Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my car back from getting an alignment balancing and Road Force balancing...now when I get on the highway and go above 60 miles an hour and bounces all the way to from zero up to like 65 it's all over the place and I'm going to constant speed I have no idea what's going on I tried to upload a video but for some reason it will not upload any videos that are MP4...any help is much appreciated

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,221 Posts
It could just be a coincidence that something decided to fail, but it is also possible that something was touched during the work performed. In any event, the likely culprits are the VSS (speed sensor atop trans) or instrument cluster itself. On a '97 that I worked on recently, I went as far as visually inspecting the gear within, but a sensor swap seemed to have addressed the buggy signal.

STILL chasing my speedo problem. << this thread is full of helpful ideas and advice

Reactions: lawdogg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ty.. is this an expensive repair? it works fine up to 60mph..... wish i could post the video

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,221 Posts
Well, expensive is subjective lol. The sensor itself is over $100 new for a genuine, OEM part, however, you need to do more diagnostic work before throwing money at the problem. Yes, that symptom is indicative of a bad VSS from what I have seen, so you either take the gamble or verify 100% beforehand.

Cherry Hill Mitsubishi appears to have them in stock. PN is MB622090 - eBay listing <<

If you are mechanically inclined, then the replacement is fairly easy... just ignore the actual gear section outlined below:
Speedometer Gear Replacement on the Mitsubishi 3000GT/Dodge Stealth by Jeff Lucius <<

-Alan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ty yeah... not doing this myself lol.....why would be be fine up to 60mph then bounce all over the place at high speeds.....i have at 85mph speedo read 0 bounce wildy to 60

·
Curmudgeon
5,469 Posts
What year and model do you have? Some of the earlier non-turbos have an old school cable driven speedo instead of the electronic sensor. The easiest way to tell is to look at the sensor. If it has a wire and plug, like the one in the first picture in the above link, it is the electronic one. If it has a round mechanical cable, kind of like a heavy duty bike cable, it's, well, mechanical....

·
Curmudgeon
5,469 Posts
What year and model do you have? Some of the earlier non-turbos have an old school cable driven speedo instead of the electronic sensor. The easiest way to tell is to look at the sensor. If it has a wire and plug, like the one in the first picture in the above link, it is the electronic one. If it has a round mechanical cable, kind of like a heavy duty bike cable, it's, well, mechanical....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
95 Dodge TT

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it was fine until i got an alignment and roadforce balance then hit the highway and thing is bananas... buyt perfectly fine up to 50ish mph... also when the speedo is freaking out the odometer stops working

·
Registered
304 Posts
Does the speedo ever seem to "lag" behind your actual speed? As in if you got on it from a dead stop does the speedo keep up with your speed or does it show like 45mph when you are around 60mph and eventually catches ups? The odometer and speedometer are driven by the same thing.

Honestly an alignment shouldn't effect either the speed sensor int he transmission or the tach itself. If I had to guess one of the capacitors on your speedometer is going bad. The speedo on the TT versions is powered by two capacitors(with a resistor in there too) and if one is faulty it will cause the whole thing to go haywire. Try pulling your cluster and posting some pictures.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am not all that mechanically inclined lol plus it's gonna rain where I'm at for the next week plus no and I don't have arrives we're going to tarpot I wish I knew how to upload a video I have a video that I took its 12 seconds long it's mp 4 but it says that it can't be attached does anyone know how I can attach a video I took of my cellphone showing the condition

·
Registered
304 Posts
Did you just reply under a different user name? Pulling the cluster is like 6 screws and disconnecting a few plugs, it isn't hard. Unscrew the two screws holding in the black plastic trim around the cluster, they are on top so you'll have to look from below. Unplug the connectors for the switches attached to that surround, and then remove the four screws holding in the cluster, they will be obvious. The cluster then pulls straight out, it might be a little snug. Once out, remove the screws on back and the back plastic, and the front plastic by pulling the trip reset button out(pull straight out with some pliers, it will be in there super tight), remove the flexible green PCB thing, and post a screenshot of the capacitors and their contacts. It will look something like what I've attached. You can see that the right capacitor on mine had gone completely bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you just reply under a different user name? Pulling the cluster is like 6 screws and disconnecting a few plugs, it isn't hard. Unscrew the two screws holding in the black plastic trim around the cluster, they are on top so you'll have to look from below. Unplug the connectors for the switches attached to that surround, and then remove the four screws holding in the cluster, they will be obvious. The cluster then pulls straight out, it might be a little snug. Once out, remove the screws on back and the back plastic, and the front plastic by pulling the trip reset button out(pull straight out with some pliers, it will be in there super tight), remove the flexible green PCB thing, and post a screenshot of the capacitors and their contacts. It will look something like what I've attached. You can see that the right capacitor on mine had gone completely bad.
I don't think it have another account... i did it from my phone... this is from my laptop.... I am not going to be able to do that as I dont have a garage and we are expecting snow and rain all this week

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,013 Posts
I am not all that mechanically inclined lol plus it's gonna rain where I'm at for the next week plus no and I don't have arrives we're going to tarpot I wish I knew how to upload a video I have a video that I took its 12 seconds long it's mp 4 but it says that it can't be attached does anyone know how I can attach a video I took of my cellphone showing the condition
I don't think it have another account... i did it from my phone... this is from my laptop.... I am not going to be able to do that as I dont have a garage and we are expecting snow and rain all this week
This is strangest thing I’ve seen on this forum, how a phone could change user name that’s different than a laptop from same user :unsure:. If so this new forum software has major problems!o_O

Reactions: 3KGT7

·
Registered
304 Posts
One is "MrSig266" where you said the MP4 wouldn't attach. and the one you just replied under is "MrLWRC". Also you don't need a garage. You do all of the removal from the inside of the car and it takes less than 5 minutes, the you have the cluster out you can just take it inside to remove the rest to see the capacitors. Removing the cluster and leaving it out for a few days won't do anything.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is strangest thing I’ve seen on this forum, how a phone could change user name that’s different than a laptop from same user :unsure:. If so this new forum software has major problems!o_O
No I figured it out I had a really really old account from like 10 years ago that must have linked to my phone for some reason I fixed it thanks for telling me

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm having a similar issue and want to follow this thread in case something helpful appears. I'm getting 18 volts on pin three of the connector to the vehicle speed sensor when I should be getting about 5 volts. I think a resistor may have gone out somewhere. Looking at the manual, its not clear to me that it'd be resistor in the ECM. Help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my car back from getting an alignment balancing and Road Force balancing...now when I get on the highway and go above 60 miles an hour and bounces all the way to from zero up to like 65 it's all over the place and I'm going to constant speed I have no idea what's going on I tried to upload a video but for some reason it will not upload any videos that are MP4...any help is much appreciated
My 94 SL is doing the same thing. For now I have downloaded a speedometer app on my smartphone and use it it is save me tickets.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 94 SL is doing the same thing. For now I have downloaded a speedometer app on my smartphone and use it it is save me tickets.
One of the helpful guys on here pointed out that I was crazy for getting 18 volts on pin 3, so I retested and it's actually 8.9 volts (I'm a dummy and was testing for AC not DC).

Originally I was planning on just getting an AEM GPS speedometer, but I read in the manual on page 13A-119 that the ECU is using the speed signal to "perform idle speed control servo control." Sometimes my idle has been dropping low and now I think these two are related, so I think I actually need to fix this to solve both the problems.

I wish there was a 3000gt mechanic in Sacramento.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts