These cars do better than I thought they would - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Racing Discussions > Drag Racing

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2019, 02:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
The dark shall be with us

Drives: 93' VR4
Devilmightcry Level 1Devilmightcry Level 1
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Default These cars do better than I thought they would

I always thought these cars need more power to beat other cars because the negatives get to your head too when you hear it over and over but lately I have noticed these cars are actually quicker than I thought. I have been roll racing my car often and it's surprisingly the hell out of me. One night I raced a 650whp charger with a pro charger and I slowly walked on him by a fender. Other night I raced a 2018 mustang gt 10 speed with some mode and I pulled on him a little. Those cars make 423 whp stock. Last night I raced another one making 495whp with skinnies and it beat me by about a fender. I don't know how much I'm making but I looked up Ray's dyno and max I could ve making would be ~450whp at 24psi with my cast wheel ported dr650. Mine doesn't hold 24 psi. More like 22 psi. I got a 5 speed on so that helps a bit since I don't have to shift. The mustangs shifter 2 times when I was in 3rd gear. Lol these 10 speeds shift so fast. If it was a 6 speed, I probably would have beat him since he said he beat 6 speed like it's no tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
gawdzinner likes this.

Old 09-14-2019, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Verified Seller

vipershark11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Default Re: These cars do better than I thought they would

Our gearing especially the 5 speeds helps a lot.
vipershark11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2019, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: VR4, C43 AMG, R1M
OldMadBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Yes they are a lot faster and far more capable than most give them credit for.

I just took a good buddy for a short blast through a local canyon in mine. He has a built 500WHP EVO VIII with Ohlins and super sticky tires.

He expected mine to be faster than his EVO (and it is) but what really surprised him was the lateral grip and control I get through the twisties. He wanted to know what special tires I had on - my answer "9 year old Michelin Pilots lol".

Its hard to beat our footprint, low C of G, AWD and AWS, keeping it all planted and controllable WOT mid-corner.

Original owner '94 VR4
Motor: All forged internals, Stge 3 heads, Stg 2 cams, 3SX S/S headers, 3SX Executioners V2, CSX racing SMIC, 760 injectors, 90mm TB, Aeromotive fuel pump, dual AFR, AEM V2 ECU with full-time closed loop, Snow Performance Stage 3 Water/Methanol, 3SX fuel rail, Mishimoto radiator, tons of other details, Tanabe 3" turbo-back.
Driveline: Clutch Masters 850 twin plate, rebuilt and braced 6 speed, 2 piece hybrid propshaft, Quaife front, Torsen center, KAAZ rear diffs, AP 6 piston brakes, Ohlin coil-overs, rear adjustable camber arms
Interior: rear seat deleted, Corbeau race seats.
OldMadBrit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 05:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Correct but I think the AWS we have actually hurts cornering.

Devilmightcry is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2019, 07:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilmightcry View Post
Correct but I think the AWS we have actually hurts cornering.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
One fix at a time

Drives: 95 RT/TT
TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2
Feedback Score: 40 reviews

Surprisingly, I usually get a decent amount of respect from actual car people not the ones that only like one platform but will appreciate anything well built. I have my car turned down due to lifting the heads but at around 500whp it still surprises quite a few how hard such small turbos pull.

They also can’t believe how planted the car is in the corners. Even after coil overs and upgraded center diff surprisingly wider rear tires made almost as much of a difference in grip as doing the center diff upgrade. I’d like to do 275 fronts and 300+ rears vs the 255/285 combo I have now.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
I've been here way too long

Drives: 91 tsi
donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Turbo cars are faster at similar power to weight ratio because of the nature of turbo power. Na cars may make 600whp for 500 rpms while the turbo car making 500 makes within 10% of that 500hp for 3,000 rpms.
OldMadBrit likes this.
donniekak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2019, 11:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yes. That's why the 10 speed Mustangs are so much faster than the older ones.

OldMadBrit likes this.
Devilmightcry is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019, 11:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum user

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSinceBirth View Post
Surprisingly, I usually get a decent amount of respect from actual car people not the ones that only like one platform but will appreciate anything well built. I have my car turned down due to lifting the heads but at around 500whp it still surprises quite a few how hard such small turbos pull.

They also cant believe how planted the car is in the corners. Even after coil overs and upgraded center diff surprisingly wider rear tires made almost as much of a difference in grip as doing the center diff upgrade. Id like to do 275 fronts and 300+ rears vs the 255/285 combo I have now.
Same experience here. Real racers and car people do "get it" and show respect - mostly because the BS stops when the lap timer starts.

You are dead on regarding lateral grip. A modestly lowered VR4 provides almost shocking levels of steady-state lateral g even on stock 245 x 18s. Adding upgraded differentials (Quaife, Torsen & KAAZ) extends this to transient-state lateral g all but eliminating front push, without resorting to massive camber and grip-limiting sway bars.

I have my motor built for 700WHP but have it turned down to 515WHP - because that's really all you can use effectively on a racetrack without needing ceramic rotors and major aero upgrades.
gawdzinner likes this.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum user

SWENDAB is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

All that fun and no footage... shame on you.
OldMadBrit likes this.
SWENDAB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Racing Discussions > Drag Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in