

Travis.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts