Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! So I've been trying to figure out what the hell is up with my Stealth. I've attached some videos and am wondering what the ticking noise is, what that squeaky noise is, and why the car can't stay on for more than 5 minutes.

Video Link

Some more info:
-New radiator
-Timing belt was adjusted a few months ago
-Fuel pump relay on passenger side door is working fine.
-Oil change was done about a week ago.

Issues:
-Gas gauge reads empty even though the tank is full.
-Car idles roughly, weird thump noise coming through the exhaust. (Video attached)
-Squeaky noise coming from the timing belt/water pump area. (Video attached)
-Weird ticking noise coming from somewhere around the manifold. (Video attached)
-Cars lock all doors button does not work.

·
Registered
503 Posts
How exactly was the timing belt "adjusted"? Sound doesn't always translate well through a microphone but it sounds like you have a serious misfire, or a cylinder isn't firing at all. Pull the spark plug wires at the coil packs one by one and see if there is noticeable change in how the engine runs. If you pull one and nothing happens, that's the cylinder you are misfiring on. The squeak from the timing are could be multiple things, but is most likely the AC/Alternator belt. These cars only seem to like OEM AC/Alternator belts with every other brand squeak pretty bad. The crazy clicking noise could possibly be the IAC/ISC stepper motor taking a shit on you, which could also be the cause of your terrible idle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How exactly was the timing belt "adjusted"? Sound doesn't always translate well through a microphone but it sounds like you have a serious misfire, or a cylinder isn't firing at all. Pull the spark plug wires at the coil packs one by one and see if there is noticeable change in how the engine runs. If you pull one and nothing happens, that's the cylinder you are misfiring on. The squeak from the timing are could be multiple things, but is most likely the AC/Alternator belt. These cars only seem to like OEM AC/Alternator belts with every other brand squeak pretty bad. The crazy clicking noise could possibly be the IAC/ISC stepper motor taking a shit on you, which could also be the cause of your terrible idle.
Well it got out of place, and I had to pay to get it timed right. Also, I will probably give that a shot, others were thinking it could be a cylinder misfire as well. Quick question though, where's the coil packs? Not a huge car dude.

EDIT: I'm assuming that the ignition coil is where all the spark plug wires are connected into in a neat row. If that is, I think you may be right. I disconnected the first one, really rough. Did the next and lo and behold, the car ran normal. I was going to try the rest but it began to rain out really fast out there. Will try again for the rest tomorrow.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yea, that's the coil packs. Also what does "it got out of place" mean? As in the timing jumped? If so you need to go back and ask how much it jumped timing wise, because these are interference engines meaning the pistons and valve share the same space. So basically if the timing is off enough the pistons hit the valves and the heads need to be rebuilt for the engine to ever run correctly again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, that's the coil packs. Also what does "it got out of place" mean? As in the timing jumped? If so you need to go back and ask how much it jumped timing wise, because these are interference engines meaning the pistons and valve share the same space. So basically if the timing is off enough the pistons hit the valves and the heads need to be rebuilt for the engine to ever run correctly again.
Well, it was more like I screwed with the gear and turned it like an idiot trying to get the belt off, sent it to a shop and they got the timing done correctly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts