Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
~Airborne all the way~
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If i was to start buying 1992-1993 3000gt vr4's and did the full 1999 conversion on them, combat wing and all, would anyone actually buy them? Im seriously thinking about doing this and want some imput.
Would you want the 94+ dash?
Would you want the 18" chromies?
The 6 speed transmission?
If it was exactly like a 1999 vr4 with all the tune up done and ready to go with around 100k what would you pay for it?
If i did this i would also polish/paint engine compartment and do the full tune up so it is set for 60k
Would leaving it a 5 speed, and same dash be ok?
Colors to be painted?
Would you want all basic bp done? (intake, exaust, boost)
I would like any information from everyone.
I am 18 years old with the knowlege, skill, tools, as well as the funds to do this.
Thanks
-Jess

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
i don't know about the others but i would just like to modify the front end of my 92 VR-4 to look like the newer ones. i don't like the pop ups very much in comparison. i also like the turn signals on the side like icemans ride but that is probably way too much work. any estimates on the light/hood conversion cost wise or any suggestions in general?
thanks

·
~Airborne all the way~
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1999 front end conversion estimates
94+ hood about 500-600$
99' Bumper about 450-500$
99 headlights 800-1000$ For both
maximum 1999 front end cost 2100$
minimum cost 1700$
Dont forget that your bumper, headlights and hood will bring around 1000$ on ebay.
-Jess
(1999 combat wing is around 450$ too)

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
thanks man,
that is about the same prices as i have heard from other people but i didn't take into account selling mine on ebay. that is a great idea! how fast do you think i could sell them. not that i am going to do it any time soon but when i do do it, i don't want to have a car with no front end for a month before i can get the money for a new one you know. i am not to down with the combat wings, i like waveing my active aero in peoples faces after smokin em:p . when i do this conversion, i am going all out with a carbon fiber hood and aftermkt front bumper. do you know where i can get a good CF hood (2nd gen)? scoops are a plus!
thanks

·
~Airborne all the way~
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know http://www.Importfan.com sells carbon fiber hoods for our cars.
Hood scoops and vents cost hella money. I would recomend asking aorund your town, like a welding shop, as they will make you the scoop or vents how you want them, for a fraction of the cost..litterally. I took them a picture of the ram air pics off the firebird (the nostril looking things) and they estimated 100 bucks with labor, and less than a day. I didnt go through with it because i photoshoped the pic and it just looked horrible. (hehe)
-Jess

O, as goes the seeling stuff on ebay, headlights, hoods sell easily, i avent seen a bumper go up yet, so im not sure.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I work at an auto body shop and I'm at work. These are the part prices that came up on the computer.

502.25 - Bumper Cover
588.12 - Headlights (each)
70.30 - Turn Signal (each)
340.88 - Fog Light (each)
635.85 - Hood

The total I got is 4752.53 with 3181.97 for parts. We charge $60 an hour for labor. There is 11.1 painting labor hours and 6.4 body labor hours. That's for cosmetic stuff. There might be things underneath the bumper cover that you might need to replace or modify.

It would probably be easier to get a 2nd gen than a 1st gen. You would save costs because of the lights, hood and turn signals.

·
Registered
30 Posts
bad idea

this would not be a good business venture. it would cost you more to do the conversion on each car than you would make. youll still be selling a 93 3000gt, not a 99 just cause it has the same front end. where does an 18 year old come up with that much money anyway?

·
~Airborne all the way~
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get hit by a drunk driver who left the scene, and get a bad case of whiplash and you will find out
:p
-Jess

·
Me Tarzan..u Jane
4,002 Posts
lowest prices I can find

94+ prices from www.partznet.com
$575 - hood
$362 - bumper cover
$441 - headlights (each)
$42 - signals (each)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts