Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can i please get help.. I need someone who knows how to check the vin# for a 1993 vr4 so I can figure out if i have a Jan through May car, or a june through December car. if someone can help please let me know. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1994 3000GT VR4
933 Posts
I’ve looked before. I didn’t see anything about months/years.. I did however notice that the driver side door has a different vin# on it than what the actual car’s vin# is.
There should be a label on the frame below where the driver door latches with the month and year. That may be what you saw, but it's weird if that one mismatches, if it's there. At least, that's the location on my 94. 1G 93 may have been on the door for all I know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m guessing the riveted one is my actual vin #? The sticker on the door doesn’t match the riveted one..I’m hoping that the most logical explanation is that the original door was damaged and needed replaced but we may never know.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
3,245 Posts
The car is in the shop so I can’t look at the door frame yet. I can’t believe it’s not actually a 93. I guess this explains why I have a 92 manual in my glove box lol
Your making too many assumptions, no ‘92’s were built in Oct 92. Every car built after Jun 92 where the ’93 model year cars that arrived in show rooms by Sept 92 during that time period. So if yours was built Oct 92 it is a 93 model year car.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
3,245 Posts
If yours is a ’93 it will have the two plugs pictured below mounted to timing belt cover.
click on image to enlarge

If it’s a ’92 it will have CAS unit mounted between throttle body and coolant cap as shellhouse indicated. See CAS circled in yellow in picture below.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
3,245 Posts
Do those two plugs on the timing cover signify a 93 in your opinion then?
Yes, that's why I posted the pictures in my #17 post. All '93 and up had those two plugs for the crank and cam sensors on timing belt cover, and didn't have the CAS unit I circled with yellow in second picture on opposite end of engine (passenger side). While 91-92 used the CAS unit on passenger end of engine and didn't have the two plugs on the timing belt cover, as the crank and cam sensor was housed together in the CAS unit.

The only other exceptions was SOHC engines that had the two sensors in the distributor until '97 and then moved crank sensor to same location of '93 + year DOHC engines, so the 97-99 SOHC engines still had the distributor and one plug on timing belt cover for crank sensor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts