Make your own valve spring compressor for $15 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > 3SI Knowledge Base > 3SI wikipedia Discussions > How-to's

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2003, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gearhead

Drives: 92 TT,82 Fiat Spider
OthercarisaFiat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Default Make your own valve spring compressor for $15

I couldn't find a valve spring compressor that would work without taking the heads off. I bought two different ones that didn't work because there is no room around the springs for the little arms that are supposed to hook onto the lower coils. Supposedly there is a Mitsubishi tool that will work but it's $200 if you can find it (I could not). So, I made my own from commonly available parts I bought from Home Depot for less than $15.

The photo below is the valve spring compressor in action. The posts following will explain how to make it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg intake1.jpg (40.4 KB, 4025 views)
OthercarisaFiat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2003, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Gearhead

Materials you will need:
(1) 3/4" pipe nipple, 3-1/2" long not including threads (cut them off if present).
(1) Steel bar stock, at least 12" long (preferably 14"), 1" to 1-1/2" wide, 1/4" thick; or a channel if you can find it, 1-1/2" wide by 1/2" deep by 1/8" thick. I had to buy a 36" long piece and cut it to length; this was the biggest part of the material cost.
(1) 5/16" x 6" screw eye, with a center hole about 1" diameter.
(1) 5/16" washer
(1) 5/16" nut
(1) 1/4" x 1" hex head bolt
(1) 1/4" nut
(4) 1/4" washers

Tools I used (yours may vary):

10" miter saw with abrasive metal cutoff blade (to cut pipe and handle to length)
4" angle grinder with metal cutoff blade
Dremel with 1-1/2" metal cutoff blade
Hacksaw with tungsten carbide rod blade
6" bench grinder with grinding wheel and wire wheel
Flat bastard file
Drill with 3/8" bit
Hammer and centerpunch

The first piece is made from a 3/4" pipe, black iron or galvanized. Cut off a piece 3 1/2" long. You don't want threads on the bottom surface that contacts the valve spring retainer. Threads on the other end don't matter. Cut out the window in the side using an angle grinder with cut-off wheel, a Dremel, or a hacksaw if you're a masochist. I used an angle grinder for the straight cut about 1/4" from the bottom and the angle cut at the top of the window, and a Dremel with a little abrasive cut-off wheel to make the cuts parallel with the pipe. Grind or wire wheel all the cut edges smooth. I tried covering the bottom surface with electrical tape so it wouldn't scratch the retainers, but it doesn't stay in place very long. None of my new retainers got scratched anyway (they're titanium). The finished piece looks like the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pipe.jpg (56.7 KB, 5219 views)

Last edited by OthercarisaFiat; 06-24-2004 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 07-20-2003, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gearhead

Next, make the handle. I used a 1 1/2" x 1/2" x 1/8" channel. You could also use flat bar stock, but it would probably need to be 1/4" thick. Don't use a tube section for reasons which will become obvious. Cut a piece about 13 or 14 inches long and grind the cut edge smooth. Drill a 3/8" hole about 1/2" from one end and another 3/8" hole about 1 1/2" in from the first one.

The hook is a 5/16" x 6" screw eye with about 1/4 of the eye cut off. There are also screw hooks you can buy, but usually they have an elongated hook that will get in the way and be difficult to use. The screw eye with a section cut out works better. You also need one or two 5/16" washers and a 5/16" nut; also a 1/4" x 1" hex head bolt, about four 1/4" washers and a 1/4" nut.

For initial setup, put the hook through the hole closest to the end of the bar, and put on the washer and nut. Run the nut down until about 1" of the threaded end of the hook sticks out. With the hook hanging down, put the 1/4" bolt with three washers up through the other hole, then put the other washer and the nut on and tighten the nut finger tight. The assembly looks like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg comp1.jpg (21.6 KB, 4962 views)

Old 07-20-2003, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Gearhead

The valve spring compressor is now ready to use. Here is a close up view of the parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg comp2.jpg (23.9 KB, 3624 views)
Old 07-20-2003, 10:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gearhead

Default How to Use the Valve Spring Compressor

Step 1: Maneuver the hook under the crossbar cast into the head, approximately under where the camshaft would be (I think this is an oil passage for the lash adjusters?)

Note: In the picture, the camshafts are removed. I haven't tried this without removing the camshafts so I don't know if it is possible. You could probably do it with a little bit larger hook.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg step1.jpg (28.5 KB, 2160 views)
Old 07-20-2003, 10:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gearhead

Step 2: Put the top end of the pipe over the bolt head and washers (these will keep it in place) and maneuver the bottom end over the spring retainer. Rotate the pipe so that the window is accessible, preferably up to catch any dropped keepers.

Step 3: Make sure the pipe is centered over the spring retainer, and adjust the nut on the hook to take up any slack, then press down on the handle to compress the valve. Hold it with one hand and use your other hand to remove or insert the keepers, with needlenose pliers, hemostat or whatever. By twisting and manipulating the handle, you can control the position of the retainer with respect to the valve stem to facilitate getting the keepers in and out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg step2.jpg (34.0 KB, 2084 views)

Last edited by OthercarisaFiat; 06-24-2004 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Missing Information from Original Thread
Old 07-20-2003, 10:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Gearhead

Default Exhaust valves in the back row

The exhaust valves in the rear cylinder bank have to be done differently, because there will be no room for the handle. Remove the hook and the bolt, and reverse them so the hook is where the bolt was and vice versa.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exhaust1.jpg (39.4 KB, 2445 views)
Old 07-20-2003, 10:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gearhead

Now instead of pushing down on the handle, you have to pull up on it. It's a little harder but it still works. If you have a helper this would be a piece of cake, but I did all 24 valves by myself using this tool.

You could wrap some duct tape around the end to make a sort of handle, that would be more comfortable to use; I didn't bother. There is also a liquid rubber type product you can dip the end in to make a rubber grip; Plasti Dip and Grip 'N' Guard are two brand names. I'd estimate it takes about a 20 lb. push or pull on the handle to compress stock springs, so it's not really uncomfortable even without this, but it would make it nice if you are going to use it more than once.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exhaust2.jpg (30.5 KB, 1665 views)
Old 06-07-2004, 04:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Drives: 1992 RT/TT
Alan92RTTT Level 3Alan92RTTT Level 3Alan92RTTT Level 3Alan92RTTT Level 3Alan92RTTT Level 3Alan92RTTT Level 3Alan92RTTT Level 3
Default Re: Make your own valve spring compressor for $15

Post copied to the how-to section.
Alan92RTTT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2004, 03:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member: Burned valve club

Drives: 91 Stealth RT/TT
cbatters is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Default Re: Make your own valve spring compressor for $15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan92RTTT
Post copied to the how-to section.
So what is the final word... can the VSS job be done without removing the cam shafts?

Clint
Replaced: 2X clutch / 3X brakes / 2X front rotors / 2X ABS HU / 1X NGK Plugs / 1X Ball joints / 2X Antenna mast / 1X Active exhaust cable / 1X Windshield / 1X Fuel FIlter / 1X Struts / 1X rear rotors / 1X Front Head / VSS / 1X rear wheel bearings / 1X Transfer case (warranty) / 1x Tie rod end (drivers side)
Overhauled: Starter, IAC, BISS, CV Boots
Upgrade: SilverStar Headlights / ebay "Xenon" Fog Bulbs (no more yellow!)
A/F Gauge / MAP - Electronic Boost Logging / MMCd Data Logger
Pending Projects: Steering Rack

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
cbatters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > 3SI Knowledge Base > 3SI wikipedia Discussions > How-to's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country