Refill ECS Struts - Thicker oil - Increased Dampening - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Tires,Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2016, 12:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
I've been here way too long

Drives: 1992 3000GT VR4
Warzone is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Default Refill ECS Struts - Thicker oil - Increased Dampening

I have about 3 sets of ECS Struts piled up most of which are blown/weak and they all are technically in my scrapyard pile to be tossed...

I was talking to a good ol' hot rodder who was talking about how back in the day they would drain the oil out of their shocks, and refill with thicker oil for increased dampening (Or the same)

I recently ditched the coilovers on my one car to go back to ECS + Tein Springs and I absolutely love it, I forgot how good that combo is...

Anyone have any thoughts on doing something like this? Most of what I've found is drilling a hole, draining old oil, adding new oil, bleeding/pumping the air out, then welding the hole shut...

My main concern is if you have a bad seal which is one of the reasons these struts go bad anyways - You'll just push all the fresh oil out, but I guess it can thin and breakdown over time as well even without leaking...

I'm sure it won't be long before ECS Struts become unavailable from Vendors/Mitsubishi, Would be nice to know its an option to have yours refilled when that day comes...
Warzone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2016, 01:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Unpaid Member

Drives: 92 Stealth TT
Inteldsign is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Default Re: Refill ECS Struts - Thicker oil - Increased Dampening

I've always fancied this myself. I suspect you'd need to sacrifice a few to complete failure before achieving a partial success.

Sent from my LG V10
Old 08-21-2016, 09:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1994 VR-4
StockVR-4 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was excited about ecs strut rebuild, too. I was even thinking about shorten the length of travel to compensate with the lowering springs. But they are filled with pressurize gas also, that we don't have equipment to do it.
StockVR-4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Vendor

Drives: 1995 Stealth TT
Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3
Feedback Score: 124 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockVR-4 View Post
I was excited about ecs strut rebuild, too. I was even thinking about shorten the length of travel to compensate with the lowering springs. But they are filled with pressurize gas also, that we don't have equipment to do it.
They have to be able to weld on a schrader type valve to pressurize them. DG talked about it for bilsteins on his site.

Getrag Rebuilds, Strength, and Performance Improvements, Performance Parts, including AEM EMS, ACT Clutch, Southbend Clutch, Spec Clutch,
3000GT Fuel Injector Guide, Walbro, Snow Performance, OEM Mitsubishi Parts, Getrag Parts, Synchros, much more!

Chris @ Rvenge Performance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2016, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

I thought the ECS struts were Oil Filled? STIM uses the word "Oil" at least, and on several of the blown struts there is a grease/dirt build up that looks like oil or something that has leaked out of the strut over time...

http://www.stealth316.com/images/stim/tim_02-12.gif

Would definitely be important to confirm if it is gas or oil filled...
Old 08-21-2016, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Money pit owner.

Drives: 1993 Stealth R/T TT
gawdzinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

i bought a new set of ECS shocks from ninja performance and now I'm saving the old set of ecs struts with the hope they can be saved/rebuilt.it seems to me the car is sitting higher with the new ECS shocks.

subbing for updates.

Mods from stock:
Reproduction 1996 Stealth spoiler, VMS 10mm spark plug wires with their aluminum separators, NGK BKR6EIX-11 spark plugs gapped to 0.32", Touren TR9 3190 wheels, Maximal high flow main catalytic converter, PowerStop front/rear slotted & drilled brake rotors and pads, Tiny catch can, Curt trailer hitch, 2nd gen rear bumper aluminum reinforcement, LED backup & license plate & interior bulbs, Pioneer AVH-X2500BT with backup camera, DSM SMICs converted by oohnoo, 3S warehouse sidemount oil cooler, EVO 8/9 blow off valve, EGR blockoff plates, Vented hood blister mod, Stainless bolt kit, LCDBC with, Innovate Motorsports LC-2 wideband for monitoring, 3SX Stainless-Steel Braided Brake Lines, 3SX Door Sills, High speed cooling fan mod, Retractable license plate holder, 3SX rear control arms, Snake eye mod, Pilot WI-HL6A 4656 Head Lamp Conversion Kit, K&N oil filter, Stant XACTSTAT #48217 thermostat, DNP Y pipe, Maximal 5-Speed Transfer Case Bracket, ACPT carbon fiber driveshaft

Last edited by gawdzinner; 08-21-2016 at 01:57 PM.
gawdzinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2016, 01:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Personally I think for what I do and plan to do with this car, the stock dampening is perfect - but would be a nice option to have a easy way to increase the overall dampening. This car specifically is not a race car, and will only see very casual track use, so I don't want to get into anything very race car like since I just ditched my coilovers to go back to ECS (which are forsale for the low price of $350 shipped to the 48 by the way)

Really I'm just looking for an alternative way to save ECS Struts since lets face it - There is only a limited supply of them...
Old 08-21-2016, 02:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: 93 VR4
striker3 Level 1striker3 Level 1striker3 Level 1
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warzone View Post
I thought the ECS struts were Oil Filled? STIM uses the word "Oil" at least, and on several of the blown struts there is a grease/dirt build up that looks like oil or something that has leaked out of the strut over time...

http://www.stealth316.com/images/stim/tim_02-12.gif

Would definitely be important to confirm if it is gas or oil filled...
They are oil filled but they are also pressurized with a gas to keep air bubbles from forming in the oil as it gets forced through the tiny orifices. This is standard practice and gets called "gas charged"
striker3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2016, 05:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wheee! 2 wheels is fun!

Drives: Various Japanese
speedy25 Level 1speedy25 Level 1speedy25 Level 1
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker3 View Post
They are oil filled but they are also pressurized with a gas to keep air bubbles from forming in the oil as it gets forced through the tiny orifices. This is standard practice and gets called "gas charged"
And thats why you cant just refill them. There were some struts out in the real world that you unscrewed the old top and threw away the seal/piston/shaft and replaced it with a cartridge. Not applicable on this platform though.

-SP
speedy25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2016, 05:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

I've seen some people do inserts, and the struts being sold/on cars with inserts - but I don't feel like any of the inserts out there outperform the ECS... plus they aren't ECS..

That sucks though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Tires,Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in