Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a 1992 VR4 for sale down the street. 113,000miles Florida car. What do I look for when buying a higher mileage VR4 or dodge stealth? Will they perform simillarly to a lower mile (say 60k) car? I've never owned a TT stealth or VR4 before, but I have owned other turbo cars. What spacific mechanical problems are related to a higher mileage dodge stealth? I would really like to know what to look out for.

On my list is to check for oil blowby with the turbos.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Sadly I would keep looking. I haven't heard of anyone having anything good say after buying a car with such high mileage.

Be careful and definitely do your homework!! Be paitent if this isnt the car another will come along :D

Good luck - Jon

·
2,616 Posts
Ask the owner if its the original engine. If it is, listen for a tapping sound.. '-91-'92 VR4s have a problem with spinning a bearing,
so if i were you, look for '93 or newer to safe yourself some eventual pain.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I would also say be patient and wait for a car with lower mileage. It will cost you more initially(purchase price) but less ultimately(in the long run ie repairs and all). i bought my 92 with 74, 000 and it is in great shape.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I had my eye on a 92 RT TT with 30k miles, someone bought it before I could get out to take a look at it! Thanks for all the opinions. If anyone has a ref to any of the threads regarding what to look for on a higher mileage car, please let me know.

bryan

·
I am the 1.85% =
2,362 Posts
I think you guys are not giving this car a chance. These can be very reliable long lasting cars if properly maintained. Find out how the owner took care of car. Maintainence records? Tune ups done on schedule? These trannys and TC's die when they are beat to shit by most of the teenager drivers out there. But I see no reason to pass up a car based soley on miles. I drove 850 miles to buy a 1991 RT Turbo with 100,001 on the odometer. It was well taken care of, runs excellent and has only had slight problems and normal maintainence items needed.

Also run a carfax just for shits and giggles.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
yeah- you guys are a bit of jumping the gun on this-

I bought Chelle's 91 car with 125,000 miles on the ticker- one owner- traveling salesman.

It would blow the doors off my Stealth at 74,000 miles! I've ran a few cars in it with just a stillen DP and a UPCAW- a red Z06, 01 Cobra, modded LT1 T/A's, stroked 400 in a Camino, 03 Lightning, 02 C5...

Seriously, a properly taken care of higher mileage car is nothing to sneer at.

Jayson bought his car at 160,000 miles! And that VR4 was running every bit as good!

It's the care- not the mileage. Chelle's car has no smoke ever- has a case of lifter tick, but the Krankvent has nearly eliminated it.

I bought the 92 Stealth at 74,000 miles- a week later the tranny went, then the struts started leaking... the car was in good shape - just hadn't been maintained at all! I took care of it, and ran it to 125,000 miles where it was pulling on the top end on 115+ trapping cars on the original turbos!

High mileage isn't a concern- the care of the car is. Even then- don't let the issues get overwhelming. Tick sucks. The spun bearings are easy to guess- start the car- how quick does oil pressure hit? Where does it level off at cold idle? How high does it rise when you drive it- if it doesn't hit 3 ticks at hot idle- forget it. If cold idle is below the first large hash- becareful - could be old oil, or wrong weight. If cold idle is large hash, driving is 2 above large hash or higher- you have NOTHING to worry about.

Spun bearings are from bad flow - oil pump getting flaky. There are more causes- true... however if the pump is in good shape - it will show, and that is the only true concern on the 1st gen's to me.

Everything else is easy to deal with.

·
hellbent in a dodge Viper
8,699 Posts
Yeah I would be very careful about oil pressure, if it looked perfect then I would feel better(hard to tell over the life how it was treated).

I think that 120k is entering the "danger" zone on the 91-92 cars.

Check to see its manufacture date.

I was shocked to see mine had a 4 bolt main. And the 92 vr4 I got(with such spun bearing), carfax said it was sold very early 92, yet somehow I have a 4 bolt main(which im not supposed to have). Maybe the engine was replaced?

·
Peace Love Unity Respect
491 Posts
I also think you should give this car a chance.

I have just recently (2 months ago) bought Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 with 123.500 miles. I have been looking for a 3/S in a great condition for around 7 months. Also I was looking for one with low mileage in the range of 60.000-80.000 miles and definitely not more.

After 7 months of intensive searching for one in a good shape I finally got a call from a guy who said he has a 3000GT VR-4 with 123.000 miles but is really in a great shape. I kind of missed 3000GTs because I haven`t seen them for quite a while so I told him to drop by.

When he came I was really impressed. It was the first 3/S that had actually still original color on it which proves it has not been in any big accident. The engine has been rebuilt 15.000 miles ago. Everything except Active Exhaust and Active Aero which are easy to fix works.

And at that point I really started to show some interest in the car. Then I had it expected by Mitsubishi`s mechanic (they are really great - they have never charged me) who told me the car is in extremly good condition. They were quite amazed and even I did not believe it actually has so many miles. I would say the car has 60.000 miles at the most.

So I ended up buying it and even though I was looking in a totally different range this car was in such a pristine condition that I just had to buy it. For the same price I could get a lower mileage Stealth RT/TT which will probably spin a bearing very soon and apart from that it has been involved in a preety big accident. Also the interior on the Stealth is not in such a good condition.

This was the highest mileage car I checked out and the nicest among them all.

Give this car a chance is my advice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oil pressure

i'll definately check for oil pressure. since i havent seen this car yet, i dont know its condition. the guy is asking $6,000 if that says anything about its condition, he mentioned it needs a new clutch (says to me there might be a trans problem) I've herd the tran's in theses cars dont last more then 100k.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I don't know man. Sounds like you could do better. Check it out, though. Tick is something that you can keep at bay. Do a search to find out how.:bandit:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts