Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it feasable to run in the mid 11's with 15G turbos?

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sweet! thank Roger, 15g's here i come!!

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
NO, not mid 11's ! LOW 11's are possible. But of course you need other mods too as the package counts.

R

·
0 Posts
Roger, How far will the 13G turbo's take you? What is the limit of the stockers? high 12's? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
As said : the package plays the music !
I can't remember if any 9b (stock) equiped run lower times than 12.65.
Also I doubt that 13G cars break into the 11s !

To go into such low times, it is necessary to have the correct amount of fuel (racing), a good fuel management, changed timing, better intercooling, no cats at all, total free flow exhaust, forged pistons and rods (maybe) and loose some weight. Have you already saved the money ?

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no not yet, i just wanted to get an idea of which turbos i will need to get into the mid 11's. so you think i will need upgraded interal parts? right now my car is totaly dead. i planned on getting it running perfect again with a new stock engine and then building from there. i would like to have brian, dan, etc.... rebuild it with HP internals but it is not feasable for me to get my car to them amd i do not trust anyone around here. any ideas??? thanks

·
Registered
431 Posts
My car ran 11.82 @ 115 MPH with 13G turbos. It also ran a best of 119.71 in the 1/4 with those turbos and an HKS dual tip exhaust.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Great times. Is this real track or G-Tech pro !

BTW, where went the listing of the fastest Stealth/3000GT to ??

·
Registered
431 Posts
It's me, Bob. It was at a real track. I never quote G-Tech times.

J

·
0 Posts
Matt92VR4,

Don't waste your time on the 15G's when you can get the 17G's. I have a lot more power at 14psi with the 17G's than I did at 18psi with the 15G's. Full boost is at 3500rpm. Currently I am awaiting a custom ignition coil pack upgrade because at over 14psi the stock ignition system is overtaxed and slight missing will start to occur in the mid-to-upper rpm ranges. I still have the other set of new 17G turbos that were originally supposed to go on my Stealth which I am now selling for $2200 shipped to your door. I think you have already bought intrax springs from me before.

Jeff
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
What about driveability of the 17G ? I have a noticeable lag with the 13g compared to the 9b although power is more "explosive" but how is this with the 17G ? Of course, you have more power with the bigger turbo at the same boost as you move more air in overall. I have the 368s at home that are sized close to 20G (according to Brian). They will make a helluva boost but maybe driveabilty will become heavily degraded as well
Also the intercoolers and pipe should be upgraded after the 15Gs due to the amount of air the 17Gs are capable !

Coilpack ??? Damn, I'm working for a long time on such stuff as the ignition is a weaker part in the formula but I haven't come to a conclusion yet ! Please send me more details about what and how and I can give you my experience so far with the ignition testings ([email protected])

J

·
0 Posts
Thanks for your reply Roger. Fortunately, I am one of the few people who has had the 9B's, 13G's, 15G's and now the 17G's, so I can comment on all of them. The 17G's have a lot more lag than the 13G's, but not much more than the 15G's. The lag is more noticable in the upper gears(4th-6th) than the lower gears(1st-3rd). As I said in the previous post, full boost is around 3500rpm. However, I would say further that even with the 10' clip on the turbine wheel, once I had the 17G's ported I got better response than the unclipped and unported 15G's that I had before, which reached full boost at about 3200rpm. From full boost until redline the 17G turbos pull with much more authority at the 14psi that I am currently limited to than the 15G's did at 18psi. Since I was also able to run 18psi with the 15G's without any missing, but I have it at anything greater than 14psi with the 17G's should speak volumes for the difference in airflow between the two turbo. Too my knowledge, the 17G's are utilizing the same TD04L compressor housing as the 15G's, but has been machined out even further to accomodate the larger compressor wheel. In this case, the 368's you are referring to could presumably flow more because of the larger physical size, but I think lag would be quite excessive for the street due to the implied size difference. With the 368's, you have a larger compressor and exhaust housing, a larger turbine wheel and a larger compressor which all would greatly contribute to lag. I only run on the street so lag is a major issue for me as well. As far as the ignition system goes, I will send you more information when I have it. I am working with Sean Glazar of Extreme MotorSports on a developing a solution to the ignition problem, and most of the details should be worked out by the end of this week.

Also if you are curious, go to this link, http://www.extrememotorsports.com/about.htm,
and scroll down. You can see my Green VR4 as it sat on the lift for almost 9 months during the last long and dreadful motor rebuild(crankshaft bearing was the culprit), an experience I am sure that we share in common.

Jeff
[email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts