Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
always under construction
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put factory fog lights on my car. My friend checked them out and said that they are similiar bulbs to the toyota supra bulbs. I have a '91 with the H3 bulbs. He works for toyota and worked on a kids car that had really bright factory fog lights. The kid told him that he replaced the factory bulbs with some 180 candle watt bulbs. My friend told me that his headlights looked like a lit match next to his fog lights. Does anyone know where I might be able to get bulbs like this or something similar??

I looked at:
http://catalog.com/susq/hella/bulbs.htm

for replacement bulbs. They have 100W bulbs. Whats the difference between 12V and 24V for the bulbs?

I hope someone can help me.... Sorry for the long post.
Thanks

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Don't worry about the voltage rating. I use 100w bulbs in my fogs but they don't have the lifespan the 55w ones do because of the extra heat.

I have Astra Superwhite bulbs from http://www.autooptiks.com

·
Registered
126 Posts
Your car is a 12V system.

If you put a 24V bulb on a 12V system it won't be as bright as it was intended to be.

If you put a 12V bulb on a 24V system you'll probably burn it out in no time.

I'm still wondering what a candle watt is though. *L* A watt is a unit of power (1 Joule per second), and I've seen candle power quoted too, but I've never seen "candle watts" quoted before.

·
always under construction
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doire

The only thing that i have seen that have a candlewatt rating are the spotlights used for fishing or hunting. You just plug them in a cigarette lighter. The are rated at about a million candle watts i think....

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
That would be candle<b>power</b>.

·
High Boozemaster
1,600 Posts
yeah, candle power, not candle watts.

i found a place that sells 2,000,000 candle power bulbs that are replacements for spotlights, @ $20 a peice. i am thinking about rigging them up somehow on the back of the car, and turn 'em on when you are being tailgated, or if someone has thier brights on behind you. maybe in the area where the reverse lights are, but keep the stock reverse lights in there too, just mount them in the same area if there is room. the only thing is the heat of those bulbs, i wouldn't want it to melt the plastic in there...

i think i am just crazy tho but it would be cool

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would stick to 55Watt max, Like John M says the 100Watt are nice and bright but last only a couple of months before burning out. they are a bitch to change so I don't think it worth the work.

So far my 55Watt as lasted twice the lenght of the 100Watt I will see how long it will do...

·
Registered
126 Posts
mitsu3kgt311,

Although that sounds cool I think you might get yourself in a lot of trouble with the law if you actually used it like that.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Those 2 million candlepower spotlight bulbs get HOT. If someone aimed the beam at you from 50ft away you'd feel the heat, like being in the direct sun. If it's not in a standard spotlight housing it'll melt anything near it.

And yes, I have used a spotlight that plugged into the cig lighter to make my point when somebody highbeamed me :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Does anyone know where to buy some purple H3 bulbs? I want them to look as purple (not the light purple) as possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts