Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thats right, on my way home from school today, I was playing with a late '80's corvette. The guy was cool, and we played follow the leader at ~130 mph for a while. Once the roads got really open, we both got on it, I don't know if he stayed back to watch or what but at 140 he was very small, I kept going, and made 150!!!
That is the fastest I have gone in this car, ever. All I have in my car is a '96 engine and tranny. No mods yet; college.:(

·
Registered
856 Posts
Unfortunatly you weren't actually going 150 =(

Our speedos are real inaccurate at those speeds. Do you remember what RPM you were at in 5th? I'm sure someone can calculate actual speed for you. I've heard our cars (dohc n/a's) top out at 145mph

.jon

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
5th gear? Our cars top out in 4th. I had mine up to a proven 148mph. I saw one of those "this is your speed" signs so I turned around and made a run at it from about a mile back.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am in my second semester at tech, its not bad, unless you have to deal with anything administrative.
I am not sure what my rpms were, but I was in 5th gear, the car had more to go, how much? I don't know, but it definitely was not the car's desicion to stop trying to fly.

·
No surrender!
2,270 Posts
WICKEDDREW said:
5th gear? Our cars top out in 4th. I had mine up to a proven 148mph. I saw one of those "this is your speed" signs so I turned around and made a run at it from about a mile back.
I can only get those things here to say 99. Thats just because all the ones i see only have 2 digits.
I did it on a highway, one time & then i hit a red light, a mini van pulled up beside me. It was full of teenagers all giving me the thumbs up:D. That was in the VR-4.

I've had my Stealth reading 160 going down hill, 145 is the most ive had on flat land

·
Registered
159 Posts
This is probably a really stupid question, but why do your cars max out in 4th gear? Is it like that in all 5spds?

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
If you have driven an n/a up around top speed. You will prolly notice that while in fourth gear the rpms don't rise quickly at all. Therefore by the time the rpms get to around 6000 or so you should be at top speed. There really isn't any reason for 5th gear, except for saving gas reasons.

·
aint scared of no snake
259 Posts
automatic N/A?

have any of you automatic r/t's, sl's people gone over 130? I had mine pull real good up to 125 in 3rd, then when i hit over drive on it just kind of started to barley inch its way up, but i had to stop due to trafic.
i dont think i ever got it past 130 (no room though) but iam just wondering what speeds you guys have reached in your autos.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: automatic N/A?

Dave94RT said:
have any of you automatic r/t's, sl's people gone over 130? I had mine pull real good up to 125 in 3rd, then when i hit over drive on it just kind of started to barley inch its way up, but i had to stop due to trafic.
i dont think i ever got it past 130 (no room though) but iam just wondering what speeds you guys have reached in your autos.

I had try but only reach up to 120 and i had to slowdown due to traffic.

Would love to try again.

^__^

·
Registered
265 Posts
i have gotten mine up to around 132mph while racing a gst automatic. we stopped and talked afterwards and it was the best race i have ever had. he told me he was shifting with the 1, 2, (manually) i had mine on power with overdrive off. off of the line i jumped about a half of a car length and i would pull on him in every gear after about 4k or so. top end though we were dead even.

·
aint scared of no snake
259 Posts
hey wickeddrew, what speed was your dash showing when the rader machine posted 148mph? just trying to see how accurate our cars are. thanks

·
HIGHRISK
501 Posts
I've had my speedo reading about 155 before. It was odd because I redlined 4th and switched to 5th and kept accelerating. Maybe its the new gearing?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Well a friend of mine was only able to hit 120 mph in 4th gear in his auto 95 Base 3000GT.....that was right after the car flipped over and he crashed. Thanx god he wasnt injured.

I thought it was rather odd that he could could only get it to 120..no more.;)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I had my speedo at 143 in my RT (automatic) when I was 15 before I actually had my license. :D
Mark

·
Registered
53 Posts
150 in an N/A?

My GF claims she took mine all the way up to 140 down GA 400! But our speedos are pretty inaccurate from a little under 100 mph on up, mine even more so 'cuz I run smaller diameter drive tires!

BTW, Jackets suck! Go Dawgs! Jus' kiddin'! When do you grad? I just graduated from UGA and the the job market looks AWFUL! I wanted to get a VR4 engine swap and 19s when I left UGA, but I guess all that's gonna have to come a little later! Hee-hee!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.