Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Lord of Eagle's Reach
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is probably a dumb question, but i just ordered a set of engine monitoring gauges including an EGT. now a friend of mine with a 300ZX TT seems to think that i need two EGTs because i have 2 turbos. do i or not - i wouldn't think so, but i have been known to be wrong before ;)
Matt

·
og
4,293 Posts
theoretically, you would need two egt probes because you have 2 exhaust manifolds (one for each bank of three cylinders). however, practically speaking, one in the rear exhaust manifold should do you just fine. i don't believe the turbos actually have any effect on the egt altho they are exhaust driven since you want to tap the egt as close to the engine as possible. well that's my 2c but i would def verify this info with someone here who has a tt. not much help but i thought i'd share... safe travels.

- mike

·
465awhp
1,632 Posts
I have 2 Greddy EGT gauges. The front exhaust manifold is always about 200 Celcius hotter than the rear exhaust manifold. It's recommended to get both gauges so that u could monitor both exhausts. By the way, they look cool too. Greddy is the cheapest of all.

Black94VR4

·
og
4,293 Posts
:D there ya go! i guess it makes more sense on a tt since you want to monitor how hot the temp is flowing TO your turbo... precautions never hurt, neh?

- mike

·
I need more cars
2,360 Posts
Black94VR4 said:
I have 2 Greddy EGT gauges. The front exhaust manifold is always about 200 Celcius hotter than the rear exhaust manifold. It's recommended to get both gauges so that u could monitor both exhausts. By the way, they look cool too. Greddy is the cheapest of all.

Black94VR4
I thought the best place to monitor was the rear if you only have one plug because that manifold has the leanest cylinder. So why is the front manifold always hotter?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.