1993 3000GT SL
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s a video of the noise in the car
3000 GT Ticking
Loud deep ticking noise coming from engine
still have oil pressure.
Timing is on point.
Changed oil and there’s no metal shavings.
spark plugs are in good shape
Maybe the lifters I have no clue what eles it could be!?
Before I bought it it was sitting for 6 to 8 months, I drove it with nothing wrong, everything running smooth for the next 4 weeks. Then the loud ticking noise started.
1993 3000GT SL
Engine has 68,000 miles
Let me know what you think!!

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
3,245 Posts
What’s that controlling
That's called variable induction control (VIC) unit. There's a plate across inside of plenum that rotates ~ 90 degrees to change path of air flow back and forth between short and long flow length. It's only on NA engines to slightly enhance engine performance at low/mid range RPM's by changing the induction length to a longer path, or slightly enhance the engine performance at high RPM's range by changing the induction length to a shorter path.

There's a gear and spring in the circled area attached to that plate that is driven by a gear from motor attached to that area, which rotates the plate to one position and when needed motor then drives plate into other position.

If by chance the noise is coming from that exact area, it could be spring has broken or gear stripped (not uncommon), allowing that plate to be vibrated causing that noise.

·
Registered
1993 3000GT SL
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You might want to try a mechanics stethoscope or even a wooden dowel to find out where the noise is coming from.
I had two of my mechanically experienced friends come and check it and they both said it’s coming from the top left side of the engine.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Looks like you are referring the front bank of cylinders coming from under the valve cover ? You might remove the valve cover and check for a loose/worn rockers or lifter. I think some members had similar problems, but I can't remember the details.

I have I listened to the video and it does not sound like lifter tick to me. I get lifter tick after an oil change and if the car sits for a period of time usually goes away after a short drive or the Mitsu air purge procedure . FWIW Mitsu has stated in the manual lifter noise is a temporary problem from air in the lifters . BUT , some members have continual lifter tick due to other issues.

Another thing to think about is having the car sit for a long period. 6 to 8 months is getting close to being pretty long. During this time the oil drains out from most areas of the engine and rust starts. Piston rings and cylinder walls are critical, but could affect other components too. Wear may show up later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts