Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i was just wondering how much can you do to an SL to get it faster. I am looking to get either an Vr4 or and SL. But the VR4's are so expensive. So just wanted to know if i can an SL pretty fast. You know like adding turbos and such. So if any one can help, it'll be really appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Me Tarzan..u Jane
4,002 Posts
yeah it is possible to make an SL fast, expecially if your gonna strap some nice size turbos on to it. The only disadvantage would be not having AWD to plant the power, but without the AWD you have a lighter car so there is an upside. But if you are gonna add turbos and get it up to a VR-4 perfomance level your gonna sink so $$ into an SL

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Moding up a SL to compete with a VR-4 will be more money in the long run but atleast you wont be paying that much for insurance. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know i have to put in a lot of money but i am thinking the money i use to buy a vr4 i can save some of it and buy a SL and use the rest to mod the SL. But i am trying to get as much input so i can decide on what to do. Just want a really fast car....^_^

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do what you want.;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wondering are there a lot of mods for a SL?
Intake, Exhaust, Turbos, intercoolers, etc.....

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The unfortunate bottom line:
To get near VR-4 performance out of an SL, you'd have to spend some serious cash. Nitrous, intake, exhaust, ecu, underdrive pulley, flywheel, and more, and it'll cost you around 8-10k to pull 300hp out of a N/T. If you're looking into adding turbos, a twin turbo kit equaling that of the VR-4, would run you around 10K. ($9350 as quoted by TEC. That's parts alone.) I used to have a 95 SL, and was looking into it as well, so... yeah. You'd be better off going with a VR-4. They are expensive, but well worth it. I traded my SL in for a VR-4 and paid $1500 after everything. My VR-4 is in better condition too.
The '99 VR-4 will run around 30K at a dealership, you may be able to find one a lil' cheaper. The '99 SL will run about 17K-22K. If you haven't driven one yet, I suggest you try to find a VR-4 to test drive. You'll be amazed. :) But, as was stated before, do what ever you see fit! :)

4,448 Posts
hey spdracer, go to the gatherings forum and check out the king of prussia gathering thread!! come out and meet some guys on friday night at hooters and then again on saturday morning for a show there at the KofP hooters!!!

the SL doesn't have too much stuff to do to it... but the possibilities are endless with $$ :D especially in philly... we have a certain mechanic across the bridge in NJ (hans) :D

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
unclesam099 said:

the SL doesn't have too much stuff to do to it... but the possibilities are endless with $$ :D especially in philly... we have a certain mechanic across the bridge in NJ (hans) :D
Thank God I live in NJ. HEHE:D

·
'91 & '92 VR4s + '99SL
544 Posts
TenshiVR-4 said:
The '99 VR-4 will run around 30K at a dealership, you may be able to find one a lil' cheaper. The '99 SL will run about 17K-22K. If you haven't driven one yet, I suggest you try to find a VR-4 to test drive. You'll be amazed. :) But, as was stated before, do what ever you see fit! :)
You won't find a '99 SL around here for any less than 24K(with high miles), usually 26K and up. Hell you'd be hard pressed to find anything other than a base model around here anyway. Forget about finding a VR4 from '97 or newer. I had to go over a hundred miles to find a beat up '97 VR4 and I was happy to locate it.

·
I'm HISPANIC dammit!
1,783 Posts
You guys are forgetting....

The supercharger kit that is now available for the SL. According to Geoff, you get similar gains that you get on the SOHC (about 70 hp and torque. That makes the SL jump to 292HP, and 275 ft/lbs torque, at about 500 lbs less. You'll never get a VR-4 off the line (what can?) but damn if you won't walk a stock one from a roll. And that's set at a conservative 5psi. The kit costs $4k, though I higly reccomend a hard pipe kit, BOV, intake, exhaust, and AFC. So total, you're looking at 5500-6k on top, if you do most of the installs yourself (excluding exhaust). And it doesn't have to be all done at the same time, so whenever your budget allows, you can do things one step at a time.

·
Registered
856 Posts
TenshiVR-4 said:
... and it'll cost you around 8-10k to pull 300hp out of a N/T.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but:
Intake: $150 - 2hp
Exhaust: $600 - 10hp
UD Pulley: $150 - 10hp
75shot dry kit: $575 - 75hp

222hp + 2 + 10 + 10 + 75 = 319hp

.jon

·
Registered
856 Posts
Re: You guys are forgetting....

Super C said:
The supercharger kit that is now available for the SL. According to Geoff, you get similar gains that you get on the SOHC (about 70 hp and torque. That makes the SL jump to 292HP, and 275 ft/lbs torque, at about 500 lbs less. You'll never get a VR-4 off the line (what can?) but damn if you won't walk a stock one from a roll. And that's set at a conservative 5psi. The kit costs $4k, though I higly reccomend a hard pipe kit, BOV, intake, exhaust, and AFC. So total, you're looking at 5500-6k on top, if you do most of the installs yourself (excluding exhaust). And it doesn't have to be all done at the same time, so whenever your budget allows, you can do things one step at a time.
For the $8-$10k described above you could add a supercharger as well as some serious engine work (bottom and top end), and run some seirous boost as well. You'd DEFINATLY be smoking vr-4's then :)

.jon

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Yeah Im sure with the SuperCharger Kit we can take the VR-4's on a Roll because of the Drivetrain loss but from a stop we will get eaten up cuz we just dont have the ability to get all that power to the ground with FWD. DAMNIT:D

Is there any predictions on what the DOHC should be able to run if the SuperCharger and all is components are installed??????

:D

·
Registered
856 Posts
4u2nv said:
Yeah Im sure with the SuperCharger Kit we can take the VR-4's on a Roll because of the Drivetrain loss but from a stop we will get eaten up cuz we just dont have the ability to get all that power to the ground with FWD. DAMNIT:D

Is there any predictions on what the DOHC should be able to run if the SuperCharger and all is components are installed??????

:D
Note: you won't win because of drivetrain loss. A supercharged 3k running around 9-10psi of boost (would require upgraded internals) will produce more crank horsepower than a (STOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) vr-4.

.jon

·
'91 & '92 VR4s + '99SL
544 Posts
With upgraded internals, 10+ psi boost, LSD, and drag radials, it should be reasonable to get into the 13s in the quarter. With a few squirts of NOS, who knows how low you could go..........I would think 12s would be reachable at that point.

·
Registered
856 Posts
so lets break it down:

1. Engine work ($4k)
2. Supercharger (< $4k)
3. LSD ($1k)
4. NOS ($500)

12's for under $10k? You guys really think its possible?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
jon3k said:
so lets break it down:

1. Engine work ($4k)
2. Supercharger (< $4k)
3. LSD ($1k)
4. NOS ($500)

12's for under $10k? You guys really think its possible?
LMAO!!!!!!:D

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
ok... lets break it down like this.

you have a vr4... 3700lb
you have a sl...... 3300lb

100lb = aprox 10hp to the wheels, take off 400lb.. you got a extra 40hp.

lets say the supercharger adds 70hp to a DOHC... 222+70=292hp.. add that extra 40hp to the wheels.. its gonna get higher.

With a few more cheap mods... you'll EASILY be in the 12's.

from a 30mph roll a sl with a TT engine will EASILY take a vr4, not by alot.. but a wins a win.

do the math

:D :D :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts