Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Attn. Albany NY area 3si members.

2K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  iguana 
#1 ·
I'm going to be moving to Albany - Troy very soon and need some advice on NY state inspection, tags, inspection. What exactly is needed up here to be legal on the road? Do you have to have front plates too? How easy is inspection? I can put on my main cat but there's no way to put back my pre-cats.

Are there any other members in Albany?

Please. serious replies and help, no junk.
Thanks.

#2 ·
I'm in NY. You need a front license plate. If your car is healthy it will pass with just the main cat. It depends where you go to get the inspection. Where i go he just runs its on the machine to check exhaust emissions. Your not supposed to have a CEL either. The right procedure is check the brakes, tires, suspension, all that and make sure its in good condition and safe for the road. If you can't pass drive down here to long island and i can help you out.

#3 ·
im from near rochester. And if your car is before a 96 then you dont need any cats! and you can even have the cel light on. just make sure all lights and tires and brakes and tie rods all that good stuff is good. I had my car inspected 3 times now with only having a megan muffler no cats. and my cel light has been on each time as well.

but pre 96 they dont smog test.

and yes you do need a front plate, i have myn in my windshield. knock on wood no problems yet.

hope this helps.

#27 ·
You obviously go to a place that doesn't care too much. You MUST have a visible cat. You CANNOT have a CEL. There is also no smog testing here.

Upstate NY means you do not have to pass emissions. Only the safety inspection.
I have no cat and I passed. They never even looked.
No.

Do yourself a favor and go here. NYS DMV - Vehicle Safety, Inspection, Repairs and Dealers

You're going to get a lot of wrong answers here because there are a lot of shops out there that pass cars just to get them out.

#4 ·
You need to have a converter visibly in place for inspection for all model years, unless the car is 26 years old or older, or less than 2 years old. License plates are required to be affixed to the bumpers (lost count of how many tickets i've received from not having a front one or having it in the windshield, usually only $90 or so).

Take a look at this link. Has all the NYS inspection items you need to know about.

NYS DMV - (Brochure) New York State Vehicle Safety/Emissions Inspection Program for Cars and Light Trucks

#6 ·
Maybe you should read the link I provided as well.

#7 · (Edited)
looked at the link. and my buddy is a licensed inspector and they taught him that 96 and newer get smog tested. and i go to a different shop to do my inspection and they have said the same thing.

edit look at this link
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/vehsafe.htm#einspect

i guess it is pretty confusing on all the actual requirements. but upstate its a visual check according to that link. so if the inspector wants to be a dick he could see you took it off and not pass you. but im just saying they know i dont have anything in my exhaust and they dont care.

#8 ·
^ Yup. It's pretty much if he wants to be a dick about it.

What your buddy means is that '96 and newer have to pass computerized emissions testing. Meaning the NYS inspector station plugs into the car's OBD connector to check to see if the monitors are ready, not ready, or failed. Nothing gets smog tested upstate, that's NYC where they use a tailpipe sniffer. Pre-'96 is visually emissions tested for the presence of the emissions control systems originally equipped on the vehicle.

To quote your link so it's in the thread:
What emissions inspection is required if a gas-powered vehicle is not required to have the OBDII test and is not exempt from emissions inspection?

If a vehicle is a 1995 or older model gas-powered vehicle that is not exempt from emissions inspection the vehicle receives:

A high-enhanced emissions inspection if the vehicle is registered in the NYCMA, or
A low-enhanced emissions inspection if the vehicle is registered in the Upstate Area.

#10 ·
so am i in trouble since i removed all the emissions crap. charcoal can and vacuum reduction are long gone. I put my freeflow cat back on more to appease new neighbors and quiet the exhaust down for now. I don't have any access to tools or garage to do anything and i think i'm going to try and delay inspection as long as possible.

#11 ·
Technically yes. Realistically, no. Most mechanics don't go looking for the presence of the EVAP components. If they do, they'll look for a converter and that's it.

#13 ·
where about near Albany?

#15 ·
doh, I'm trying to buy a house in Country Knoll which is the north part of Clifton Park. PM me if you want to hook up. I'm staying in Saratoga till i can close on the house so I'm stuck unable to do any work on the car even though i need to figure out a pressure pulse problem and get my stupid antenna to go down. All i have is a small bag of tools to take care of any problems i have till i move my garage up here. PM me if you want to meet up.

#17 ·
I live right outside troy new york if either of you guys ever wanna meet up. there have been a ton of ppl chillin over in albany every weekend lately. I don't know if you know about the car scene around here or not, but kohls in albany is usually a pretty big hot spot.

#18 ·
sounds cool. you want to meet up next weekend?

#20 ·
Hey guys I live up in Queensbury NY, just below Lake George. I have a 91 VR4. Do you guys ever bring your cars to any shows or places to meet up around here? I usually go to the 3S NY meet up in Lake George each year, and I make a few passes at Lebonan Valley each summer. Let me know and well meet up.
Chris

#21 ·
VR4 has been in the garage since feb. I need to do a bunch of work so it's not going anywhere soon. Sucks.

#24 ·
i live in albany and also have a place up in lake george, i have a CEL from removing my precats and i just reset the ecu the night before i get inspected, infact did it last week no problems at all.also today while renewing my license in clifton park i saw a red 3000 on the northway around exit 9. anyone of you guys?

#26 ·
i live in albany and also have a place up in lake george, i have a CEL from removing my precats and i just reset the ecu the night before i get inspected, infact did it last week no problems at all.also today while renewing my license in clifton park i saw a red 3000 on the northway around exit 9. anyone of you guys?
You happened to get to the inspection station before the catalyst monitor cleared. Since it's a 97 you can have 2 of the 8 monitors 'not ready'. Catalyst and EVAP are usually the last ones to clear. Just fyi I guess. Interesting that you have a 97 and get a CEL from removing the precats and I have never had a CEL from doing the same.

#31 ·
Grant, Nothing much wrong but it started running lean and misfiring back in Feb so i took it off the road and bought a 2010 Nissan to Versa for daily driving (36mpg). been working on the house on weekends but I have a box of parts to rebuild the front steering rack, put new inner arms on it and try and fix my alignment issue. New Walbro pump and fuel filter too to try and fix the missfire. Need to test the wastegate actuators and check deeper into what's causing my BPV to hoot so much and cause the car to start lunging with power issues. Might need to send the injectors out to get cleaned. might cut the front crash bar to aid with airflow. Might work on my ducted hood project (3 years and still little progress).
Nothing I need extra hands with. Just time and the wife off my case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.