Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 1993 3000gt sl automatic and i can get going down the road and it shifted went thru all the gears fine but I slowed down and it down shifted fine thru 3 and 2 but wouldn’t go back into first it seem like any ideas what it might be?

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,149 Posts
I just got my 1993 3000gt sl automatic and i can get going down the road and it shifted went thru all the gears fine but I slowed down and it down shifted fine thru 3 and 2 but wouldn’t go back into first it seem like any ideas what it might be?
Possibly capacitors going bad in TCU (transmission control unit), good chance it might soon go into limp mode (third gear only) when in drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it go back to first when you stop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Possibly capacitors going bad in TCU (transmission control unit), good chance it might soon go into limp mode (third gear only) when in drive.
last night when I drove it it started shifting by itself while shifting it manually in low gear and 2nd it was seeming to shift by itself also and still wasn’t downshifting all the way into 1st unless I manually shifted down but then like I said wouldn’t be 2 minutes an it would seem to be shifting itself

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,712 Posts
I would trust Don (White93) as he knows his ATX car as well as anyone on the boards.
Not sure how hard it is to remove the TCU (I'm sure Don can tell you), but it would be worth the effort to do.
If you do, please post pictures of the circuit board inside, focusing on electrolytic capacitors (if you don't know what they are, they're round cylindrical looking things, from 1/4" to 1/2" in diameter that stand up off the board and are about a 1/2" to 3/4" tall).

Good Luck!

Bob.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,149 Posts
If you decide to visually check TCU as OhioSpyderman (Bob) suggest, the below link will guide you in removal. One thing I’ve found it’s better to remove it towards passenger side as gas pedal assembly is in way on driver’s side. Since mounting bracket has to come out with it, take it slow to work around wires and shift cable that it tends to get caught on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts