Scratched Cam lobe - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2019, 09:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

therustyspoon6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Scratched Cam lobe

Hey everyone, thanks again for all the information you all have been able to provide me on this car!

I installed the 3sx lifters this weekend, unfortunately one of them wasn't seated right when I ran the motor.. When I popped the front valve cover I found it, and now the cam lobe has an appreciable scratch on it . Deep enough to dig your fingernail into.

I guess my question is, is there harm in leaving the cam scratched like that? Should I leave it alone or am I looking at putting in a new one now?
therustyspoon6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2019, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Vendor

Drives: 1995 Stealth TT
Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3
Feedback Score: 124 reviews
Default Re: Scratched Cam lobe

As long as its not proud on top of the surface the roller rockers will go right over it. It wouldn't hurt to go over the scratch with 400 and then 1000 grit, being careful to keep grit out of the engine. Don't try to polish out the scratch, just any high spots.

Getrag Rebuilds, Strength, and Performance Improvements, Performance Parts, including AEM EMS, ACT Clutch, Southbend Clutch, Spec Clutch,
3000GT Fuel Injector Guide, Walbro, Snow Performance, OEM Mitsubishi Parts, Getrag Parts, Synchros, much more!

Chris @ Rvenge Performance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2019, 05:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Doc

Drives: 93 VR4, 91 GTO
68Whiskey is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris @ Rvenge Performance View Post
As long as its not proud on top of the surface the roller rockers will go right over it. It wouldn't hurt to go over the scratch with 400 and then 1000 grit, being careful to keep grit out of the engine. Don't try to polish out the scratch, just any high spots.
I agree w this.
Should be ok, the width of the lobe is more than enough to make up for it. Just make sure there isn't any burrs.

BSN, RN, EMT
68Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
I've been here way too long

Drives: 91 tsi
donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Make sure there aren’t any high spots, the low spot won’t be an issue.
donniekak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2019, 02:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Thanks for the input. I feel a lot better about this now. Engine still sounds a little loud but I might have a lifter or two that haven't shut up yet
Old 06-17-2019, 09:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Thought I'd re-open this post in search of a little more information...

After this install of the 3sx lifters and driving the car, all of the lifters have quieted down except for one. I'm still getting a tapping noise from the front valve cover. Almost sounds like helicopter blades if I put my ear against the front valve cover.

Could this be related to these new lifters?? I don't remember the car doing this before I installed these

Pulled the front valve cover tonight, all the lifters seemed to be pumped and hard. Still confused.

Last edited by therustyspoon6; 06-17-2019 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

HOSS is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

its still possible that one may have trapped air if you did not pump them when they where in presoak
HOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Money pit owner.

Drives: 1993 Stealth R/T TT
gawdzinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

You can idle the car with the front valve cover off if you are having trouble finding the exact source of the noise.

Mods from stock:
Reproduction 1996 Stealth spoiler, VMS 10mm spark plug wires with their aluminum separators, NGK BKR6EIX-11 spark plugs gapped to 0.32", Touren TR9 3190 wheels, Maximal high flow main catalytic converter, PowerStop front/rear slotted & drilled brake rotors and pads, Tiny catch can, Curt trailer hitch, 2nd gen rear bumper aluminum reinforcement, LED backup & license plate & interior bulbs, Pioneer AVH-X2500BT with backup camera, DSM SMICs converted by oohnoo, 3S warehouse sidemount oil cooler, EVO 8/9 blow off valve, EGR blockoff plates, Vented hood blister mod, Stainless bolt kit, LCDBC as an ECU monitor, 3SX Stainless-Steel Braided Brake Lines, 3SX Door Sills, High speed cooling fan mod, Retractable license plate holder, 3SX rear control arms, Snake eye mod, Pilot WI-HL6A 4656 Head Lamp Conversion Kit, K&N oil filter, Stant XACTSTAT #48217 thermostat, DNP Y pipe, Maximal 5-Speed Transfer Case Bracket, ACPT carbon fiber driveshaft
gawdzinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 02:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawdzinner View Post
You can idle the car with the front valve cover off if you are having trouble finding the exact source of the noise.
Thought about doing that for a hot sec but didn't want to risk getting oil splashed on my timing belt - I'll try it and report back

Last edited by therustyspoon6; 06-18-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Still haven't been able to find the source of this tapping noise.
I took all the front lifters out and re-primed them, put them back in. They all quieted down but I can still hear this noise.

It's loudest if I put my ear against the front timing cover. I took the timing covers off and the belt looks nice and tight still. Any thoughts where to check next?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country