VR4 back n the road, Flash ECU and other stuff - Page 2 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Advanced Technical Discussions

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2019, 07:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: VR4, C43 AMG, R1M
OldMadBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default Re: VR4 back n the road, Flash ECU and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg View Post
Were you in the Bay area this whole time? I just moved to LA after ~4 years in the bay area. Woops!
Ha yes, I have lived in Orinda, CA for 25 years. I was pretty active in the 3000 GT community in the 90's when we were just starting to figure out how to get more out of them. I started racing Spec Racer Fords in the early '00's and switched to bikes for track days and the occasional "old man's race" and got an EVO IX as my daily driver in late '07.

I could never get my head around selling the VR4 so it sat in storage for a few years. Then I decided to get serious about putting the VR4 back in decent shape - now that we had access to decent electronics and suspension.

Here is a much younger me at my first run at Laguna Seca in '95.
Attached Thumbnails
VR4 back n the road, Flash ECU and other stuff-unable-contain-grin-after-first-ever-track-event-96.jpg  

Original owner '94 VR4
Motor: All forged internals, Stge 3 heads, Stg 2 cams, 3SX S/S headers, 3SX Executioners V2, CSX racing SMIC, 760 injectors, 90mm TB, Aeromotive fuel pump, water & methanol injection, dual AFR, dual knock, AEM V2 ECU with full-time closed loop, 3SX fuel rail, Mishimoto radiator, twin plate clutch on steel flywheel, Tanabe 3" turbo-back.
Driveline: rebuilt and braced 6 speed, 2 piece hybrid propshaft, Quaife front, Torsen center, KAAZ rear diffs, AP 6 piston brakes, Ohlin coil-overs, rear adjustable camber arms
Interior: rear seat deleted, Corbeau one piece race seats.
OldMadBrit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 05:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Forum user

Update, dis about 200 miles of shake downs over the weekend. Its currently tuned for 19psi max, while we fine tune it and work on improving heat management. My tuner had a calibration issue with the dyno and it turns out that we are getting ~600 lbft that we thought we were making at 19psi - the relatively fresh upgraded clutch was easily overwhelmed at 4,000 RPM in 2nd and 3rd.

I need a clutch set-up that will hold 700lbft from a stiffly mounted motor AND be usable in stop and go street use.

We did the research and decided to go with a Clutch Masters 850 street and track 2 disk set-up. As the name implies that's good for "850 torques".

I am aware that CM twin disk clutches had mixed reviews when they were first used on the platform 9 or so years ago - but the EVO and DSM guys seem to be getting good results with them - so fingers crossed.

On the plus side, I'm pretty amazed that we are getting ~600lbft at 19 psi of boost! I'm really looking forward to getting on with the airflow/heat management mods and seeing what we can get with 25psi!!
Old 08-07-2019, 06:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: 3000GTs
Albert0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Wow, you had the car since was the thing back in the day, brand new, that's awesome, so you noticed that the car worked better in stock form just by going chrome/99 ecm?

I have read several posts/reviews about just swapping the ECU with no flashing or customizing and they get better idle/mpg/response.
Have a 99 there.. just need to build the boomslang for my 94 or maybe to my 91..
Albert0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 06:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Forum user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert0 View Post
Wow, you had the car since was the thing back in the day, brand new, that's awesome, so you noticed that the car worked better in stock form just by going chrome/99 ecm?

I have read several posts/reviews about just swapping the ECU with no flashing or customizing and they get better idle/mpg/response.
Have a 99 there.. just need to build the boomslang for my 94 or maybe to my 91..
Yes its become something of a family pet lol.

Yes the Chrome ECU was a plug-in improvement - but the OE ECU was bad which is why I went with Chrome originally. Adjustable ECU boost control under Chrome is a big benefit as well. We got it up to 390 WHP with minimal mods under Chrome but turns out the 25 year old single knock sensor had gone bad, so I ended up throwing a rod.

Went with AEM V2 with full closed-loop control off dual AFR and knock sensors for the rebuild.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Advanced Technical Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in