94 3000gt sl struts - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Tires,Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2019, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
New User - Please be kind

Freak is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 94 3000gt sl struts

My Turbo and Sport light are flashing which thanks to you lovely people led me to my struts going bad. I found two ECS caps in Ohio for the car but I'm pretty sure it's just my struts not the ECS cap. Do any of you by chance know of a place that has the struts? My 94 has all original struts front and back so I'd like to replace all of them. I can find the non ecs struts everywhere

If I'm unable to locate ECS struts, what parts do I have to swap out to go to non ECS? Is it just the cap and the strut or is there something else?
Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

rossb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 94 3000gt sl struts

I think you are going to be hard pressed to find brand new ECS parts. I think Cherry Hill is out of them. I have a full working set I just took off my 93 vr4 that I might be willing to part with(I think it is the same ECS across all model years). Otherwise you'll probably need to go to coilovers, which are relatively easy to install.
rossb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

How much you thinking for the set?

If i cant find a set im fine with converting but im also ssduming i gave to swap a few other parts as well though im not sure which other then the caps.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

duke3k Level 1duke3k Level 1duke3k Level 1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

(1) The VR4 Front ECS struts are the same for SL. The VR4 rears wont fit the SL.

(2) You keep assuming it's the ECS strut that is bad. it may not be. it may be the strut cap wiring harness that has failed. You may be able to keep the ECS if it's just the cap thats bad. You need to diagnose which strut is throwing an error code.

(3) If you end up converting to non-ECS AND you want to replace the front or rear struts you can order KYB Non-ecs struts and that's all you will need. All the other strut h/w you can reuse. you don't need a cap since there will be nothing to connect to.

(3a) and on that point if the ECS strut itself is still working from a dampening perspective (i..e no bouncy bounce -cadillac ride ) and you don't want to replace the cap - just disconnect the ECS computer in the trunk and your sport/tour lights will stop blinking..

www.renegadetechworks.com Open Source 3000gt ECS Retrofit & Replacement Controllers
duke3k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the info!

Im pretty sure my rear struts are shot as the back end bounces like a kid on Santa's lap, but yer right, i should check the connections just to make sure.

I've been looking at the KYB struts on Rock Auto as they are the makers of the origional ecs struts but I want sure what else i would need.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

duke3k Level 1duke3k Level 1duke3k Level 1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Regarding the strut cap connections

(1) reseat all the plugs (carefully) I’ve seen this fix problems

(2) if reseating doesn’t work the wires in the front caps may have broken. This is common failure.
duke3k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

I just noticed my SRS light is on as well and all of this started after i had a full wheel alignment. Im wondering if they had to disconnect them when they did it?
Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: 93 VR4
striker3 Level 1striker3 Level 1striker3 Level 1
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

SRS (Supplemental Restraint System) light is for the airbags and has nothing to do with the suspension.

There is also no reason for them to touch the ECS connectors when doing an alignment.
striker3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Tires,Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in