Heat Management - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Advanced Technical Discussions

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2019, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: VR4, C43 AMG, R1M
OldMadBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default Heat Management

So as per my engine build thread (https://www.3si.org/forum/f42/vr4-ba...-stuff-589194/)

I now have my yellow beast back on the road. Its built to deliver ~700AWHP but we have it turned down to 515AWHP in part because we could not maintain decent charge air temps. That said at 3650lb with full tanks 515 WHP (~650 crank HP) its now lighter and more powerful than a Lambo' Murcialago.

So I have started this thread to document my attempts at modifying the engine bay to better manage temps. Plans include a new and modified '99 front end, ducted cold-air feed to the twin inlets and a new under-tray/splitter to increase the airflow through the radiator, oil cooler and IC's.

However, Phase 1 is all about limiting radiant heat from the manifolds and turbos.

So today, I fabricated and installed thermal blankets/barriers for both manifolds and turbos. I used aluminum backed lava fiber material from Heatshiled Products. I used their 1/2" thick material which they recommend for turbos and manifolds and is rated to 1800F

It only took about 3 hrs to fabricate and install. I also fitted a sleeve of Heatshield products 1/4" material over the IC return which runs over the top of the front turbo to reduce heat soak into the IC return air.

The results were immediate and significant. In no particular order:

1) Under hood temps are noticeably cooler and the plenum feels much cooler

2) both IC return air feeds are at the same temperature now. Previously the front turbo would heat soak the front return IC pipe and it would return significantly hotter air.

3) the alternator and the reg/rec pack is no longer bathed in radiant heat fro the new front header. So it runs much cooler and is no longer experiencing heat spikes and cycles.

4) Water temps are noticeably lower in around town, stop and go traffic - I suspect that the radiator was being impacted by radiant heat from the front turbo and header.

Overall, driving is much improved. It runs much smoother in stop and go traffic I suspect that both lower IAT and more stable sensor voltage are contributing to that.

On-boost performance stays consistent longer and my ass believes its pulling stronger and crisper.

I plan to do some data logging over the next week to get some actual data.

Next up will be the new 99 nose - so I can add the splitter and ducting
Attached Thumbnails
Heat Management-20190921_125032.jpg   Heat Management-20190921_122253.jpg   Heat Management-20190921_122304.jpg  
mdcrose and UnlikelyDoc like this.

Original owner '94 VR4
Motor: All forged internals, Stge 3 heads, Stg 2 cams, 3SX S/S headers, 3SX Executioners V2, CSX racing SMIC, 760 injectors, 90mm TB, Aeromotive fuel pump, dual AFR, AEM V2 ECU with full-time closed loop, Snow Performance Stage 3 Water/Methanol, 3SX fuel rail, Mishimoto radiator, tons of other details, Tanabe 3" turbo-back.
Driveline: Clutch Masters 850 twin plate, rebuilt and braced 6 speed, 2 piece hybrid propshaft, Quaife front, Torsen center, KAAZ rear diffs, AP 6 piston brakes, Ohlin coil-overs, rear adjustable camber arms
Interior: rear seat deleted, Corbeau race seats.
OldMadBrit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2019, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
New User - Please be kind

Drives: 94 VR4
UnlikelyDoc is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Re: Heat Management

How many feet did you end up needing?
UnlikelyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2019, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: 93 VR4
striker3 Level 1striker3 Level 1striker3 Level 1
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Ive used the heatshield products on my front manifold and both O2 housings. I have not done the turbos as yet but even just what I have done definitely makes a difference.
OldMadBrit likes this.
striker3 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum user

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlikelyDoc View Post
How many feet did you end up needing?
Far less than I bought lol. I got a 60" x 12" roll of 1/2" and used about half of it.
UnlikelyDoc likes this.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum user

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker3 View Post
Ive used the heatshield products on my front manifold and both O2 housings. I have not done the turbos as yet but even just what I have done definitely makes a difference.
Yes, I should have done this years ago. I made two "U" shaped blankets with fold down flaps for the ends. I left the bottom open so the Turbos can radiate heat downward and still get cooling air from underneath.

For OEM headers and turbos, the stock heat shields do a decent job. But I now have 3SX SS headers and at least 2 times the heat generation. I was also worried about frying the alternator - which I suspect I was starting to do. The only downside is that the SS headers are works of art but now they are hidden.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Marshall Taylor

Drives: 95 VR-4/67 Pro Vette
Marshall Taylor Level 1Marshall Taylor Level 1
Feedback Score: 35 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMadBrit View Post
Yes, I should have done this years ago. I made two "U" shaped blankets with fold down flaps for the ends. I left the bottom open so the Turbos can radiate heat downward and still get cooling air from underneath.

For OEM headers and turbos, the stock heat shields do a decent job. But I now have 3SX SS headers and at least 2 times the heat generation. I was also worried about frying the alternator - which I suspect I was starting to do. The only downside is that the SS headers are works of art but now they are hidden.
I used Heatshield blankets to cover my T3/T4 long tube manifolds. My manifolds are Sterling Silver Ceramic coated. Like you, my manifolds are now covered.

Function over beauty was my priority as well. Good luck with your 99 front clip, ducting and front splitter. All of the above certainly makes a big difference with Heat Management. You provided a nice write up.

Marshall
Stage 3 80 over Pampena Strocker, Crower Rods, DR Race Cams, UO Cam Gears, A-1 Head Studs, Stage 3 Heads / 1mm oversize valves / flows 300+ CFM / Pampena Headlift fix / Hi Rev Springs / Titanium retainers / 3rd Gen Lifters, Italo's Oil Pump Gears, Twin PTE Billet Dbl BB Turbos rated 610 HP each, Custom T3/T4 Long Tube Manifold Kit, Tial WGs, Tial BOV, Custom Upper Plenium with Q-45 90 mm TB, ID 2000 Injectors, 1100 HP FMIC, Big Weldon External Fuel Pump with street controller, Tank Sump, -12 AN Russell Pro Flex Supply / -8 AN Return, 25 Row Oil Cooler, 6 Qtr. Racing Oil Pan, Bellhousing Brace, RPS Twin CC Clutch, DR 6 Sp End Housing, 300m Output Shaft, M/W Input Spool, 6 Sp TC Brace, CFDS, Rays 300m Rear Axles, Stage 3 Snow Boost Cooler, 75HP NOS Wet Shot, Okada Plasma Ignition Booster, Stewart Electric Water Pump, Custom Expansion Tank, PWR Raditor, True 3" Dual Exhaust with Electric Cut Outs & X-Pipe, Mechman 220 Amp Alt, Solid Mounts, Pampena built Trans & TC. AEM Gauges, AEM V-2 Stand-a-lone, Twin Spal Fans, HKS Coil Overs, Wilwood Big Brake Kit, Stainless Steel Brake lines, Solid rear diff & shifter bushings, Custom PVC Set Up, Volk Upper Curved Rear Control Arms.
Marshall Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
New User - Please be kind

rossb is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Did you use one of their actual turbo blankets or did you just use the wrap directly?
rossb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2019, 06:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossb View Post
Did you use one of their actual turbo blankets or did you just use the wrap directly?
Neither, I used 1/2" sheet to fabricate two shields, each shaped like an upside down bath tub. Both are open at the bottom but inhibit upward and sideways radiation. They were designed to work with the next set of mods.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum user

Hood vent time!

Venting heat from the radiator and front turbo is relatively easy as the area above the hood is a low pressure zone and inside the hood is a high pressure zone - so a vent there should provide all that's needed.

The challenge with our TT platform is that venting the rear turbo the same as the front won't work, because the area hood above the rear turbo is a high pressure zone. Fortunately, this exact problem was already solved by Mitsubishi on the EVO X 0 which has its turbo behind the engine.

So my starting point is to adapt a set of hood vents intended for an EVO IX to my hood.

I ordered this set of CF finished vents from ebay for ~$300 and they arrived today. This is the general layout I'm aiming for.

The will need some trimming before they will sit flush. The first job is to make some templates and order a stock of cutting wheels for my dremel.
Attached Thumbnails
Heat Management-20190927_132105.jpg   Heat Management-20190927_132140.jpg  
gawdzinner likes this.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
I've been here way too long

Drives: 1992 3000GT VR4
Warzone is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Looking good, I'm planning to get creative with some duct work for my new oil cooler setup this winter. I have tons, and tons, and tons, of carbon panels and ducts I salvaged from my short time in the Motorsports world.

- Something commonly overlooked, is the weather stripping ontop of the firewall - removing it is a good cheap source of venting heat and pressure out from under the hood.
Warzone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Advanced Technical Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in