Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to my girlfriend's parents house for Turkey Day yesterday, and my girlfriend, her dad and brother see me on the road. Her brother has been trying to race me in his new 03' Cobra for a while. Well what better time than thanksgiving. So we went to this sorta remote road. Basically the result was just as I expected, I took him off the line pretty well, got to about 30-40mph, and then i basically HEAR his car fly right by. Those things are SICK. It was funny too because her dad made my girlfriend ride with me to "distribute weight evenly". I'm like jesus christ I think i'm gonna have a hard enough time as it is. He also said that we should race from a roll...which i reluctantly declined. Anyone else run with these things yet?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VRMAN said:
Buying a BOV+no other mods= boderline rice.

Like many other people on this site, my stock BOV leaked, so I got a new one. Obviously if I was going to mod my car I wouldn't get a BOV first.

·
1,377 Posts
Odin said:

Possibly the dumbest statement I've ever heard. Borderline Rice? Bah.
I second that notion. If he has turbos under the hood, then he could put an aftermarket bov and nothing else whatsoever if he wants and not be rice. It would be rice if he put one of those fake bovs with the speaker on a N/A. I replaced mine for the same reason as Bacho did, but I may have even if it didn't leak.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Nice race. I don't see why her dad was so anal. Gees, that car already is way faster. A buddy of mine has one. They trap 110 to 112 stock so expect one hell of a raping. Now if you got intake, gutted cats, MBC and some race gas that'll be a whole different story. At least you would put up quite a fight from a stop before he caught up to you.

·
3si member #1623
1,976 Posts
Good run. I heard the new Cobras were fast. There are a few 2002-3 GT's here but havent seen any Cobras yet.. thank God!:eek: :D
Do you plan to stay stock? Even if you don't want to mod; a K&N filter will gain some hp and allow your car to breath better. Sweet lookin ride though man! ;) Peace

·
Registered
213 Posts
they're fast as hell is what they are. i saw a video on the RX-7 forum of a couple guys out in one for a night on the town. they had a g-tech hooked up and were doing 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. i think it hit 60 in under 5sec. and did the 1/4 right around 13 maybe even high 12's. all you heard when he got on it was the SC just screaming. pretty damn nifty

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DjMonnie said:
Good run. I heard the new Cobras were fast. There are a few 2002-3 GT's here but havent seen any Cobras yet.. thank God!:eek: :D
Do you plan to stay stock? Even if you don't want to mod; a K&N filter will gain some hp and allow your car to breath better. Sweet lookin ride though man! ;) Peace
Thanks for the compliments. I eventually want to mod my car, right now I'm just kinda doing some engine dress up. I don't know how much her dad was anal as much as he just didn't know much about my car. He's STRICKLY a muscle car kinda guy. But he does like my car. It was funny I took him for a ride in it the first day I got it and went pretty fast around a turn, he freaked out, looking back i shouldn't have done it but it was pretty fun. Her dad has a 63' Shelby Cobra Replica. Thing is pretty badass, he's gotta it up around 400hp. I have no clue what he's done to it. He let me take it out with my g/f once by ourselves. Talk about getting LOOKS!!! Oh and i have dropped a K&N in so my car does breath a little better. WIthin the next 6 months i'm going to start doing some serious stuff to it, then maybe i can give him a run for his money, well on the backroads anyway. ;)

·
Jordan
3,032 Posts
i dont think it is borderline rice, but it sure would help to have some mods to run up against one of those. I hate mustangs, but i'll give those '03 cobra's some credit. :(

·
3kgt Driver
3,505 Posts
Good attempt. Put some more mods & Beat that guy! Show ur GF who's the man!

·
Booooossstt
6,788 Posts
I raced one about a month ago... I have a boost controller, test pipe and an intake and I was raped hardcore and had to rest on my stomach for weeks :( He had a lightning supercharger pulley, chip and exhaust and it was quite the 11 sec car. He had nittos on the back and he would only roast em for like 5 feet and hook up and then you just went :eek: He gave me a 5 car lead and I did a 6k launch and he caught up with me like you wouldnt believe.... I haven't had a car pull like that when I actually launched with the AWD b4!!!!!!!! These cars are truly unbelievable and can lay down the power with such simple mods!
sean

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yeah my buddy with he's new 03 cobra has just test pipes, cat back, and chip and he ran a 12.4 @ 115mph. Preaty damm good for just a intake and exhaust. Unless I spray he'll put quite a smack down on me.

·
This space for rent.
3,009 Posts
Good death Bacho. No shame in losing to one of those, especially since you are basically stock.

I'm curious though . . you said he caught you by 30-40 mph . . so this would be right in or after your second gear shift, correct ? If so, and you launched well, he sure caught you awfully quick . . . I would have thought that, even if he is all stock, that it would have taken him until at least the top of second gear / beginning of third to go by you.

Was he on DR's or Nitto's ?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
38 Cigarette said:
Good death Bacho. No shame in losing to one of those, especially since you are basically stock.

I'm curious though . . you said he caught you by 30-40 mph . . so this would be right in or after your second gear shift, correct ? If so, and you launched well, he sure caught you awfully quick . . . I would have thought that, even if he is all stock, that it would have taken him until at least the top of second gear / beginning of third to go by you.

Was he on DR's or Nitto's ?
Basically I had him until I shifted in 2nd. At that point I actually heard him shift into second and then i SAW him beside me. So basically he was almost even with me, maybe a 1/2 car length behind at the end of his first gear, then when he shifted in second he caught up to me and flew by. Sorry maybe i didn't explain it quite right before. I had a good launch but it was only from 4K. I know i know i should have gone from 6K but this race wasn't worth destorying my tranny over. This was just for fun everyone knew what the outcome was going to be. His car is putting over 100hp more to the wheels. I'd probably have to do a LOT of modding to catch up to that.

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
I am sure one would need upgraded turbos to take a Cobra. They make almost 400h.p. to the wheels with the same weight as us. We make about 320-330 AWHP in full BPU form if everything is working 110%. They have an IRS set-up which adds all the extra weight where they needed it---in the ass end. I would say DR650s at 15-17psi are in order to get one on a roll nothing less. Still not bad. You take a used 99 for $25,000, put another $10k into it and you can have a mid 11 car on the street for about what a fully loaded Cobra would cost or get a good 93 for about $12k and do the same for about $10k less. Otherwise, even though the Cobras have an old looking interior even worse then the T/As IMHO, you can not argue that performance-wise its the best bang for the buck.

Sam

·
Registered
291 Posts
That's exactly what I don't like about mustangs, even the new corbras. That damm cheap ass interior. Sure it's nicer in the cobras but the layout is crap. Just me though. Other then that I like the way it looks on the outside.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.