Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going over this new to me car and want to swap all the fluids out. It runs good with 150k miles on the original engine. Would redline 10w40 be a better choice over the 10w30 on something with this kind of mileage? I just figure bearing clearances maybe gained a 0.0001 or 2 with mileage and with older valve stem seals etc maybe it wouldn’t hurt? I would just like an overkill oil to keep from spinning a bearing.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,229 Posts
I use 10W40 High Mileage Mobile One in both my cars, and always have.
When I change my oil, I pre-charge my filter with Rislone.
200K on my Stealth TT
110K on the Spyder VR4

Both quiet and happy.

Just my .02

Bob.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bob, do you ever need to add between oil changes? Good hot idle pressure according to the stock gauge for what that’s worth?

·
13,229 Posts
Never.
I have an aftermarket gauge in the Stealth, stock in the Spyder, but I have put a external gauge on it a good while ago, and it showed good hot idle pressure.

You'll get lots of varying opinion on what oil to use, but what I stated works for me...

Personally, I think thinner oils don't belong in turbo cars, they break down too fast from the heat...

Feel free to ask around and try what you want :)

Bob.

·
13,229 Posts
Double post...damned forum...

·
13,229 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,884 Posts
10w30 is too thin for a turbo car if you work it hard... Granted, I work mine harder than most, but I run 15w50 in mine. Plenty of higher power guys running high quality 20w50. 10w40 should work just fine for you.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,099 Posts
+1 with Bob and Larry above :)

·
Registered
746 Posts
But how's 15w50 do in freezing temps?

According to google... -40.

I have an oil change I need to do next week. Would you guys recommend 15w50 then? With rislone? I have lifter tick but it goes away when hot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not to confuse or introduce more things here but I've been running Rotella T6 5-40 for years on my 3000gt vr4, 300zx and my old legacy GT. I like it but I'm sure there are many just as good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I have always been a fan of t6 5w40 and used it in diesels. Thought I heard something about it causing damage to catalytic converters??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don’t know about damaging the catalytic converter but I do have cats deleted on this car...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts