Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would it take to get my stealth tt to get into the 10's for 1/4mile?

what kind of mods...preferably the best for their price excluding nos.
thanx in advance

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
try searching for that in the search option. I believe somebody else was trying to get a 10 second car.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Best for the price? I dont think so.

Weight: Remove all seats, dash, blower, AC, excess panelling, AWS, tow hooks, etc. Fiberglass hood w/ cold air intake.

Traction: Next get some light and cheap 16" rims and get some Drag radials.

Exhaust: Free flowing turbo-back exhaust (no cats). Make it 3" all the way back. You could also consider getting the flanges off the exhaust manifold changed so you can use eclipse TD05 turbos instead of our TD04's (they are bigger and cheaper).

Intercoolers: Get a pair of eclipse intercoolers or dynamic racing's intercoolers.

Fuel: ARC II, Supra + booster pump, 720CC injectors.

Ignition: Upgraded coils, Magnecore wires, copper plugs

Turbos: AVCR controller, 17G or larger class turbo's (either a pair of eclipse 18g's, 357's, 368's, etc ...).

Nitrous: 50-75 shot wet system.

Engine: Cam regrind, port/polish heads, bore engine to 3.1L, forged pistons, rings, etc. Titanium valve/lifters (remove redline), bored Throttle body, etc ...

Drivetrain: RPS stage III or greater clutch, aluminium flywheel, kormex tranny, CF driveshaft.

So all that will give you a 3,000lb car with about 700-800HP. Tuned and driven correctly you should have no problem getting 10's or faster ... but you will need $20-$30k and about 12 months free time to build and tune it.

So there. :)

·
W3Si member #010
1,765 Posts
Just get about 25k for mods and then call Matt Monet and get his exact set-up.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Damn, no way I would put down 25K at one time. I would slowly build to a 10 second car.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Damn, i dont doubt your guys' tuning ability, but a FWD 3/S would be years of ball-busting work. btw hans, how fast is your fwd TT?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanx to sum maybe not to sum others

·
Gear Head
3,262 Posts
Kormex rebuilds the tranny and uses all factory parts except syncro rings which they apparantly make.

A 10s 3S? How many times have we pondered this and drooled guys? Anyone ever do it yet? I'm sure we could, but how much money do you have? I am going to see just how far I can push my little stocker turbos first personally. But sence we're on the subject. You would need everything just about to run 10s. I think that should sum it up nicely. Have fun learning all about the car. If you ever need to know something just ask us. Does anyone know what Matt ran in his? What about Jeff? He has done crazy work to his. Does any know what he runs?

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
Someone (Jack T) already ran 10s with a very basic bolt on arrangement. Something like a denso pump with boost-a-pump, 15gs and a 50 shot of nitrous on a full interior and stock block with the normal BPU stuff and maybe a VPC. Nothing fancy and it was done. I just think guys are a little short of driving ability with the cars and thats the reason one can toss lots of dough at a car and have it only do 11s.

Sam

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Wraith, I don't believe it is all driving abillity. I personally feel most of our subpar times has to do with engine managment. Wait til we get a few cars running with GT-Pros computer, and some of the others on the market. IMHO, you will start to see the quarter mile times drop. The potential is there, it just hasn't been unleashed.

Ray
3SI member 1222

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
Yes, Jakc may have ran 2 or 3 10 sec quarter mile passes, but he blew his motor every time. The car really isn't that impressive to me unless it's running at the end of the day. That being said, I give Jack a hell of a lot of credit because he was the first and is still the only person with a 10 sec run behind him. In the last 5 YEARS only one person has even come close to beating it and that's Dynamic Racing. But their car blew up too. I know you have to break things to figure out how to go fast, but why the hell has it taken 5-6 years for anyone else to even come close?

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
I believe Jack said the 10 second car never blew an engine. I may be wrong, but he did say in one post that there was nothing wrong with it. I agree that engine management is very important as well. About driving ability, just look at Matts many runs with the 13gs in the white car. He does pretty much mid 11s on the sport upgrade with AI. He did low 11s with basically 15gs and no nitrous where tuning and overzeolous boosting blew the motor, not h.p.. I think if no one beats him to it, Trevor may be able to do 10s since he is taking a very methodical slow approach to it. I am not a great driver (this has been my first stick car) and I can pull high to mid 12s every time out now with my little 9bs and my basic mods. At 100,000 miles, I think I need to spend alot of cash to keep going, and I am not sure I want to for the lack of AWD dynos and proper engine management available.

Sam

·
Registered
856 Posts
Likuid said:
Damn, no way I would put down 25K at one time. I would slowly build to a 10 second car.
Is that really your car Likuid? It looks photoshopped to me? If it is yours, you're the first person I've ever seen w/ any of the Kaze stuff. How is the quality? Fiberglass? That stuff is a little out there for me - just curious.

.jon

·
Registered
856 Posts
wraith said:
Someone (Jack T) already ran 10s with a very basic bolt on arrangement. Something like a denso pump with boost-a-pump, 15gs and a 50 shot of nitrous on a full interior and stock block with the normal BPU stuff and maybe a VPC. Nothing fancy and it was done. I just think guys are a little short of driving ability with the cars and thats the reason one can toss lots of dough at a car and have it only do 11s.

Sam
Impossible. You are misinformed. There is no way you're gonna run 10's on 15g's. I don't see it happening. I think they are only good for like 600hp or something. No way, and definatly not w/o INCREDIBLE weight reduction.

Sorry, i've gotta see it to believe it. There are tons of guys w/ a setup identical to that, and they run like mid 12's.

.jon

·
Registered
251 Posts
No I edited it in PaintShop Pro. It's what I want my car to look like. I'm in the process of looking for a first-gen vr-4 to buy. I wanted a more european looking car. So I don't know how good the Kaze stuff is, hopefully good. But the front and back bumper are veilsides and so is the rear wing.

·
Ex-Owner
1,284 Posts
All this 10 sec stuff has got me thinking... I've seen probably 10 or more guys with 368 turbos in their sigs. There are a lot of people that have huge ass turbos and all that complicated air/fuel shit that i don't know about. What do they run? I know there are a lot of highly modified 3000's on this board and i would love to know how they perform.

·
Gear Head
3,262 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing. What does every one run here? I haven't taken my car to the track but then again it only has a clutch in it... I think engine management is key to getting a fairly quicker time. I don't who makes then spiffically for our cars but I am sure someone out there will make something for a price. I knwo it would be a lot of money but if it drops my time down by .5s and drastically helps preventing a blown motor it is worth it to me. Has anyone tryed looking into a TEC II system? I know I know. They are used on Hondas, BUT just yesterday I was reading about a VW Corrado that had one. I was thinking they can modify the system to fit any car. I also think a lot of blown motors here are do to improper ignition timeing. I hear a lot of people say timeing is automatically ajustable by +/- 20 degrees. But this is untrue. Check your manuals for timeing and you will see somethin like +7 to -17 or something I believe. With these hugh amounts of cylinder pressure I am not surprised guys are breaking things. Perhaps the answer to this barrier is simpley an ignition system which allows more retard timeing? I see ignitions addvertized all the time stateing -/+ 20-50 degrees programable timeing.

Likuid- By the way. I don't care if it is done on photoshop. That looks BAD-ASS!!! I never thought I would like the styleing on a 1st gen more than the 2nd gen. No offence to you 1st gens out there. Mearly a personal prefferance.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts