Heat Management - Page 2 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Advanced Technical Discussions

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2019, 11:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: VR4, C43 AMG, R1M
OldMadBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default Re: Heat Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warzone View Post
Looking good, I'm planning to get creative with some duct work for my new oil cooler setup this winter. I have tons, and tons, and tons, of carbon panels and ducts I salvaged from my short time in the Motorsports world.

- Something commonly overlooked, is the weather stripping ontop of the firewall - removing it is a good cheap source of venting heat and pressure out from under the hood.
Re- weather strip removal - I'm pretty sure that this area is a high pressure zone - which is why the cabin air intake is located there and why EVO IX's have an inlet there. Removing the vent strip is more likely to suck cold air into the hood rather than vent hot air out - not necessarily a bad thing.

Original owner '94 VR4
Motor: All forged internals, Stge 3 heads, Stg 2 cams, 3SX S/S headers, 3SX Executioners V2, CSX racing SMIC, 760 injectors, 90mm TB, Aeromotive fuel pump, dual AFR, AEM V2 ECU with full-time closed loop, Snow Performance Stage 3 Water/Methanol, 3SX fuel rail, Mishimoto radiator, tons of other details, Tanabe 3" turbo-back.
Driveline: Clutch Masters 850 twin plate, rebuilt and braced 6 speed, 2 piece hybrid propshaft, Quaife front, Torsen center, KAAZ rear diffs, AP 6 piston brakes, Ohlin coil-overs, rear adjustable camber arms
Interior: rear seat deleted, Corbeau race seats.
OldMadBrit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: VR4, C43 AMG, R1M
OldMadBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Spent the day fitting the '99 nose and headlights.

I pushed the passenger side front fender, inwards at its front, ages back. So spent a couple of hours straitening it and adjusting it back to where it fits. Got everything lined up nice!

I got a set of NIB head and side lights to which I added LED's and OMG what a difference over 26 year old headlights lol.

I have sized and cut templates for new SMIC, cold air inlet and radiator ducts. They will get fabricated along with an undertray/splitter while its in for paint and will go on after I get it back.

The next big job will be fabricating a cold air inlet and air-box. Currently, the two filters are pulling hot air in from the passenger side radiator fan - not ideal lol.

Having serious second thoughts on hood vents. I really love the simple flowing lines of the stock hood and '99 nose. I have spent some time trying to design hood vents that complement the clean lines and curves - but failed miserably.

So am starting to move away from hood vents on the basis that:

1) the heat shielding around the turbos and headers have already made a huge improvement to IATs;
2) a cold air feed and airbox should give a big additional benefits to IAT - just stopping the front radiator fans from being the primary source of inlet air will be a big improvement.
3) the undertray/splitter's purpose is to create down-force by generating a low pressure zone under the nose. This will also vent hot engine bay air under the car behind it - which is how Mitsubishi did it originally.
Attached Thumbnails
Heat Management-20191012_170956.jpg   Heat Management-20191012_171010.jpg   Heat Management-20191012_171108.jpg  
BusterBrown likes this.
OldMadBrit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2019, 08:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Forum user

HOSS is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

for some reason i picture it with a victory hood
HOSS is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Advanced Technical Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in