Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 VR-4, forest green OEM repaint 2015, beige interior. JDM engine swap at 290,000 miles --- engine, transmission, stock turbos have around 60K on them now. Light modifications including intake, mandrel-bent exhaust, sport intercoolers, Enki 18" rims. Yokohama Advan Apex tires, around 6K on them. CANNOT pass smog in California, P0400 and P0505 (EGR and Idle) codes, have to sell out of state. If your state is more lax about smog this is a great car that drives very well, I hate to sell it but I have to, registration expires end of April. Will take pictures after getting car detailed. The idle issue remains, it will idle around 1300-2000 rpm for several minutes after starting and then calm down to 1000 rpm after 20 minutes or so (probably vacuum hose leak somewhere). Otherwise, everything else drives great, it's a shame I have to sell it in this CA smog situation...

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
What the heck does "pass smog" even mean?
Yours.
Kansas 3S owners

Lolol!!!

Post some pics! Sounds like a nice ride!
Peace

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
14,910 Posts
290,000 miles?
Where are you located?

I love the underdog....

Bob.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Need pictures...color? How's the tranny and clutch?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here you go. It's also on E-Bay 1998 Mitsubishi 3000GT | eBay
I'm in San Diego. Below is an updated description that I copied from the E-Bay post:

Only two owners in 24 years, have all records since purchased from dealership at 59,200 miles, well maintained. JDM engine swap at 290,000 miles, so engine, turbos, transmission all around 60K miles on them right now. Cannot pass smog in California, P0505 Idle Control code, must sell out of state. The idle issue is probably a vacuum hose leak that I cannot find in my own garage. The car shops in CA are scared to work on older 90's OBDII vehicles because the Sacramento CARB office can fine them if they don't put everything back to stock, that's why the idle can't be fixed here --- it can be fixed out of state I'm sure. Idle will calm down to 1300 rpm after a few minutes and 1000 rpm after about 15-20 min. Otherwise drives fine, very good condition for its age, recently replaced radiator, water pump / timing belt, engine, turbos, transmission, tires (Yokohama Advan Apex). Repainted in 2015. Minor modifications including intake, mandrel-bent exhaust, intercoolers. Can boost up to 18.5 PSI (est. 388 peak horsepower at 6000 rpm) on stock turbos and fuel pump. 7000 rpm redline, 24 valve V-6 3.0L. Smooth AWD launch, geared high: 1st 40 / 2nd 75 / 3rd 110, 4th 145 / 5th & 6th 165 mph air drag limited. If your state is more lax for smog, this is a great car that will last another 20 years, I seriously hate to sell it but I have to.

Now, you may be wondering exactly how I came up with 388 hp peak, since this car has never been on a dyno, at least as long as I've owned it. Right now the hp peak is probably 350-360, it would need some tweaking of the boost controller and vacuum hoses to get closer to 390 like it was before. Long story long (not short): bought the car at 59,200 miles from the dealership used. "Thought" it was stock. I don't know exactly what they did to the car before I bought it, maybe they disconnected the wastegate or something because there was no aftermarket boost controller or anything else I could see. So when it boosted way over 14 psi, I thought that was an artifact. Until many, many years later when I got an aftermarket boost gauge. That went up to around 10-12 psi, I thought that was the correct psi. It was not! The stock gauge was accurate, the aftermarket one was not. How do I know that now, after the fact? Because if the boost controller was turned off, or if there was some vacuum issue or other boost issue, the stock gauge said 7 psi max, just like it should have (many other turbos have 7 psi max before the wastegates open, as you guys already know). The aftermarket gauge said 4 psi. So there was probably some leak in the aftermarket one or it was not hooked up at the right location for measuring boost. 7/4 = 1.75. 10 psi with the aftermarket gauge = 17.5 psi with the stock gauge, although it doesn't read past 14. The most it could go up on the aftermarket gauge was 12 psi, which translates to 21 psi on the stock gauge. Others on here and other webpages have mentioned that you can get around 20 psi on the stock turbos and fuel pump; this fact is controversial for some reason, but it should not be. I know the turbos and fuel pump are stock, I have the evidence above that with the right tweaking you can boost stock turbos/fuel pump up past 18 psi. Whether you add larger turbos, upgraded ECU, larger fuel pump, etc. later is up to you but this car as is can do close to 400 hp with the right boost control tweaking. At the crank of course, not at the wheels. Remember this a new JDM engine/turbos/transmission, at least relatively new, so the chassis has 290K, not the drivetrain. Message me if you are interested.

·
?Mark
16,728 Posts
is this the New Zealand Green? Or Panama green r u had it painted. isnt Forest green a Stealth color?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is this the New Zealand Green? Or Panama green r u had it painted. isnt Forest green a Stealth color?
Forest Green is what it came with, July 1997 painting in Japan, September 2015 repainting exact Forest Green OEM ordered by a local shop. But I mean...either you like the color or you don't, doesn't matter what the title of the color is. It could be called puke green but if you like it, buy it.

·
?Mark
16,728 Posts
ah repaint that explains it.

1998:
New Zealand Green Pearl - Base: 263 SL: 567 VR4:20
Caracas Red - base: 934 SL: 462 VR4: 70
Glacier White Pearl - base: 897 SL: 567 VR4: 70
Solano Black Pearl - base: 822 SL: 458 VR4: 71
Panama Green* - SL: 124

·
Spd Kills your bank acc.
1,151 Posts
Those new zealand green's are hard to find..

Was motor replaced with the stock 9bs? not sure what you mean by back up to 390hp when running stock at 12psi they make 320hp. And are you running the original suspension parts too or have they been changed?

And how quickly are looking to move this? I'm in vegas and tempted to make trip out but the $10k is a little high asking price with the interior and paint in the condition it is.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well gentlemen it's done, I sold it today. Guy from Nevada paid $10K Cashier's Check, flew down from Las Vegas the same day and drove off. I think he'll be able to fix the idle no problem in Nevada. Extremely irritating that California is so draconian about emissions now, to the point that even a smog shop is scared to work on a 90's car. Anyway, I really can't complain, because my wife very generously allowed $57K for me to buy a 2018 BMW M4 6-speed manual competition, image attached. The only two issues I have with the new car: no lumbar support, and auto rev matching is not easy to defeat.

Otherwise, it's a great car, blinding speed in M mode, so I can't bitch that I'm left without a decent car to drive! I guess I'll be signing off from here. I sincerely hope everyone can find parts for their 3000GT in the future.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts