Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Robotics Engineer
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this still of any interest to anyone? What value would one place on having the factory ROMs for non-99 programmable ECUs?

I know a few of you would like the ability to see the original fuel maps, which may aid in tuning. I feel like a lot of "advanced" owners are well beyond that by already having a solid understanding of how to tune on 3rd party platforms or with someone that can perform that task for them.

The only thing I can think about is a programmable factory ECU which may be more cost effective.

Just bouncing some thoughts. I won't say much else from that point.

·
Premium Member
7,032 Posts
I don't believe the early ROMs to have any significant mapping differences from the 98-99 ROM that we do have ready access to.

·
Robotics Engineer
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't believe the early ROMs to have any significant mapping differences from the 98-99 ROM that we do have ready access to.
Interesting, how was that concluded? observing what the ECU was doing externally?

·
Premium Member
7,032 Posts
Some of the early ROMs have been disassembled and posted. stealth316 has the maps for a 95 listed.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
There are enough differences that building a base map for one car may be nothing like the base map for another car. Your car WILL need individual tuning, especially with a different turbosystem and exhaust mods that improve VE, and if you're overflowing the factory FPR at idle, which you most likely are with that fuel pump. Better get tuning from scratch. :)
Just food for thought.

Peace

·
Robotics Engineer
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some of the early ROMs have been disassembled and posted. stealth316 has the maps for a 95 listed.
The 1995 rom is the only one I am aware of and it is not complete. Only 2 out of 7 maps.

Just food for thought.

Peace
I don't necessarily agree. One VR4 or NA will be similar to another in the same year group. Where aftermakert changes have been made moving away from stock, having a base to start on that is reliable is better than starting from scratch. Most professional tuners can adjust the base maps based on setup differences such as larger injectors which may have a larger delay.

17,476 Posts
A 99/chrome ecu installed in a 1G will run it perfectly once you adjust the timing map slightly to compensate for the differences in pickup comp delay for the 1G vs 1G crank/cam sensor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts