3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International
 

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
3000GT/Stealth International Message Center

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center (https://www.3si.org/forum/index.php)
-   Audio/Video Systems (https://www.3si.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Rough Volume of Rear Speaker Enclosure? (https://www.3si.org/forum/showthread.php?t=819079)

midnightg35x 08-11-2019 10:41 PM

Rough Volume of Rear Speaker Enclosure?
 
I'm looking at replacing the rear 6x9's with dedicated 6.5" subs. I haven't pulled my seats apart to measure anything yet, so does anybody know the rough enclosure volume and port length/diameter? I originally wanted to look into the JL 6W3v3, but the mounting depth has me concerned. It might have to be something shallower like the Skar EVL-65. Finding the volume of the enclosure will help me narrow down my choices if it is even a good idea.

This is on a 1992 3000GT VR4. I searched around and could not find the answer.

PhailosaurusRex 08-12-2019 03:50 AM

Re: Rough Volume of Rear Speaker Enclosure?
 
Remove the enclose, seal the inside of the port and the mounting hole, fill it with water then measure the water. I haven't seen a volume published for it.

Personally I'd stick with a quality 6x9 due to the small volume (even before displacement) and lack of rigidity. There's also only 3" of mounting depth.

jrhorne 08-12-2019 12:35 PM

Re: Rough Volume of Rear Speaker Enclosure?
 
For the mounting depth, i recall from many years ago when i replaced the rear 6x9 speakers that i had to cut the port/tube that protrudes into the speaker enclosure because the magnet from the aftermarket speakers was much larger than stock (e.g., aftermarket speaker was "deeper"). This was a simple fix however - i just had to cut part of the plastic tube and the new speakers cleared without a problem

midnightg35x 08-12-2019 01:10 PM

Re: Rough Volume of Rear Speaker Enclosure?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhailosaurusRex (Post 1056310591)
Remove the enclose, seal the inside of the port and the mounting hole, fill it with water then measure the water. I haven't seen a volume published for it.

Personally I'd stick with a quality 6x9 due to the small volume (even before displacement) and lack of rigidity. There's also only 3" of mounting depth.

I was hoping to get a measurement before I ripped everything apart and then have to decide what to use with the panels apart, but your method will certainly work. If I do go that route, I'll report back on the volume. There certainly is a question about rigidity, but I will have to see what options I have there once I get in there. I know it is a small volume, but there are a good amount of small 6.5" subs out there that do not require much volume. Finding that actual mounting depth is a key parameter to limit my choices down. My ideal sub to put in there is a JL 6W3v3 as it only needs .15 ft^3 sealed, but the mounting depth is pretty deep at 4.25." Moving to something like the skar evl-65 drops the mouting depth to 3.5", but sealed box goes up to 0.25 ft^3. The shallowest option is the earthquake SWS 6.5X with 1.8125" mounting depth and 0.2-0.4 ft^3 sealed.

I like the dedicated sub instead of a 6x9 because I was going to completely remove the rear fill otherwise.


Quote:

Originally Posted by jrhorne (Post 1056310659)
For the mounting depth, i recall from many years ago when i replaced the rear 6x9 speakers that i had to cut the port/tube that protrudes into the speaker enclosure because the magnet from the aftermarket speakers was much larger than stock (e.g., aftermarket speaker was "deeper"). This was a simple fix however - i just had to cut part of the plastic tube and the new speakers cleared without a problem

I think if the volume of the enclosure is small, I would have to remove the port all together. I doubt it has the volume to support a port of any kind as ported enclosures need more volume compared to their sealed counterparts. Cutting the port changes its characteristics also, so I again would probably just go sealed unless the volume and port characteristics happen to line up with a speaker I can find.

Thanks for the input!

PhailosaurusRex 08-12-2019 06:52 PM

Re: Rough Volume of Rear Speaker Enclosure?
 
One other consideration is excursion and how much clearance there is between the enclosure and the panel. I can't think of a good way to check this off the top of my head. You may be limited to a flush mount setup cutting into the net volume further.

Just to give you another option, Kicker has a 6.75" shallow mount that may fit. Depth is 2.75" cutout is 5.625 and min sealed volume is 0.18 cubes.

midnightg35x 08-14-2019 08:02 PM

Re: Rough Volume of Rear Speaker Enclosure?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhailosaurusRex (Post 1056310697)
One other consideration is excursion and how much clearance there is between the enclosure and the panel. I can't think of a good way to check this off the top of my head. You may be limited to a flush mount setup cutting into the net volume further.

Just to give you another option, Kicker has a 6.75" shallow mount that may fit. Depth is 2.75" cutout is 5.625 and min sealed volume is 0.18 cubes.

Yep, I realize those limitations. The first one I had is if the volume is even close so I'll start there.

For no particular reason, I'm just not a big kicker fan.

PhailosaurusRex 08-14-2019 08:31 PM

Re: Rough Volume of Rear Speaker Enclosure?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by midnightg35x (Post 1056310807)
For no particular reason, I'm just not a big kicker fan.

I figured that would be the case considering your ideal driver is a W3.

After looking at a number of pictures and estimating the dimensions, the internal volume should be in the ballpark of 0.12 cubes before displacement. 0.14 best case scenario.

The last pic here gives a pretty good idea of the face dimensions.
Stealth 316 - Speakers


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.