Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a intermittent check engine light. It will come on and seem to idle low and I can't find a obd reader to work. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,124 Posts
You can get flash codes at the CEL by grounding the pin in the DLC. The procedure is in the FSM.

The car is not OBDII, no OBDII reader is going to work. You need a scan tool or datalogger compatible with MUT2

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
3,245 Posts
^^^^^^ what he said ^^^^^

Below is link to thread explaining the process and a picture of pin that gets grounded for cel light to flash the codes when key turned ON. You can use any good ground point, don’t have to use #12 pin in data link connector as link describes.

·
Premium Member
1994 3000GT VR4
933 Posts
94-95 are odd years since they used an OBD2 connector but the data was not yet compatible.

BlackStealth makes an OBD2 converter and I also have a 94-95 datalogger listed in classifieds.

Jumping and reading the flashes will work fine, but if you convert later then you can use OBD2 readers, including BT dongles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm having a hard time figuring out the codes. It flashes twice really quick, then a pause then 2 flashes back to back then 1 then after a pause 6 flashes. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
3,245 Posts
I'm having a hard time figuring out the codes. It flashes twice really quick, then a pause then 2 flashes back to back then 1 then after a pause 6 flashes. Any help would be appreciated.
Your description is not good enough to make out code. The key is length of flashes, some are longer and some shorter. Also there could be more than one code and the codes will repeat as long as switch is on.

The longer flashes are first number x 10 and shorter flashes are second number. Example 5 long flashes = 50 followed by 2 short flashes = 2, for a code of 52. If you can make a video of flashes we can try to decipher the code/codes.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
3,245 Posts
Let me know if this link works otherwise I'll need to compress the video
Yes it works, you’ve got 2 codes 21 & 62.

21 = Coolant temp. sensor yes Harness & connector, Replace Coolant temp. sensor

62 = Induction control position sensor (DOHC, non turbo only) yes Harness & connector, Induction control valve

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
3,245 Posts
The coolant temp sensor, which would be one more likely to cause your problem. It’s the one for ECU not temp gauge on dash. It’s the middle one in the coolant manifold to right of cap, I believe it’s the only one with two wire connector which you might just first wiggle or unplug and re-plug to see if it helps.

Code 62 deals with the VIC (variable induction control), which is a plate inside the plenum to change the length of induction under some conditions. AFAIK the sensor is built into the VIC motor drive unit to determine position of plate

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
15,551 Posts
You have one of the best 3s diagnosticians around in @white93gt.
If @Steve '93ES jumps in, you have the Dynamic Duo!

Bob. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I pulled the electrical plugs on the temp sensor and the Vic motor and then plugged them back in and no change. I want to bring something up just to get some input. About a week ago he put 2 gallons of e85 in with a full fill up of 91 octane. Do you think this could have done anything to why we are getting codes? Car idles low. I can purchase a new temp sensor but not sure what we need for the vic issue.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
3,245 Posts
So I pulled the electrical plugs on the temp sensor and the Vic motor and then plugged them back in and no change. I want to bring something up just to get some input. About a week ago he put 2 gallons of e85 in with a full fill up of 91 octane. Do you think this could have done anything to why we are getting codes? Car idles low. I can purchase a new temp sensor but not sure what we need for the vic issue.
No I don’t think the e85 could cause the codes. Car idling low could be a few problems, one of which is IAC servo (which has a test procedure), ECU problems which are getting more common with bad capacitors like earlier years. But with temp sensor code, that would be first place to start as it can have a major impact on engine performance in many situations including no start. I won’t even worry about VIC code at this point, as worst a non-working VIC could do is cause minimal performance issues at low/middle or high rpm ranges.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts