Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

2000 VR4... is it real?

1K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  New2MeStealth 
#1 ·
Have a friend that says he owned a 2000 VR4. I said no way since they stopped making them in 99. He insisted that it was a 00 since he bought it from a guy in laredo (or del rio, I always get them mixed up). Said the guy special ordered 13 from mitsu and had his name engraved on the dash. I was convinced he was pulling my leg, but he says he has pictures. Was even familiar with the different color schemes of 3s's. *shrug* He traded it for a diamante (well, sold it, then paid cash for the diamante). His wife wanted a diamante.
What do you guys think? Is he full of it? I haven't seen the pics yet (haven't seen him since last weekend).

#2 ·
Let me be the first to say I'd be very surprised if this was legit. This is the first I've EVER heard of a 2000 series.

Elton

#4 ·
I told him it had to be a leftover 99, but he was positive it was a 00. *shrug* Maybe I can get a VIN off of him and we can run it.

#5 ·
I didn't get my '99 until Jan of 2000, and it wasn't a leftover on the lot either. It simply wasn't shipped until then. Inside the door frame is the sticker that says it was made/completed in August of '99. Based on the VIN and the total number of '99s, I'm guessing mine was one of the last couple dozen or so ever produced.

For what it's worth, that last batch of them came into the Port of Houston and were disbursed from there.

I say he had a '99 that was shipped in with the '00 models. There simply were no 3000GTs titled as 2000 models. They don't exist, period. No way, nada. You'd have more luck tracking a bigfoot than the elusive '00 3000GT :D :D

#6 ·
I'll see if he has a VIN. He says this guy special ordered them... hehe, maybe I should bet him something... LOL

#9 ·

my work here is done

#11 ·
GTO was cancelled in 99 too. When was the last time you heard of any large manufacturer custom building a limited quantity of cars just because some schmoe asked them? Umm, I'd like GM to build a dozen 2003 Firebirds, even though they're shutting down the factory this year.

The only companies I've heard of who will special build cars are the boutique guys like Ferrari. You need to have a title like "Sultan" to get them to do things like that :D

#14 ·
Maybe I got a brain tumor or something, but didnt they call the 1st of the eclipse spyders "3000gt spyder".

#16 · (Edited)
as far as I know the GTO went on being made till the 2001....
as the same 3G car (are 99) on the GTO that body stile was 98-2001 I think)

but you would be better to ask some 1 from over there....

Kinda like the 3G RX-7 thy stoped comming here, what in 96, 97?
but were still sold over there till 99

#18 ·
He says he had one but not now. He says he has picks but you havent seen them. It was special ordered but he later traded the motherfucker in for a Diamante? A damn DIAMANTE? WITH HIS NAME ENGRAVED IN THE DASH? I'm sorry but his head is so far up his ass you can't tell where one end starts and the other begins. If I'm wrong then he's wrong. It ain't no 3000GT.

#19 ·
he's full of shit...mitsubishi would lose money "specially creating" 13 3000GT's in 2000...it's not economically or profitably logical for them to do that. These were great cars, but they're not exactly "Collector" cars in the eyes of big business (afterall, sales were dropping fast)..

Now, if someone can confirm or deny the existance of 2 Green Spyders or the elusive 3 or 4 '97 Spyders, I'll be impressed :)

-Aaron
'94 R/T TT
'95 VR-4 Spyder
'95 Pearl Yellow R/T (belongs to Mom)

#22 ·
Dam Matt, you own a Viper ACR too!!! Geezus!!! Share the wealth :)

This guy probably thinks that the 3G V6 Eclipse was a GT because it's a 6 cyl. Hell, he probably calls his Diamante a GT because the engine is similar.

Ya, it's a twin turbo VR4, with 4 doors . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.