Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 Stealth Twin Turbo. I bought the car in July, and have had numerous problems with it. I have to admit that I have had my doubts about the car, but I would like to renew my faith in it because I know the potential that it carries. I a few questions that I need answered if anyone could help.

First off, I know that the stock exhaust manifolds leave a lot to be desired and can be problematic. Most enthusiasts know this, but I can't find any aftermarket manifolds for it. Could someone please point me in the right direction. Also, Dynamic Racing has a header set for turbo apps. I was wondering which is better: manifolds or headers). I used to believe that headers would not work with turbos, so what's the deal.

Another problem (and the biggest to date) is my tranny. I cannot put my car in first gear. It happened once before for about 1000 miles, but then it "fixed itself." Now it has gone out again. I'm not sure what this problem is, but it needs to be fixed. I live in Cincinnati. If anyone knows any tuners in the area that could diagnose/fix the problem, I would greatly apprectiate it.

If I can't fix these problems, or if I have more, I will be forced to sell the car and go with a 1995 Mustang Cobra. I know how most of you feel about that, so please help. Thanks.

·
I'm Back
1,839 Posts
manifolds

headers = manifolds

they are the same thing.

dynamic racing, gtpro, greddy, altered atmosphere, and DN performance all offer new manifolds. all of them are expensive and arent the first things you should do in terms of power upgrades.

as for the tranny, definitely fix that first. how many miles are on your car? will it go into any other gear? usually on our cars the synchros go...thats the most frequent problem ive heard.

chris

·
i don't even know...
2,245 Posts
Re: manifolds

93V said:
dynamic racing, gtpro, greddy, altered atmosphere, and DN performance all offer new manifolds. all of them are expensive and arent the first things you should do in terms of power upgrades.

agreed... don't try to start with one of the most expensive things on our list of upgrade possibilites :) get your BPU's covered, then worry about how you want to throw around the multiple $k's

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I realize that the transmission is the most important thing, and yes it will go into every gear BUT first. As for the manifolds, I have a manifold leak, and I'm not sure if it's just the gasket or what. That is why I'm worried about the manifold. But I do know that a leak from the manifold means less power.

·
Banned
3,562 Posts
Just buy a set of used headers from someone on the board. I did a few months ago for $80 bucks so I could port them. I'd sell ya my old ones but I gave those to a friend so he could port them and stick em on. As for the tranny not going into first... I don't know much about the inner workings of our tranny or what the technical name for certain parts are. However, a friend of mine has a 300ZX with about 600 horses, his tranny also would not let him go into first gear... every other gear was fine. He took the tranny apart and found a small metal dowel pin (best way I can describe it) that had slipped out of position, and was blocking the shift fork from going into gear. It could be something as simple as that. Good luck... and as for mods, buy a boost controller, downpipe, intake and exhaust first and you'll have a new appreciation for the car. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In that case, if there's anyone who has a used set of manifolds/headers to sell, e-mail me. As for the mods, I have a boost controller (although, I think it needs reprogrammed) and a K&N Filtercharger. I did have an ATR Dual system, but the muffler pretty much blew up. There was a big whole in it. I had a shop weld it, but it didn't hold. Due to strict emissions laws, I had to replace it with a single Apex exhaust, which I hate, but the cash is short right now.

About the downpipes, is Stillen the only setup that eliminates the precats, or does the ATR also?

One last set of questions for this post: I've read about a lot of people replacing the factory twin turbos with a single T88 turbo, pushing 22psi. Is that a good mod (later)? Also, this may be a dumb question, but can you run twin turbos into one, large intercooler?

Thanks.

·
I'm Back
1,839 Posts
mods

most people have more success with two turbos on our cars...they run simultaneously, so the more precise you can be (one turbo per 3 cylinders) the better. i wasnt aware that the stillen downpipe eliminated precats, i have the ATR and mine definitely doesnt. I saw one a couple days ago that does...i think on gtpro's site.

keep asking if you have more questions

chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts