Haven't been on here for awhile. New neighbor has a stock Z32 TT, 5 speed, and talks shit oh my stock 1996 3000GT VR-4, also stock. He's relentless. I remember the Z32 being slow so..
I did some research :
Best Motoring is a famous Japanese television show thatâ€™s focuses on Japanese performance cars. Theyâ€™re drivers are actual race car drivers that have WON AWARDS. They tested all the performance cars of the era.
In 1994 Mitsubishis 3000GT VR4 beat the R32 Skyline GTR, a car that weighs 3100 lbs and dyno [email protected]
https://youtu.be/fwps3TVcJMM ! And then in 1996, the GTO MR, which is identical to the 2G VR4, with 67 less pounds, bested an R33 Skyline GTR pulling a 12.8 quarter mile. https://youtu.be/ukVsqR66ldE
The Skyline GTR was the fastest model Nissan made, their Halo car. The J spec VR4 identical, how would it lose to a 300ZX Twin Turbo which is a much less powerful car? These videos alone prove how much faster it is
1990 to 1993
Road and Track, 1989 300ZXTwin Turbo Debut http://www.300zx.cl/ga2/300zx2/images/ryt895.jpg 0 to 60 / 6.5s. / 0 to 100 16.5s, quarter mile of [email protected]
Road and Track,1990 3000GT VR4 Debut https://www.stealth316.com/images/rt_9-90-p8.jpg 0 to 60 6.3s / 0 to 100 16.2 / quarter mile [email protected]
In Road and Track, the VR4 consistently got more praise and better times
Car and Driver, 1992, 'Slide the High Country'
300ZX Twin Turbo: 0 to 60 5.5, quarter mile [email protected]
3000GT VR4: 0 to 60 5.4, quarter mile [email protected]
Considering the VR4 to be .01s faster when it weighs 350 lbs more, these aren't awful results, especially the slalom, where the Z is .89 and the VR4 .91. Ouch. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a15140581/nissan-300zx-turbo-vs-dodge-stealth-r-t-turbo-archived-comparison-test/ - The 300ZX Twin Turbo won with a faster ET and trap, (though C/D did state this was the fastest TT-Z theyd every tested). Ouch. After 1994 Tests
1994 to 1999
1. https://youtu.be/kBTwc8h-cnI - MotorWeek, 1994
3000GT VR4, 0 - 60 in 4.9 and the quarter mile in [email protected]
, MW couldn't get the Z faster than [email protected]
, so 3-4 car lengths ahead at the same trap speed
2. https://www.motortrend.com/news/virtual-velocity/ MotorTrend, 1995, 'Virtual Velocity
Z, [email protected]
/ VR4, [email protected]
The Z is 4-6 car lengths away and moving .4s faster isn't passing up that much ET difference.
3. https://youtu.be/vFEYkgOZdC4 - Stock 1999 3000GT VR4, quarter mile of [email protected]
This is a thoroughly stock car. It took him over a month to get the launch down
4. http://www.300zx.cl/ga/300zx/images/rtt10.jpg - Road and Track, 1994
300ZX Twin Turbo,[email protected]
/ 3000GT VR4, [email protected]
Another instance of the VR4 being too far ahead for the Z to catch up to with under a single mph. It lost by 2 SECONDS around a track to the VR4 http://www.300zx.cl/ga/300zx/images/rtt07.jpg
5. https://www.motortrend.com/news/mitsubishi-3000gt-vr4/ - The launch was bad for both the Supra TT and VR4, yet the VR4 did 0-60 in 4.8s and tied the Supra TT in the 1/4m @ 13.6s, with the Supra trapping substantially higher (Obviously).
6. https://archiv.3000gt.org/viewtopic.php?t=2582 - Popular Mechanics, 1999, Acceleration Nation
1999 3000GT VR-4, 0 to 60 in 5.00s, 1/4m in 13.44s @ 101.79mph
They could have had a better launch, but who cares, no 300ZX Twin Turbo is pulling a 13.4 ET without bolt ons and definitely slick rubber.
7. Seems the Z32 isn't all it's shaped up to be, it lost to a 250HP Corvette by a SECOND around a track When all was said and done, the CorÂ¬vette turned laps in the one-minute 38-second range, at an average speed of 64 mph, while the Nissan was almost a second per lap slower. "No big deal," you're saying? On the contrary. It is a big deal in a two-hour race. Far more important, the Corvetteâ€”with its hip-hugging seats, smooth power delivery, and neutral handlingâ€”is far easier to drive for long periÂ¬ods at those speeds. To put the CorÂ¬vette's racetrack prowess into perÂ¬spective, remember that the big V-8 produces 50 fewer horsepower than the twin-turbo terror https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a15112003/1991-chevrolet-corvette-z51-fx3-vs-nissan-300zx-archived-comparison-test/ http://www.300zx.cl/ga2/300zx/images/cvsg4.jpg - Z did 0-60 in 5.9 and the 1/4m in [email protected]
After finding all this out, I ran him. From a dig to 140 I had a car length ahead. From a 20 and 40 roll i wasted him. He was able to be fender to fender from 100mph roll.
Has anyone ran one stock to stock?