New To Datalogging... - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Advanced Technical Discussions

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2019, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

3kslnh is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default New To Datalogging...

Hey guys so I’ve got a 1996 SL-(single)Turbo and I wanna do some more datalogging/analyzing than my $25 amazon scanner allows...yanno, monitoring knock, etc. I’ve been reading through the forums as well as elsewhere on the inter webs and cannot seem to get an exact answer. I see the OpenPort 2.0 is a “simple” data-logging technology (I put that in quotes as this new car-modding thing isn’t simple in any aspect). So from what I understand, all I need to data log with the OP2 is the OP2, a USB cable and a PC, no? I also read that you can pretty much use something as simple as MS Excel to read the data that’s been logged. I just wanna know exactly what I need before I go buying things. Thank you so much!
PS please don’t flame me, I’m a ->noob<-
3kslnh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2019, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Vendor

Drives: 1995 Stealth TT
Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3
Feedback Score: 124 reviews
Default Re: New To Datalogging...

What ECU are you going to run?

Getrag Rebuilds, Strength, and Performance Improvements, Performance Parts, including AEM EMS, ACT Clutch, Southbend Clutch, Spec Clutch,
3000GT Fuel Injector Guide, Walbro, Snow Performance, OEM Mitsubishi Parts, Getrag Parts, Synchros, much more!

Chris @ Rvenge Performance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 12:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris @ Rvenge Performance View Post
What ECU are you going to run?
I’m running a stock 1996 SL ECU right now, but once school is out and I can work full time I’m most likely going to upgrade to a Chrome ECU so I have some more control. I’m not a huge fan of tuning with the MAFT because it doesn’t seem super consistent...

Old 05-19-2019, 12:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Vendor

Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3

It sounds like your best investment is going to be the Tactrix Open Port 2 then with EVO Scan. It may take a bit of work to get it to log what you want, but there is a LOT of info on the 99 ECU at least, so hopefully most of the important channels are similar.
Chris @ Rvenge Performance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 01:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Okay awesome. What’s the list of things I need for that? The OP2, SD Card, Laptop, USB Cable...
Old 05-19-2019, 02:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Vendor

that sound do it, you don't need the SD card unless you are going to do the automatic internal logging, which is pretty neat.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 91 3000GT VR4
jrhorne is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

You can always get BlackStealth's canbus converted and use torque pro app (or any other applications/software for that matter)

https://www.3si.org/forum/f4/convert...ue-app-809906/

https://www.3si.org/forum/f35/datalo...sion-q-811626/
Gt-347 Turbo Kit (~13g)--RC 550cc Injectors--Denso Fuel Pump--Apexi S-AFC II--Turboxs Boost Controller--3sx Air Filter--DNP Stainless Intake Pipe Kit--Turboxs BOV--Autometer Boost Gauge--AEM UEGO Wideband O2--EK2 Downpipe--Gutted Precats--Testpipe--Polished VR-4 Plug Wire Cover, Valve Cover, & Plenum--Stage 2 Twin Turbo Clutch Kit--Full Bomex Body Kit
jrhorne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 03:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris @ Rvenge Performance View Post
that sound do it, you don't need the SD card unless you are going to do the automatic internal logging, which is pretty neat.
Well I probably got one kicking around so “pretty neat” for free sounds awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhorne View Post
You can always get BlackStealth's canbus converted and use torque pro app (or any other applications/software for that matter)

https://www.3si.org/forum/f4/convert...ue-app-809906/

https://www.3si.org/forum/f35/datalo...sion-q-811626/
Reading through those they seem to be OBD-1 to OBD-2 adapters and my ECU is OBD-2 lol. How good is the Torque-Pro App anyway? I’ve read good and bad about it, and I was interested in trying one of those Bluetooth OBD-2 hookups and data-logging on an android phone that I have kicking around...
Old 05-19-2019, 10:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 91 3000GT VR4
jrhorne is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kslnh View Post
Reading through those they seem to be OBD-1 to OBD-2 adapters and my ECU is OBD-2 lol. How good is the Torque-Pro App anyway? Iíve read good and bad about it, and I was interested in trying one of those Bluetooth OBD-2 hookups and data-logging on an android phone that I have kicking around...
They are not just for OBD-1 to OBD-2; they convert any generation 3S ECU signal into high speed canbus (although still OBD2 port) so that you can obtain information at a higher refresh rate. I love torque. You can see my screen setup (parameters i monitor) on my thread i linked. And with the USB OBD-2 adapter, you can get over 200 PID/s, which is what you need for logging (e.g., you can log 20 parameters with a 0.1sec refresh rate, 10 with 0.05sec, etc).

Also, blackstealth gives you the custom PIDs to get knock and other parameters that you would not be able to get without it. I would not have even attempted to tune my own car with SAFC2 without it. Real time monitoring and logging are on point with the USB OBD2 adapter. Bluetooth works, but is just too slow to logging purposes. Torque interface and setup is quite good.
jrhorne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2019, 05:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Okay awesome I’ll check that out then!
PS is Blackstealth a computer genius? He comes up with some knifty things...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Advanced Technical Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country