Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

So my 2 bolt motor has decided to kill itself and I don't want to spend the money rebuilding the 2 bolt engine.

I want to try to source a 4 bolt motor here in the UK and put this into it, however i do believe some sensors are different.

I recently had my 1992 ECU rebuilt and hoped to use it, Can I use the 92 ECU on a 4 bolt engine?

Finally are there any special notes I need to be aware of with changing the engine or is it a direct swap?

Will me 5 speed 1992 gearbox still mate up to it fine?

Thanks!

·
SDSU Alumnus
4,551 Posts
Yes, not really/kind of, yes, and yes...

The info is all there to search. If you get a fully assembled long block, then it will drop-in just fine... no need to concern yourself with oil pump, pan, cog, and lower timing cover.

You may or may not need to swap CLT sensor. Easiest route is transfer your optical CAS mount and sensor to rear cylinder head, or you can just run the two hall effect sensors (CAS+CPS) with minor wiring or adapter harness.

Other smaller details depend on what is acquired and used. Unless you have big plans for power, there is little reason not to rebuild a 2-bolt. Anyone who thinks otherwise is ill informed.

-sent from my Galaxy S22 Ultra

Reactions: luisitol

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, not really/kind of, yes, and yes...

The info is all there to search. If you get a fully assembled long block, then it will drop-in just fine... no need to concern yourself with oil pump, pan, cog, and lower timing cover.

You may or may not need to swap CLT sensor. Easiest route is transfer your optical CAS mount and sensor to rear cylinder head, or you can just run the two hall effect sensors (CAS+CPS) with minor wiring or adapter harness.

Other smaller details depend on what is acquired and used. Unless you have big plans for power, there is little reason not to rebuild a 2-bolt. Anyone who thinks otherwise is ill informed.

-sent from my Galaxy S22 Ultra
Thanks,

If I do this route ill try to get a fully built engine so I have all that is needed as opposed to a block.

As for the 2 bolt engine, its not that it cannot be done but more a cost side of things.

My engine would need to be fully rebuilt and I maybe looking circa 1500-2000 for this (providing my spin bearings haven't demolished the case) for this money I can get a 4 bolt running engine which makes more sense.

i unfortunately dont have a lot of money so doing this somewhat on a very low budget.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts