Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 gt fwd non turbo 3000 gt 3.0 single over head.. I need help.. I have trouble getting it into 1st and reverse.. I either have to shut the car off n put it in those gears or jam it in there.. (Very embarrassing) I've read some of the forums and I just don't understand no one really says what COULD b the issue it's just talk... I do have a leak under my clutch pedal at the fire wall.. My fluid has not ran out (thank god)... So do I need to replace my clutch??? N if so how do I go about doing this.. I have helped replacing a clutch b4 on a ranger but these foreigners are a lot different....any input would be greatly appreciated... Thanks Christina

·
Registered
1994 Mitsubishi 3000gt VR-4
11 Posts
I'm learning things as I go but from what you're describing, it sounds like a "find it or grind it" situation.. it COULD be your clutch, but I'm leaning toward synchros.. That's just my uneducated guess. I have a '94 VR-4 with 110k on the clock that I just got delivered last wednesday. Wife and I have put about 500 miles on it since then and I've noticed some difficulty getting it into reverse once in a while. I've also noticed that shifting from 1st to 2nd will produce a subtle grind.. almost imperceptible.. I'm not new to driving stick, and my best friend is an experienced mechanic. He agrees with me about mine, 1st and reverse synchros are on the way out.

That being said, my clutch is also on the way out. Why? well under normal driving conditions, you'd never notice it.. but since it's a new toy, you know for sure I've given it some wide-open-throttle.. I've noticed some gentle slippage under maximum torque at the top of the power band. The car is very driveable, but it's giving me early warning signs that I need to drive her gently until I'm ready to drop the trans.

I hope that helps you at least a little.. I can't really answer your question, but I can at least describe my situation. Maybe they are similar. I would bet that someone in this forum will be able to help more, there's some very smart folks floating around here.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
3,065 Posts
I do have a leak under my clutch pedal at the fire wall.. My fluid has not ran out (thank god)... So do I need to replace my clutch???
Sounds like you just need to replace your clutch master cylinder, because it’s not likely moving throw out bearing forks far enough to completely disengage the clutch (indicated by the leak). It would require replacing it purging air from system all the way down to slave cylinder at yoke of the forks, then making sure the travel adjustment id correct to completely disengage clutch afterwards.

You can search clutch master cylinder on this site and probably read until you're paralyzed. :)

There's other links covering replacement of clutch master cylinder and bleeding (purging air) below.
First “Rubber Ducking Racing”, click on Site Map in upper right corner then click on first listed "Clutch Slave Cylinder" (some reason there is 2).
Also below bleeding procedure and hose.

·
Registered
1994 3.5 sawp
76 Posts
Ya thats just master cylinder issue like white93gt said

But I would replace the "clutch slave" at the same time if it's original they like to go out after you get full peak pressure back

1 - 4 of 4 Posts