Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations on good timing belt and tensioner replacement for this car.
Just bought and the tensioner is all messed up.
The mechanic seems to think there is supposed to be a spring on the tensioner but I am not seeing that in any of the pics for the tensioner. Looks like a simple bolt on.

Any help here with maybe a diagram of all the parts in this system.

I also need the timing covers for this. Any suggestions.

Thanks from a newbie.

·
Curmudgeon
5,526 Posts
As you can see in this picture from 3SX the SOHC does use a spring..
https://www.3sx.com/Images/oe/stock-kit-60k-sohc-05-300.jpg

Diagrams are in the manual, you can also download a copy from 3SX.
(vol.1 is mechanical, vol.2 is electrical)

Do not confuse the DOHC tensionor with the SOHC, they are completely different...

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,297 Posts
See below PDF staring on page 11E-48, timing belt tensioner installation starts on page 11E-51 and runs thru page 11E-52.

Only thing I noticed it didn’t mention loosening tensioner lock bolt before using screwdriver to move tensioner it direction of arrow.

Since last step (8) is tighten tensioner lock bolt to specified torque, it seems obvious the spring is only to set belt tension while turning the two turns to confirm marks still lined up and after lock bolt torqued it’s basically a solid tensioner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As you can see in this picture from 3SX the SOHC does use a spring..
https://www.3sx.com/Images/oe/stock-kit-60k-sohc-05-300.jpg

Diagrams are in the manual, you can also download a copy from 3SX.
(vol.1 is mechanical, vol.2 is electrical)

Do not confuse the DOHC tensionor with the SOHC, they are completely different...
I see the difference. Thanks for the help. The mechanic says the Water Pump looks new. What's my best quality tensioner and belt combo?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies and especially the manual. A great help!

Mechanic says the water pump looks new. Suggestions on best quality tensioner and belt combo

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just did the timing belt on my 91 Stealth which has the SOHC V6 engine. This tensioner is different than the DOHC engine which uses a hydraulic tensioner. The tensioner attaches on and uses a spring which connects to a little nipple with a groove on it that outjuts near the water pump. I can send pictures if that would help. Just ask.

I purchased a timing component kit from NAPA Auto. The kit came with the new timing belt, tensioner, and spring. The tensioner was the original Japanese KOYO tensioner I pulled off of the engine. I paid around $50-55 for the kit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey,
Thanks for the follow up. I went ahead and ordered OEM Mitsu parts but I think I over paid. Should have waited for your reply.

That's OK. Nothing wrong with OEM.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts