Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. Just wanting to get some opinions from experts on here about what I should do. I have had this car sitting in the same place (outside) for about 20 years. When it was parked there it had a blown engine. To the best of my memory, all else on the car was in good shape electrically & mechanically when it was parked. I recently got the inspiration to do something with it, but just unsure what. I went and looked the car over today for the first time in years, it still has a lot of good parts but I feel like it would take a mountain of work and money to get it back in respectable shape again.

My options at this point are: attempt to start fixing it, starting with replacing the engine; part it out; sell it to someone else for a project; scrap it.

The car has about 141,xxx miles on it. I am in Southern Indiana near the Evansville area.

Would anyone be willing to share some input, tips, come look at it, etc.?

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
Mitsubishi's
106 Posts
20 years sitting? Yes, that would make for a decent project. If the motor is blown then it will need to obviously be fixed or replaced. Parts are out there and there is plenty of support here. Up to you to gauge weather or not its a worthwhile project to tackle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys thanks for chiming in. I have created a gallery and uploaded several pics I took of it today. Not sure how this gallery thing works, let me know if you can see it or not and if not what I need to do to make it public. I agree I don't want to scrap it, I might be up for just getting it running decent again and working on making it look nice a little at a time. Bottom line is I'd love to drive this car again but I don't want to dump a lot of money into it all at once to completely restore it. I'm thinking it may make the most sense to sell it for a project car or part it out.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I just looked at all your pics. I'm in basically the exact same situation except mine isn't in quite of rough shape as yours. I'm set on restoring my car and I think yours is still worth restoring too. All it takes is time and money lol. I'll be following this thread and will make my own restoration thread once I finally get started. Good luck!

·
Keep'n 'em spooled
2,541 Posts
I could see some surface rust in your pics. What does the underside look like? Did you drive it in the snow (salted roads) in Indiana? If you did not, that would be a big plus for the value and whether it's worth restoring. Since it's been sitting outside another concern would be whether any critters have chewed on the wiring harnesses anywhere.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The determining factor for me in bringing a car back is the amount of rust. Both rust on the underbody and the bolts. Pictures of the underbody and suspension would help us give you more info on whether you have a parts car or something to build. Most cars that sit in the grass for more than a couple years are a rusty mess underneath, unless they have a healthy layer of oil/grime. I just went to LKQ in Toledo and that car, although not a VR4, was in much better shape than yours except the underbody was gone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
No matter what you do, if any car has been sitting for 10 years or so, 2 or 3 things have happened, other than the obvious items:
1) Your water pump diaphragm has dried out and almost certainly will start to leak soon after you start running the engine again.
2 and 3) Your fuel sending unit has almost assuredly corroded over and you may have a rusty gas tank. The good news is there are coatings that can be poured into a loose tank that makes it very durable and near rustproof.
It's best to check these out before you run crud through your fuel system.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ah ha.. I'm not the only one. Mine was last licensed in 2007. But kept in the garage. I purchased a gasket kit and started replacing everything I can get to.
Drive fast, take chances.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I could see some surface rust in your pics. What does the underside look like? Did you drive it in the snow (salted roads) in Indiana? If you did not, that would be a big plus for the value and whether it's worth restoring. Since it's been sitting outside another concern would be whether any critters have chewed on the wiring harnesses anywhere.
I really haven't got much of a look underneath yet. I definitely had the car in the snow once or twice but not very much. Hell I didn't have the thing on the road for very long back in the day so it didn't see much snow. I can't speak for its' previous life before I purchased it though. I haven't seen any wire chews yet though I have found evidence of a mouse or two making a nest in the spare tire area. I will have to try to get it jacked up and see the underside, good point I agree with you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The determining factor for me in bringing a car back is the amount of rust. Both rust on the underbody and the bolts. Pictures of the underbody and suspension would help us give you more info on whether you have a parts car or something to build. Most cars that sit in the grass for more than a couple years are a rusty mess underneath, unless they have a healthy layer of oil/grime. I just went to LKQ in Toledo and that car, although not a VR4, was in much better shape than yours except the underbody was gone.
Wow I certainly wouldn't have expected it to be so rusty when a lot of it looked pretty decent! I'll have to try and get underneath and see what I can find. I will share more pics once I get a chance to see the under side.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Wow I certainly wouldn't have expected it to be so rusty when a lot of it looked pretty decent! I'll have to try and get underneath and see what I can find. I will share more pics once I get a chance to see the under side.
She must have been a northern car, because the interior/plastics and leather seats were in great shape, but that underbody...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts