Any recommendations for replacement speakers? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Audio/Video Systems

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2019, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Money pit owner.

Drives: 1993 Stealth R/T TT
gawdzinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Default Any recommendations for replacement speakers?

i know/understand very little about car audio so i'm looking for some advice.

My 1993 stealth r/t tt came with stock speakers and a pioneer avh-x2500bt stereo. i'm not looking for a loud system but i want it to sound better than a tinny transistor radio. can anyone recommend a decent sounding drop-in speaker replacement?

https://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/PO...-X2500BT#Audio

Mods from stock:
Reproduction 1996 Stealth spoiler, VMS 10mm spark plug wires with their aluminum separators, NGK BKR6EIX-11 spark plugs gapped to 0.32", Touren TR9 3190 wheels, Maximal high flow main catalytic converter, PowerStop front/rear slotted & drilled brake rotors and pads, Tiny catch can, Curt trailer hitch, 2nd gen rear bumper aluminum reinforcement, LED backup & license plate & interior bulbs, Pioneer AVH-X2500BT with backup camera, DSM SMICs converted by oohnoo, 3S warehouse sidemount oil cooler, EVO 8/9 blow off valve, EGR blockoff plates, Vented hood blister mod, Stainless bolt kit, LCDBC as an ECU monitor, 3SX Stainless-Steel Braided Brake Lines, 3SX Door Sills, High speed cooling fan mod, Retractable license plate holder, 3SX rear control arms, Snake eye mod, Pilot WI-HL6A 4656 Head Lamp Conversion Kit, K&N oil filter, Stant XACTSTAT #48217 thermostat, DNP Y pipe, Maximal 5-Speed Transfer Case Bracket, ACPT carbon fiber driveshaft
gawdzinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 91 3000GT VR4
jrhorne is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default Re: Any recommendations for replacement speakers?

If you aren't planning on running an amp to the door/rear speakers, then you can't really go wrong with any name brand. You will probably only get about 15W RMS from the head unit. IIRC they are usually something like 200W peak, 4 speakers so 50W peak each, and usually 15 or 25W "average" power to each. Pretty much any speaker can handle that.

One other thing to note is that most aftermarker speakers will not have the separate tweater that is in the dash. Typically you will just not use this speaker anymore so you will have the front 2 speakers and 2 rear speakers. You can get aftermarket speakers with separate tweaters but up to you if its worth it to go through the hassle of wiring those in, especially because they are usually not the same diameter as stock.
Gt-347 Turbo Kit (~13g)--RC 550cc Injectors--Denso Fuel Pump--Apexi S-AFC II--Turboxs Boost Controller--3sx Air Filter--DNP Stainless Intake Pipe Kit--Turboxs BOV--Autometer Boost Gauge--AEM UEGO Wideband O2--EK2 Downpipe--Gutted Precats--Testpipe--Polished VR-4 Plug Wire Cover, Valve Cover, & Plenum--Stage 2 Twin Turbo Clutch Kit--Full Bomex Body Kit
jrhorne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Money pit owner.

Drives: 1993 Stealth R/T TT
gawdzinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

thanks jrhorne!

I'm in a small town so there's 1 Walmart and 1 car stereo store, not many options lol
I'm thinking of pull the door panels and taking the car to the stereo store and asking if they would allow me to try a few different speakers out, I don't mind paying a bit more for that type of service.
gawdzinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 05:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: '91 VR4
PhailosaurusRex is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawdzinner View Post
I'm thinking of pull the door panels and taking the car to the stereo store and asking if they would allow me to try a few different speakers out, I don't mind paying a bit more for that type of service.
Usually those shops have boards setup inside to demo the different speakers they offer. I'd be blown away if they let you try them out in vehicle but crazier things have happened.

My only suggestion would be to avoid the high end stuff with high power ratings since you're running very little power. Typically higher power ratings goes hand in hand with reduced sensitivity which means reduced volume when paired with your existing gear.
Pick an entry level set from a respected brand that sounds good to your ear and you should be in good shape. Perhaps ask the staff for suggestions of speakers that perform well on deck power?

For the doors you'll want a round 6.5" and it wouldn't be a bad idea to pull off a door panel and have the shop (or yourself) do a test fit to check mounting depth clearance. I've found them to be a little on the shallow side. Odds are you'll have to drill new holes in the plastic the speakers mount to, the factory speakers have a large square-ish mounting flange that aftermarket speakers won't have.
PhailosaurusRex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2019, 05:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 91 3000GT VR4
jrhorne is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I was going to add similar comments to above but he beat me to it. A couple things:

1. As mentioned, for the front the speaker depth may be an issue. Presumably you want to keep the stock speaker covers. Some aftermarkets speakers have a tweeter in the center that protrudes out and wont fit behind the stock covers. This happened to me and i had to switch to a cheaper speaker in the fronts that had a more flush tweeter in the center. Also agree its very unlikely they will let you test fit speakers in the car. You can try the sound in the store with their test panel as mentioned. In reality, powering from a head unit only, all are going to sound very similar. Unless you are an audiophile and are playing from a HQ source (e.g., direct from USB into stereo with 320kbps MP3s, definitely not streaming on a phone into an audio jack) i doubt you will notice a difference in the car.

2. For the rears, i now remember having to modify the plastic housing that the speakers mounts into. Specifically, there is a "tube" or port that goes into where the speaker mounts and the aftermarket speakers had a much larger magnet. I just had to cut some of the tube so the speaker would go all the way in. its plastic so it was not a big deal at all, took only a few mins.

Another funny thing is when i took my stock speakers out, they were literally disintegrated - the center was no longer connected to the outer perimeter and i was shocked they were working at all.
jrhorne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Audio/Video Systems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country