Advice/Expertise on Replacing Sub-Frame plus Engine Cradle - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Tires,Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

sean.irwin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hey guys,

I have a bent subframe and apparently the engine cradle as well. I’m going to pick up the 3 front pieces (picking up everything but what is circled) for the subframe this week and install them to hopefully fix the horrible positive camber I have on my front right from the wreck.

I looked over the service manual on 3sx website for the car and could not find anywhere about the installation or taking off of the subframe/engine cradle. Can someone tell me where it is in there or point me to a thread (that I couldn’t find) of replacing the subframe?
Attached Thumbnails
Advice/Expertise on Replacing Sub-Frame plus Engine Cradle-c165e6cc-d932-4b91-92ba-702cda5c8195_1558013968858.jpeg  
sean.irwin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2019, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Money pit owner.

Drives: 1993 Stealth R/T TT
gawdzinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Default Re: Advice/Expertise on Replacing Sub-Frame plus Engine Cradle

the left and right cross members can be done in your garage with the car on jack stands. pretty simple as i recall. the front one requires that the radiator come out and the engine is supported, again can be done in your garage with the car on jack stands. bolts have a high torque spec, so have a breaker bar handy to bust'em loose.

Someone else should confirm, but the rear support, circled red in your picture, I believe has the lower control arms on it, in addition to the rear motor mount. personally i would not do that one myself unless you had a hoist and the ability to align your wheels. while doing the rear one you might as well put in a new motor mount as well as any worn suspension parts like bushings, tie rods or ball joints, and repair your steering rack if it leaks. A shop will probably want to charge a full day to swap in a new rear support while not doing other incidental repairs.

Mods from stock:
Extreme Dimensions reproduction 1996 Stealth spoiler, VMS 10mm spark plug wires with their aluminum separators, NGK BKR6EIX-11 spark plugs gapped down to 0.32", Touren TR9 3190 wheels, Maximal high flow main catalytic converter, PowerStop front/rear slotted & drilled brake rotors with pads, T-bolt stainless clamps, Curt trailer hitch, 2nd gen rear bumper aluminum reinforcement, LED backup & license plate bulbs, Pioneer AVH-X2500BT with backup camera, DSM SMICs converted by oohnoo, 3S warehouse sidemount oil cooler, EVO 8/9 blow off valve, EGR blockoff plates, Vented hood blister mod, Rebuilt stock throttle body, Stainless bolt kit, LCDBC as an ECU monitor, 3SX Stainless-Steel Braided Brake Lines, 3SX Door Sills, High speed cooling fan mod, Retractable license plate holder, 3SX rear control arms, Snake eye mod, Pilot WI-HL6A 4656 Head Lamp Conversion Kit, K&N oil filter, Stant XACTSTAT #48217 thermostat, DNP Y pipe, Maximal 5-Speed Transfer Case Bracket

Last edited by gawdzinner; 05-16-2019 at 03:25 PM.
gawdzinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawdzinner View Post
the left and right cross members can be done in your garage with the car on jack stands. pretty simple as i recall. the front one requires that the radiator come out and the engine is supported, again can be done in your garage with the car on jack stands. bolts have a high torque spec, so have a breaker bar handy to bust'em loose.

Someone else should confirm, but the rear support, circled red in the picture, I believe has the lower control arms on it, in addition to the rear motor mount. personally i would not do that one myself unless you had a hoist and the ability to align your wheels. while doing the rear one you might as well put in a new motor mount as well as any worn suspension parts like bushings, tie rods or ball joints, and repair your steering rack if it leaks. A shop will probably want to charge a full day to swap in a new rear support while not doing other incidental repairs.
Thanks for the video! Ok good to know for the front one with taking out the radiator; I have a couple breaker bars. When you say supposed the engine,I could use a jack to keep it lifted and in place?

Old 05-16-2019, 03:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Money pit owner.

yeah, the guy in the video puts a board and jack under the oil pan, typically a no-no but you may not have other options. I recall doing the same but using a board with a hollowed out area for the oil pickup.
I've never done the front cross member myself, but he seems to "let it hang" lol
by the way, he seems to let the radiator stay where it is and just folds the intercooler hose back to gain access to the front motor mount bolts, whatever works I guess! I have a larger aluminum radiator, so there's not much room.
the problem with these 25+ year old cars is that you discover/uncover other issues when doing a major teardown, and that means more fixes/parts slowing you down.

Last edited by gawdzinner; 05-16-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elevate

Drives: '95 3000gt VR-4
vSol is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

^why the heck do you have to take the radiator out for any of those pieces? you don't have to on my car..

I did a subframe restore on mine last summer and had them all out. didn't need any support under the car for the front pieces, as I have hard Poly motor mounts. OEM ones may need support

The rear big piece is where the work is. All the other subframe pieces come off with just a few bolts. The big piece needs lots of parts removed to get it out. Off the top of my head, downpipe, transfer-case, steering rack, control arms, sway bay, unbolt the rear motor mount (this is one of the most annoying bolts to get to. IDK if there is a trick to the rear mount or not, but mine involved several long extensions, swivel joint sockets, a regular box wrench strategically placed to wedge on something, etc.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Money pit owner.

thanks vsol, i've not done the front/rear cross members myself, I'm going by what i recall seeing while rolling around under the car! lol
Good luck Sean!
Old 05-17-2019, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vSol View Post
^why the heck do you have to take the radiator out for any of those pieces? you don't have to on my car..

I did a subframe restore on mine last summer and had them all out. didn't need any support under the car for the front pieces, as I have hard Poly motor mounts. OEM ones may need support

The rear big piece is where the work is. All the other subframe pieces come off with just a few bolts. The big piece needs lots of parts removed to get it out. Off the top of my head, downpipe, transfer-case, steering rack, control arms, sway bay, unbolt the rear motor mount (this is one of the most annoying bolts to get to. IDK if there is a trick to the rear mount or not, but mine involved several long extensions, swivel joint sockets, a regular box wrench strategically placed to wedge on something, etc.
Awesome, thank you for the info man!
I’m planning on doing the front 3 pieces this weekend. But the rear cradle I’m going to have to wait and buy some bushings and other goodies to change out since I will be doing a huge overhaul.

When you did the rear cradle, how did you keep the engine supported?
Old 05-17-2019, 06:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawdzinner View Post
yeah, the guy in the video puts a board and jack under the oil pan, typically a no-no but you may not have other options. I recall doing the same but using a board with a hollowed out area for the oil pickup.
I've never done the front cross member myself, but he seems to "let it hang" lol
by the way, he seems to let the radiator stay where it is and just folds the intercooler hose back to gain access to the front motor mount bolts, whatever works I guess! I have a larger aluminum radiator, so there's not much room.
the problem with these 25+ year old cars is that you discover/uncover other issues when doing a major teardown, and that means more fixes/parts slowing you down.
Yeah that is a big no no... the wreck dented my oil pan up and bent my oil pickup. Last month I dropped my pan replaced oil pickup and pushed the dent out.... is there any other way to support the engine?
Old 05-17-2019, 08:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 93 VR4
striker3 Level 1striker3 Level 1striker3 Level 1
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

The weight of the engine and trans is supported by the side mounts on the fenders. The front and rear lower mounts that bolt to the crossmembers only restrict rotation of the engine from torque. As long as you dont remove the side mounts you dont need to support the engine with anything else. If you really want to you can use a 4x4 across the fenders with a chain.
striker3 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019, 10:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1995 3000GT SL
ricpad is an unknown quantity at this point

https://shop.harborfreight.com/media...mage_11976.jpg

One of these engine support bars might work as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ricpad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Tires,Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country