Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

engine bay cleaning help

967 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ifithas2be 
#1 ·
does anyone know how to clean an engine bay? i'd like to get my engine in good enough condition to open up my hood at meets/shows, lol. i do have a compressor with air gun and pressure washer attachments.

im just uncertain to what exactly i need to cover and advice on what types of cleaning tools and methods to have while cleaning. maybe someone local can clean their bay with me =D.

#2 ·
No to the spraying down of the engine bay. You'll get horrible water spots everywhere.

Microfiber cloths, simple green, black magic, and steel wool. Remove everything you can from the engine bay and start cleaning. Get into every nook and cranny you can. Remove miscellaneous metal brackets and opt to get them powdercoated. Use steel wool OUTSIDE of the car as little bits will get everywhere. Getting it clean enough to eat off from takes a LOT of time and patience..

My car has been apart since January and I'm just now getting it back together.

#4 ·
Only use the steel wool on parts that aren't painted obviously. I think I usually use 00 but I don't think it matters.

I actually have quite a bit of fun cleaning out my bay. I often times find things that would normally hurt me down the road but I catch it soon enough to be able to fix it while I'm down there. I also find it a great time to upgrade old rubber hoses to SS braided lines and such.

#5 ·
Im a freak when it comes to a clean engine bay, Im always touching it up polishing/waxing. Just be sure to take your time and if in doubt wrap a few plastic bags, tee shirts around anything your scared of damaging. I do agree it is fun, especially when your finished the results are worth the trouble.

#6 ·
I am gonna start sanding my valve cover this week, once I get it nice and smooth I will paint it a totally weird color, maybe even gay blue (teal) cleaning engine bay is such a pain I have only done it once in almost 2 years, it's about due though

#7 ·
You can spray down your engine bay. Just be sure to plastic (saran) wrap electrical connections and cover up any openings (air intake). Items that are covered in oil or grease can be sprayed with a degreaser (engine bright) and scrubbed. I use sandpaper (800-1000 grit) and polish for any exposed metal. You have anything that needs a light polish just come by the house and ill see what i can do for u. We all have our lil tips and tricks to keep our engine bay nice and clean. Contrary to popular opinion; I don't just paint everything. LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.